Author Topic: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco  (Read 13905 times)

Offline Gramsci

Re: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
Focaccia di Recco is made with Strachino-Crescenza cheese. Bel Gioso makes a commercial version. The dough is unleavened and it helps if you have both top heat and bottom heat (ie. electric pizza deck oven).  Perhaps the greatest example of this focaccia in the US can be found at Farina restaurant in San Francisco's mission district.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »
Focaccia di Recco is made with Strachino-Crescenza cheese. Bel Gioso makes a commercial version. The dough is unleavened and it helps if you have both top heat and bottom heat (ie. electric pizza deck oven).  Perhaps the greatest example of this focaccia in the US can be found at Farina restaurant in San Francisco's mission district.

Antonio,

Steve (Ev) purchased me some Stracchino cheese today in Reading, Pa., but I am not sure if it is the Strachino-Crescenza cheese.  Steve told me the Stracchino cheese was hard, but I haven't seen it yet.  Do you know if the cheese is supposed to be hard?  I have my gas deck oven at market to try if you think that might work.  Thanks for telling me that the greatest example of this focaccia in the US is found at Farina restaurant in the San Francisco's mission district.  I will look at Google images for some photos.

Do you have any recipes that you have tried that might work?  Thanks for your help!  ;)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Gramsci

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »
stracchino and crescenza are used interchangeably...it is a soft cheese similar in texture to a brie...very creamy with dairy bite.

a simple ny style dough without yeast is all that is needed...when rolling it out..use semolina on the bench. and a generous amount of olive oil on top...really drench it.

it is delicious

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
stracchino and crescenza are used interchangeably...it is a soft cheese similar in texture to a brie...very creamy with dairy bite.

a simple ny style dough without yeast is all that is needed...when rolling it out..use semolina on the bench. and a generous amount of olive oil on top...really drench it.

it is delicious

Antonio,

Steve told me he didn't open the package to taste it, because he wanted to wait and see how much I needed for next week.  I will wait until next week to see if it is the right kind of cheese, but it might not be.  Thanks for explaining how it is supposed to be.

I will see what I can find in a NY style dough that might work.  Do you know what kind of flour that is used?  Thanks also for telling me to use semolina on the bench and a generous amount of live oil on top

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »

Antonio,

I searched for photos of Foccaccia di Recco at and found these. 

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2011/05/06/favorite-dishes-pizza-and-salad/farina-focaccia/   

http://www.italyinsf.com/2008/07/07/farina-san-francisco/

http://www.nosaladasameal.com/2008/07/farina-san-francisco.html 

http://weirdcombinations.com/2010/06/farina-san-francisco/

http://gastronomichael.blogspot.com/2010/12/liguria-in-sf-dinner-at-farina-focaccia.html

In the last link it show how big Farnia's makes their Focaccia de Recco.

This is a link to also shows some photos of the dough. http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/11/smoked-ham-and-butternut-squash.html 

These are some recipes for Focaccia de Recco, but I don't know how good they might be.

http://www.manusmenu.com/focaccia-di-recco 

http://italianfood.about.com/od/breadspizza/r/blr0708.htm

http://www.academiabarilla.com/italian-recipes/bread-focaccia-pizzas-1/focaccia-recco.aspx

synaesthesa posted the recipe at Reply 34 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg255560.html#msg255560   but I am not sure how to convert that for my steel pan.  I will try a high gluten flour like synaesthesa uses.

Norma

Offline Gramsci

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 11:31:12 AM »
norma\

that's me in the photo holding the camera in the foodwishes.blogspot

what a small world

focaccia di recchio is a worthy endeavor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
norma\

that's me in the photo holding the camera in the foodwishes.blogspot

what a small world

focaccia di recchio is a worthy endeavor

Antonio,

Yes, it sure is a small world if that is you holding the camera in that photo.   8)  Did you know your photo was being taken?   

I also believe trying to make a decent focaccia di recco is a worthy endeavor, but I don't know how successful I will be.  The Stracchino cheese that Steve purchased for me was 7.00 a half pound, so I don't know how much experimenting I can do at that price for a cheese.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 06:43:51 AM »
Hi Norma

The flour I use is similar to Italian pizza Caputo Tipo 00 flour. But ours is manufactured in Australia for breadmaking and has high gluten content, not the normal 00 flour that has low gluten content and is better for certain pastas.

There is Strachinno is Sydney, made fresh, but I can't get to it from here in the Gold Coast! And yes Strachinno (Crescenza) is a soft cheese and creamy. I'll have a go at making the cheese myself...

BTW, I love Accademia Barrila -- I have their books on Pasta and bread. Their pasta recipes have taught me loads and loads.... However, their pizzas look anaemic to me, looks more 'domestic' and far removed from the pizza nerds in the pizza forums....(haha) , and their focaccia di recco is similar. PizzaUniversity.it has a better take on this focaccia...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 06:59:21 AM by synaesthesia »

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 06:58:51 AM »
Come fare la pizza focaccia di Recco 1. Cuocere nel forno elettrico. Corso di Pizza University

Come fare la Pizza focaccia di Recco 2 Corso di Pizza University

Come fare la Pizza focaccia di Recco 3. Usare il forno elettrico. Corso di Pizza University

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
Hi Norma

The flour I use is similar to Italian pizza Caputo Tipo 00 flour. But ours is manufactured in Australia for breadmaking and has high gluten content, not the normal 00 flour that has low gluten content and is better for certain pastas.

There is Strachinno is Sydney, made fresh, but I can't get to it from here in the Gold Coast! And yes Strachinno (Crescenza) is a soft cheese and creamy. I'll have a go at making the cheese myself...

BTW, I love Accademia Barrila -- I have their books on Pasta and bread. Their pasta recipes have taught me loads and loads.... However, their pizzas look anemic to me, looks more 'domestic' and far removed from the pizza nerds in the pizza forums....(haha) , and their focaccia di recco is similar. PizzaUniversity.it has a better take on this focaccia...

synaesthesia,

I didn't know there was a 00 flour that was higher in protein.  Thanks for telling me that Strachinno is a soft cheese and is creamy.  I wonder what flour I should try. 

I will have to look at PizzaUniversity.it and their type of this kind of focaccia to see their recipes.  Is that where you got the recipe you are using?  I haven't heard of Accademia Barilla before.  I find what you posted is interesting in that the pizzas look anemic to you.  I also find the same thing too, when looking at my facebook friends pizzas from Italy.  Their pizzas don't look anything like the Neapolitan pizzas posted here on the forum and those people do own pizzerias. 

Thanks so much for the videos from pizzaUniversity.it.  I find the second and 3rd videos really interesting in how the pie maker opens the dough and uses that unique rolling pin. 

BTW I am going to try to make the Strachinno like you posted at Reply 38 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg255993.html#msg255993  in that video.  I purchased the whole raw milk, half & half and yogurt yesterday, and I did have rennet at home from when I made some attempts at making mozzarella before.  I also purchased some cheesecloth.  I might try to make the Strachinno tomorrow.  I watched that video and it sure takes a lot of hours to make the Strachinno,  but I will see if I can be successful.  :-\

Good luck if you try to make Strachinno.   ;D

I really don't know how to convert your recipe you gave at Reply 34 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg255560.html#msg255560  I don't use ml.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
Good luck with the cheese! I'd like to see how it goes.. I need to get some rennet. After reading the forum last might I made a focaccia at midnight! I used cottage chees as that was all I had and I thought... not good enough, gotta get the right cheese!  You can convert  volume here:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/ml/to/oz

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
Good luck with the cheese! I'd like to see how it goes.. I need to get some rennet. After reading the forum last might I made a focaccia at midnight! I used cottage chees as that was all I had and I thought... not good enough, gotta get the right cheese!  You can convert  volume here:
http://www.convertunits.com/from/ml/to/oz

synaesthesia,

Thanks for the good luck with making the Stracchino.  I sure don't know how that will go.  I only have vegetable rennet, so I am not sure how that will work either, but it did work when I tried to make some mozzarellas. 

Wow, you sure are a fan of this type of focaccia if you made it at midnight.  :-D >:D We have different types of cottage cheeses in our area, but I am not a fan of any of them. 

Thanks for the conversion tool.  I found a two containers at home that do have ml readings on them, so I will probably use them. 

Norma

Offline andyt

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
I first made Foccacia di Recco in 2004 using the recipe on pages 242-244 of American Pie.  Largest diameter I ever got was 12".

He mentions stracchino, saying it is hard to find.  As a substitute, he recommends young Brie or Camembert with rind removed or marscapone.  In a pinch he has used American cream cheese whipped with a little sour cream, yielding respectable results. 

Happy Foccacia
andyt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
I first made Foccacia di Recco in 2004 using the recipe on pages 242-244 of American Pie.  Largest diameter I ever got was 12".

He mentions stracchino, saying it is hard to find.  As a substitute, he recommends young Brie or Camembert with rind removed or marscapone.  In a pinch he has used American cream cheese whipped with a little sour cream, yielding respectable results. 

Happy Foccacia
andyt

Andt,

Thanks for posting you when you made Focaccia di Recco you used the recipe in American Pie.  I don't have that book so I would appreciate if you told me how your focaccia turned out.  What kind of flour did you use? 

Thanks for telling me what other cheeses could be tried and also about the America cream cheese whipped with a little sour cream.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2013, 09:15:56 PM »

Wow, you sure are a fan of this type of focaccia if you made it at midnight.  :-D >:D

Norma

Was surfing this forum and I got hungry... it happens! Quark is still my best substitute so far, I'll have a go a making Strachinno though.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
Was surfing this forum and I got hungry... it happens! Quark is still my best substitute so far, I'll have a go a making Strachinno though.

synaesthesia,

I know how surfing this forum can make you hungry with all of the beautiful pizzas and foods.   :-D  I thought I was going to try and make the Stracchino today, but I got sidelined.  Tomorrow will be the day.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:54 PM »
synaesthesia,

I know how surfing this forum can make you hungry with all of the beautiful pizzas and foods.   :-D  I thought I was going to try and make the Stracchino today, but I got sidelined.  Tomorrow will be the day.

Norma
Sounds awesome Norma..good luck!
I can almost bet money that it will turn out perfect because you always bring your A game to the dishes you prepare on Sundays. Look forward to seeing your success nice lady.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:13 AM »
Sounds awesome Norma..good luck!
I can almost bet money that it will turn out perfect because you always bring your A game to the dishes you prepare on Sundays. Look forward to seeing your success nice lady.  8)

Bob,

Thanks for the good luck.  8) I will need it.  I am not experienced at all in making that cheese and sure don't know how it will turn out, but as you know I do like to experiment.  If it doesn't turn out, I probably won't be trying to make it again.   :-D

Norma

Offline andyt

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2013, 10:15:12 AM »
Norma

Peter Reinhart actually went to Recco and got a demo in the kitchen of how they made the pie.  I have attached a link to his recipe on Pizza Quest, complete with Recco photos.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/147-focaccia-col-formaggio-di-recco.html

When I make it I use King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour.  Rolling it out takes some patience because it stretches back.  I don't use a pan so after placing the top layer of dough, I crimp the edges, brush with olive oil, add salt, cut vent holes and place directly on a stone in a 500F convection oven.  We really enjoy it because it is so different and yet easy to make. 

Up thread at reply 26, dmaxdmax posted the June Vogue had a recipe by Jeffrey Steingarten that he was going to attempt, looking forward to his results.

All the Best
andyt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »
Norma

Peter Reinhart actually went to Recco and got a demo in the kitchen of how they made the pie.  I have attached a link to his recipe on Pizza Quest, complete with Recco photos.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/147-focaccia-col-formaggio-di-recco.html

When I make it I use King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour.  Rolling it out takes some patience because it stretches back.  I don't use a pan so after placing the top layer of dough, I crimp the edges, brush with olive oil, add salt, cut vent holes and place directly on a stone in a 500F convection oven.  We really enjoy it because it is so different and yet easy to make. 

Up thread at reply 26, dmaxdmax posted the June Vogue had a recipe by Jeffrey Steingarten that he was going to attempt, looking forward to his results.

All the Best
andyt

andyt,

I don't know where my brain was, but at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.0.html that was the recipe I tried from Peter Reinhart on Pizza Quest.  :-D

Thanks for telling me you used KAAP when you made the focaccia di recco.  I know when rolling it out it takes some patience because it want to stretch back.  I also hope dmaxdmax comes back and posts the recipe from Jeffey Steingarten. 

I think, but don't know, that the cheese is the elusive thing for me.  Of course I would like to know if other members have tried other recipes or cheeses.

I really like how you said it is easy to make and is so different.  ;D

Norma

pizzapan