Author Topic: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco  (Read 13761 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Focaccia col Formaggio di Recco
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
>:D

Bob,

How much easier do you want dough to stretch than what I did?   >:D :-D  It is that dang flakiness that isn't right again.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2013, 07:37:06 AM »
Steve and I made another attempt at the focaccia di recco yesterday.  I used Peter Reinhart's recipe this time and mixed the dough on Monday evening.  The dough was really easy to mix with the flat beater only on my Kitchen Aid mixer.  KAAP was used as the flour and the dough was divided into two dough balls.  Since Peter Reinhart's recipe has no oil in the ingredients I had forgotten somewhat how this recipe turned out when stretching the dough and also in the bake, but thought I had recalled that the dough did want to stretch back some and also stick together when stretching into a skin. 

I think I used to much olive oil when starting to roll the dough.  When trying to stretch this dough by hand it sure wasn't as easy to stretch as the skin was last week.  The skin wanted to stick together in many places.  The skin also wanted to tear.  Steve and I did manage to place it into a steel pan I had. I also had oiled the steel pan yesterday and had seasoned it in the oven one more time.  As can be seen the pan was highly seasoned at one time.  :-D  I think I only used this steel pan one other time, but can't recall what I used this steel pan for.  I think this steel pan would make a really nice Greek style pizza though.  I might have to try this steel pan for a Greek style pizza sometime.  I wonder though if any pizzerias that make Greek style pizza do offer this large of a Greek style pizza. 

Steve rolled out the second dough ball and he also had problems when stretching by hand.  The skin wanted to stick together too.  We didn't put any extra olive oil on the bench for the second dough ball before Steve rolled it out.  We both placed the skin over the pan.  Steve brushed olive oil on the top skin, cut the slits, sealed the two doughs together and brushed with olive oil and grated some sea salt over the top. 

The pizza baked okay and when Steve went to slice it, it was very crispy and flaky.  I know we should not have tried this experiment when we were busy, because we were then too busy to be able to taste it for a long while.  I was surprised though at how many passerby's stopped and asked what kind of pizza the focaccia di recco was and how many customers wanted to taste that pizza.  We told them it was only an experiment and we weren't selling any of the slices, but did explain to them what kind of pizza it was.  Two Italian ladies I know we did give slices to after it had cooled down for a long while.  Both recalled their grandmother's made something like this type of pizza. 

The cheese did melt well on this pizza and didn't oil off. 

When Steve and I went to try this pizza it wasn't as crispy or flaky anymore and we thought that detracted from the overall taste.  I also reheated a slice but that slice still wasn't as crispy or flaky as when the pizza was slice.  I also wonder what was up with that, when slices usually get crisper after a reheat.  ::)

Norma
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:40:30 AM by norma427 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
Norma

Offline synaesthesia

• Good food tastes better with a good hot sauce!
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »

Congratualtions. ;D

I see evidence it has been duly scoffed up and consumed! Success..... it sure  looks flaky. (in a good way!) :drool:

I sometimes add oil when kneading before stretching. I find when I am impatient it tears, but if you roll it up back in a ball , knead it a bit maybe with a couple of drops of water and/or oil  and let rest (to rehydrate if you were kneading & rolling with added  flour), it will allow a perfect re-stretch.

perfetto! :chef: :chef: :chef:
3 chef hats!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
Congratualtions. ;D

I see evidence it has been duly scoffed up and consumed! Success..... it sure  looks flaky. (in a good way!) :drool:

I sometimes add oil when kneading before stretching. I find when I am impatient it tears, but if you roll it up back in a ball , knead it a bit maybe with a couple of drops of water and/or oil  and let rest (to rehydrate if you were kneading & rolling with added  flour), it will allow a perfect re-stretch.

perfetto! :chef: :chef: :chef:
3 chef hats!

synaesthesia,

Thanks for the congrats, but if you look at what I posted my attempt at a focaccia di recco had changed until Steve and I had a chance to taste it.  It went from crispy and flaky to being just okay.  I wish I could have tasted it when it was fresh, but that happens different times at market if it gets busier. 

Thanks for telling me what you do sometimes to allow a perfect re-stretch. 

I don't know when I will try to make focaccia di recco again.  I would have to make some more cheese since I am now out of the cheese I made.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »
Hi Norma

This has to be eaten pretty much shortly after it has been cooked to be enjoyed. At least I think so....

;D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 08:13:56 AM »
Hi Norma

This has to be eaten pretty much shortly after it has been cooked to be enjoyed. At least I think so....

;D

synaesthesia,

That is what I thought.  I don't know why the texture of the two crusts changes so much when they cool down, but that is exactly what happened.  I know I should not try experiments out at market for something like this type of pizza.  Far too many times something gets in the way of trying a fresh pizza out of the oven.  :-D

Norma

Offline Gramsci

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »
Wow

That looks like it came from the Liguorian coast.

Bravo

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
Wow

That looks like it came from the Liguorian coast.

Bravo

Antonio,

Thanks!  :) If only Steve and I had a chance to try it out of the oven I think it would have been much better.  As I posted it sat out a long while (hours) before we finally got to taste a slice.  I want to try to make focaccia di recco again when I find time, but if I do it at market I will make it at the end of the night.  At least that way I will get to taste it right out of the oven.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »
Focaccia di Recco with home made Stracchino.  Does the cheese make a difference? It sure does.  It seems to melt at the right consistency so as not to render the dough too wet but still cooks to a creamy texture for consumption....not dried out or hardened.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2013, 11:03:10 PM »
Looks like it is light as a cloud...a very happy cloud.  :)   Nice work there synaesthesia !  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »
Focaccia di Recco with home made Stracchino.  Does the cheese make a difference? It sure does.  It seems to melt at the right consistency so as not to render the dough too wet but still cooks to a creamy texture for consumption....not dried out or hardened.

synaesthesia,

You nailed it altogether!   :chef:   ;D  Wow, you cheese and foccacia di recco look delicious!  Wish I could have tried at least a slice. 

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2013, 04:19:35 AM »
Cheers Chicago Bob & Norma, and Norma if not for you I would not have made the cheese....now I am more interested in cheese making than pizza.... :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Cheers Chicago Bob & Norma, and Norma if not for you I would not have made the cheese....now I am more interested in cheese making than pizza.... :-D

synaesthesia,

Glad to hear you are more interested in learning to make cheese.  ;)  So am I if I only can find the time.   :-D  At the Pizza Summit II over the weekend in Houston Chau made great mozzarella.  I guess I am going to have to make an attempt at making mozzarella like Chau did if I can find come curd.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
Hi Norma

Looks like you can buy curd off the shelf in the US, I guess I have to make my own here. But happy to give it a go.... just need citric acid. At the current cost of living in OZ, making your own cheese is a labour of love or curiosity or both.....it may not really make economic sense....a ball of quality mozzarella is about $5. The milk  to make the cheese would cost me $4 per L and at this point I am sure if the yield of curd is as high with my current technique....We shall see! ::)  Have lots of stracchino though and I'd use it on regular pizza. :drool:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
Hi Norma

Looks like you can buy curd off the shelf in the US, I guess I have to make my own here. But happy to give it a go.... just need citric acid. At the current cost of living in OZ, making your own cheese is a labour of love or curiosity or both.....it may not really make economic sense....a ball of quality mozzarella is about $5. The milk  to make the cheese would cost me $4 per L and at this point I am sure if the yield of curd is as high with my current technique....We shall see! ::)  Have lots of stracchino though and I'd use it on regular pizza. :drool:

Synaesthesia,

When Chau made mozzarella from curd he didn't use any citric acid.  Chau's mozzarella making methods are posted here on the forum, but I don't have the direct link right now. The way Chau used the curd to make mozzarella it had a pretty high yield.

I will have to make another attempt at making stracchino too when I find the time.  Great to hear you have lots of stracchino to use on regular pizza.   8)

I agree that making mozzarella is a combination of a labour of love, curiosity or both.  It is always fun to see if cheese can be made at home.

Norma

Offline synaesthesia

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »
Hi Norma

No he wouldn't ... the citric acid is to make curd from milk;  his technique starts from cutting pre made curd and heating it to stretch. I tried to find pre made curd, no one seems to sell it here so I'll have to start from scratch. Might be a couple of weeks before I try this, have to pack as we are moving in next week and then there's the unpacking. At least at the new house there are canopies and I can cook pizza outdoors under shelter in this rainy season.  :pizza:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:59 AM »
Hi Norma

No he wouldn't ... the citric acid is to make curd from milk;  his technique starts from cutting pre made curd and heating it to stretch. I tried to find pre made curd, no one seems to sell it here so I'll have to start from scratch. Might be a couple of weeks before I try this, have to pack as we are moving in next week and then there's the unpacking. At least at the new house there are canopies and I can cook pizza outdoors under shelter in this rainy season.  :pizza:

Hi synaesthesia,

Thanks for explaining more to me about curd.  You are right that Chau's technique starts from cutting pre made curd and heating to stretch.  I have no idea if there is any curd available in my area either, but will try to find some at some point in time. 

Good luck with your moving. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
I tried to purchased some of the stracchino/crescenza cheese when I was at the 9th St. Italian Market in Philly yesterday at Di Bruno Bros (they carry loads of Italian cheeses).  The photos of my visit are at Reply 80 and the next posts http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19792.msg273720.html#msg273720 The man behind the counter that waited on me at Di Bruno Bros told me that they sometimes carry the stracchino/crescenza cheese, but rarely do because it is more perishable than fresh mozzarella.  The man told me the stracchino/crescenza cheese only comes from Italy so until it gets to the US it can not be kept for too long.

Norma