Author Topic: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza  (Read 31454 times)

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
Dan,

Nice photos.  Good to see you are still in the game.  I made an RT clone this past weekend that came out great as always (no photos, though).

In your mention of the lack of oven spring, how much yeast did you use? 

I am wondering if the competition between your starter and the yeast might have had something to do with it.

Best regards,

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
I used 3g ADY which is just under 0.7% total formulation. I also made the regular recipe with the same yeast, so I know the yeast was good. I could tell in the fridge that the "experimental" dough was not getting puffy or fermenting well. I think perhaps the acidity of the sourdough starter killed or inhibited them. It didn't seem THAT sour, then again I used 200g in the formulation, which I think is a pretty high amount? Another aspect of the sourdough culture I made is I don't know how well the yeast fared in it. I meant I could have just been culturing lactobacillus. It would increase in volume after feeding, but no so much that it was 3 or 4 times the volume. It would just about double. Anyway, the Red Hook ESB is really something special. I can use it to replace the water 100%, add yeast directly to it, and it still grows fantastic.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »

DAN

your pies are looking SO good  :drool:

Wonder how Lydia is doing......she is a really nice gal.   :chef:

Hey ALL

I'm not dead "yet"...but man....the weather is kickin' my butt. I seriously wasn't prepared for ice storms in the south, let alone 3 day long tornado outbreaks!  :o  (BTW watching the radar during one of those is just like playing Atari Astroids but your joystick stopped workin' ...you just sit there and pray you don't get hit.  :-D ) In March and April I only had 2-3 no stress days a week while the weather flip-flopped between ice and tornados.

I'm starting to get the hang of it all though.  :-\

But other than that, I DO love it here. The people are great. It's a bit of a time warp for ingredients which is really cool. Red wax cheese, whole milk cultured buttermilk, pork jowel, real string beans, carnation "chocolate" malt, and "meat" OMG I can eat meat again.  ;D [size=78%]  [/size]

I never "EVER" want to eat nasty "california beef" ever again. Not by choice I was nearly vegetarian, now I'm scarfing down triple steak burgers. Its so liberating  :chef:

I miss CAL-mex and california style pizza and C&H sugar.

I'm trying..really trying to get back on the pizza boards. I miss it. I've got a lot or board reading to catch-up though.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »
Good to hear all is swell Lydia....pm me if you get desperate enough for me to send some C&H sugar your way.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »
Good to hear all is swell Lydia....pm me if you get desperate enough for me to send some C&H sugar your way.  :)

Thanks   ;D ...sent a PM
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »
About the deactivated yeast, I came across something that said "cultured flour" was used in "clean label" breads as a preservative, if the wholesale bakery did not want to use calcium propionate and thus have to declare it on the label.

For current Shakeys...I'm going to agree with the direction your going here. Deactivated yeast has the wrong flavor and aroma....BUT autoysed yeast extract, if its the correct type will give off a parmesan-romano  type flavor and aroma. (other types will give off beef or chicken like flavors) I have no clue on how to obtain it other than through prepackaged mixes like Knorr Bullion.

But for Vintage Shakeys.....There was a time that I had "that flavor" and "that aroma". It was when I had "aging/old"  High gluten malted bread flour stored at extremely high temps around 85- 90 F in a sunroom during summer. So alot like storing flour in a commercial kitchen.
:chef:

Everyone kept asking me HOW I got "that flavor". :-[

I really think that looking into aging and/or high temperature fermenting of malted barely flour (not sourdough culture) is the "real key". Something to do with manipulating the enzymes in the Barley Flour.

I also recall that the flour behaved differently too. It was crispier in a dry crunchy way and had more "tug" to the bite than it had before the abuse.

------------------------------

A local old-school mom n pop place is using a flour with calcium propionate, and baking on deck ovens. Boy o boy, their crusts are as close to vintage Shakeys as I've had in decades.

pizzapan