Author Topic: Shakeys pizza & some tips  (Read 73301 times)

Offline Lthrlady

Re: Shakeys pizza & some tips
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 10:03:44 AM »
THinking the 750degree oven would make a big diff. Thanks for this.

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »
I was in a pinch for time and tried this recipe today; the pizza went from flour to oven to plate in under an hour. The taste was good, my mouth was searching for flavors that only yeast can provide, but as an emergency unleavened recipe I was very pleased with the result.  Its the type of crust that provides great texture and crunch while allowing the toppings to stand out.  Thanks for posting the recipe!

I adjusted my ingredients to make a 12" pie with a thickness factor of .07.  With a hydration of 40.6% that meant 160g Better for Bread flour, 65g water, and a bit less than the original volumetric measurements for salt and shortening.

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
crumb shots

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
Hey there Johnamus

I was wondering if you sheeted or maybe folded the the dough or if the layers are from air pockets only.

From the look of it, other than that infernal gummy layer, you got something very close to the vintage StrawHat crust. Thats always good news, since these crust share similar characteristics.

Nice pics btw.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »
Thanks Lydia

I didn't fold the dough, and I don't have a sheeter.  But I did roll this thing out with nearly all my weight on the rolling pin :)  I didn't dock the dough and as a result the dough had a lot of rise in the oven, by this I mean the whole dough formed a giant bubble across the entire surface when I did my prebake.  I poked and deflated this enormous bubble with a fork prior to adding toppings and finishing the bake, but the bubble is responsible for the layering I experienced.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
Great thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. SOunds like it tried to turn into pita bread  :-D

YES these doughs need to rolled out by a lumberjack.
Either way I like what Im seeing so I hope you dont mind a few more questions.

What shortening did you use and what kind of salt. By chance do you have your actual volume measurement for these?

Other than the formula change and not using a cutter pan; Did you stray from Steves original directions?

Did you bake it on a pizza stone and what temp?

Thanks
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
I strayed from Steve's directions a bit; I baked the dough on a stone in the middle of my electric oven at 550° and used a prebake of about 2 minutes.  I didn't use a food processor for the dough-only enough hand-kneading to form a cohesive ball.  I let the doughball rest for a few minutes while I prepared the sauce, then flattened it out and let it rest for a few minutes on a peel while I sliced the cheese.  I eyeballed the shortening, (Crisco all vegetable) but it was very close to a tablespoon, and the salt was around .5 tsp. 

My objective was to make a cracker crust in under an hour rather than focus on making a Shakey's clone (I've never had the pleasure of eating at Shakey's).  But with that in mind I was very happy with the resulting texture.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »
great

Very helpful, I thought of one more thing. Did you use any flour to roll the dough?

Offline johnamus

• Pizza fan
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
Yes, I used a few pinches of the dough flour (Better For Bread) to keep the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
I tried this one tonight, it came out very well, flour to pizza in 30 minutes.  Salute!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2012, 06:17:51 PM »
I usually stick with NY style but I had no dough and the kids said they wanted pizza, so I figure I'd give this a try since it looked pretty quick and simple. Boy was I right! 30 minutes and we were eating. Awesome!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 07:24:34 AM »
Does the dough calculator work for this formula and method(Steve's)?
Dwight

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
Does the dough calculator work for this formula and method(Steve's)?

Dwight,

You can use the expanded dough calculating tool since it includes shortening among the possible ingredients.

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
BTW, I didn't have any shortening so I substituted margarine and it seemed to work fine. I also added a tiny bit more water too because it was so dry that I couldn't get it to stick together at all. That is with KABF.

I will definitely make this again. It's great because it's so quick.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
In general, shortening can be substituted on an equal-weight basis for oil in a dough recipe. Margarine, like butter, contains some water, and usually one might want to adjust the formula hydration to compensate for the water content of the margarine or butter. Even then, some tweaking of the hydration may be needed, just as Don mentioned.

Peter

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »
Dwight,

You can use the expanded dough calculating tool since it includes shortening among the possible ingredients.

Peter

Thank you.
Dwight

Offline toddster63

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »
Don, that pep pie looks DEELICIOUS! Great flakey layering! :chef:

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
Don, that pep pie looks DEELICIOUS! Great flakey layering! :chef:
Thanks Todd, it was DEELICIOUS! This was my first attempt at making a cracker-style crust and I was very happy with the result. I was surprised that with basically just flour and water such layering and flakiness could be achieved. I always thought that it would take lamination, which would be way more work than I'm willing to do.

NY-style is still my preference, but it doesn't get any easier than this for a quick last minute pizza.

Offline toddster63

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
Thanks Todd, it was DEELICIOUS! This was my first attempt at making a cracker-style crust and I was very happy with the result. I was surprised that with basically just flour and water such layering and flakiness could be achieved. I always thought that it would take lamination, which would be way more work than I'm willing to do.

NY-style is still my preference, but it doesn't get any easier than this for a quick last minute pizza.

Yeah, I love crackery, but like my 2 minute 700F Neo-NY too... I gotta try this yeast-less quick recipe. I've only ever made the Pizza Inn recipe and then laminated the skins with my KA pasta roller attachment; comes out great and FLAKEY and tasty, but still takes 24-48 hours of fermenting. This does seem SOO fast and SOO similar for within a half hour of time!

Offline Alligator

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
In general, shortening can be substituted on an equal-weight basis for oil in a dough recipe. Margarine, like butter, contains some water, and usually one might want to adjust the formula hydration to compensate for the water content of the margarine or butter. Even then, some tweaking of the hydration may be needed, just as Don mentioned.

Peter

How much of a flavor and performance difference would there be in this recipe changing shortening for oil?  Shortening is used a lot in baking to create a flaky crust.  Does oil have those same properties?

pizzapan