Author Topic: Shakeys pizza & some tips  (Read 72971 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Shakeys pizza & some tips
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »
The food industry is driving me mad.  >:(

Well, I used to use Nucoa for a "true margarine" But they "just" changed their product to Buttery Sticks (65% oil), so I guess I'm screwed on that one. It's still dairy free so it's a "no scorch product" so you can use it to saute or for oiling waffle grids or a griddle. Tastes nearly identical to Country Crock.

When Shedd's Spread re-branded as Country Crock, it was basically a clarified butter blended with partially hydrogenated oil and a touch of artificial butter flavoring. (Clarified butter is totally shelf stable and lasts nearly forever.) Everyone went nuts over Country Crock, then they reformulated. ::)

Man......I guess I'll have to formulate a margarine recipe now   :-\  arggg!!!

anyhow... My recommendation was just shot down, so I guess that just leaves the whipped butter I posted in the pancake thread. Just eliminate the water and don't whip a lot of air into it, just get it nice and smooth.

Sorry  :(
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
LARD
Straight , good old Armor or some 'ol down an dirty local Manteca style?   >:D

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/lard-the-new-health-food
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
The food industry is driving me mad.  >:(

Well, I used to use Nucoa for a "true margarine" But they "just" changed their product to Buttery Sticks (65% oil), so I guess I'm screwed on that one. It's still dairy free so it's a "no scorch product" so you can use it to saute or for oiling waffle grids or a griddle. Tastes nearly identical to Country Crock.

When Shedd's Spread re-branded as Country Crock, it was basically a clarified butter blended with partially hydrogenated oil and a touch of artificial butter flavoring. (Clarified butter is totally shelf stable and lasts nearly forever.) Everyone went nuts over Country Crock, then they reformulated. ::)

Man......I guess I'll have to formulate a margarine recipe now   :-\  arggg!!!

anyhow... My recommendation was just shot down, so I guess that just leaves the whipped butter I posted in the pancake thread. Just eliminate the water and don't whip a lot of air into it, just get it nice and smooth.

Sorry  :(

Maybe use butter flavored Crisco instead? You can add however much water you want to then.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
Maybe use butter flavored Crisco instead? You can add however much water you want to then.

Yah, I'm right with yah Colonel..I'm working on it in my head right now. It could work in a modified version of the whipped butter. As a spreadable margarine "Just water" wont work, it will still coat the tongue so bad it'll gag a person... been there done that. Just thinkin' out loud. (jepardy theme song playing in the backgound.)
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
The food industry is driving me mad.  >:(

Man......I guess I'll have to formulate a margarine recipe now   :-\  arggg!!!

Sorry  :(
Oh, I knew you would not sit still for this and be on to something...."Lydia, you are in the lead, please choose a category"
Colonels Crisco will need some salt water whipped in there, no?

edit: shortening tastes nasty though compared to lard, no? I think German folks keep a dish of lard on their countertops...gonna ask my GF when she comes home later...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:06:23 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
Colonels Crisco will need some salt water whipped in there, no?

• Oil would be number one in pecking order, preferably flavorless or use the clarified butter. Could prove helpful since it's pretty solid in nature around 75 F+
    Followed by shortening (I would go with a generic brand not Crisco, but am considering Butter Flavor Crisco)
    Definitely salt, I would use a fine grained salt (popcorn salt) because is disperses better without heat, preferably not iodized unless you want the dextrose and silicone. the dextrose might prove beneficial though. And  yes, it can be dissolved in the water, if used.
    Most 1960-70 margarine's had buttermilk, but I can't remember if it scorches since the solids are removed.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
Most 1960-70 margarine's had buttermilk, but I can't remember if it scorches since the solids are removed.

Oh yeah, it does, because modern day buttermilk is just cultured nonfat milk.  Doh!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »
So in California this means it also has Nonfat milk solids to meet Cali's protein content requirements.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2012, 10:00:37 PM »
shortening tastes nasty though compared to lard, no?

Some do...most of them have too high a ratio of brown to white fat and taste well...fatty.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »
Straight , good old Armor or some 'ol down an dirty local Manteca style?   >:D

Gotta be down an dirty for me, Manteca all the way. Have you tried it spread thin on a cinnamon roll? Tasty.

Hey Lydia, what about Imperial Margarine. I see that a lot in stores and they sell a "spreadable" version, but are the sticks the real deal?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:15:12 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
Gotta be down an dirty for me, Manteca all the way. Have you tried it spread thin on a cinnamon roll?....

Lard on a cinnamon roll?  You sir, are hard core.  I wanna party with you.  You, Peter, Craig, Tscarborough and I would be in jail within hours of meeting.  No doubt in my mind.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
Lard on a cinnamon roll?  You sir, are hard core.  I wanna party with you.  You, Peter, Craig, Tscarborough and I would be in jail within hours of meeting.  No doubt in my mind.
Hey now...don't forget about your 'ol pal Bob. I keep my lawyers cell number on speed dial.... :'(

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:54 AM »
Hey Lydia, what about Imperial Margarine. I see that a lot in stores and they sell a "spreadable" version, but are the sticks the real deal?

Unfortunately No. The sticks dropped all the way down to 53%. :o It went 70-68-65 before its currently sad 53%, so it irritates me that the box says it good for baking. As far as I can tell it's still "scorch-free" since it only has whey.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »
The food industry is driving Lydia mad....an I think it is stating to get Bob a 'lil crazy too.  :'(

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
FWIW, I noticed at the grocery store I shop at that their house brand labels "Always Save" and "Best Choice" both have 80% vegetable oil stick margarine.
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »
I picked up some "real" margarine. Generic store label. (I never thought I would see the day when I coined "real" with "margarine" but...oh well..it is what it is)

For those who are looking for it.
Calories will be 100% fat
transfat should be 2.5
The word "spread" should not be anywhere on the package.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
FWIW, I noticed at the grocery store I shop at that their house brand labels "Always Save" and "Best Choice" both have 80% vegetable oil stick margarine.

Thanks Amore

As long as its 80% it's fine for baking, I guess the important thing is that were all aware to read the label and "know" what were really buying.

BTW, welcome aboard!

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2013, 11:29:58 PM »
Tonight's Mickey Mouse attempt   :-D

Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2013, 11:59:09 PM »
Tonight's Mickey Mouse attempt   :-D
Niiice...a toppings extravaganza.   ^^^

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
OK, I'm trying the no yeast, no fuss, recipe Steve posted years ago.  Maybe tonight or later this week.  I have both Buf and WM fresh mozz and other good stuff to top it with.  I've always thought a dough as dry as this seemed to not a leavening agent.   Also, I have some local store high gluten flour that seems to give a good cracker, even better than KASL.  Maybe some malty beer for flavor?  Tom...are you out there? :D