Author Topic: Shakeys pizza & some tips  (Read 72930 times)

Offline grumper1

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Shakeys pizza & some tips
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »
Shakey's was run into the ground by it's former corporate owners. However, it has been bought by one of it's franchisees, has a new CEO, no debt, and plans to build 1000 stores in 10 years. I can't wait! :chef: :pizza:

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 06:58:02 AM »
You wanted hot dogs???

They have a online store! ;D

I love them also!!!

https://secure.imtco.com/viennastore/shoppingV2.php?menu_level_idnum=18026
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 07:11:38 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline REMOISE

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 04:13:20 PM »
Oh my GOSH i thought I was the only shakey's addict on earth. My mother lives in asia and has a shakeys pizza parlor beside her home I still order their thin crust cheese pizza with extra garlic and extra cheese.Still good as it was 30 years ago oops just gave away my age! Anyway I did the thin crust pizza last night and it came out delicious.I only did 24 hour fermenation and lessen the yeast but still kept the hydration the same.I put it at the lowest rack and my oven is gas and at the highest temp.Probably 600 and pulled it out after 4 mins. and placed the toppings just tomato sauce made with garlic,onions,oregano and whole peeled san marsano tomatoes thickened.mozzarella cheese low moisture one and returned it to the oven but this time
on the middle rack and baked for another 10 minutes.I also used a perforated pan which i sprinkled with semolina flour.It came out cracker thin and light anbd crisp.I am so glad I found this site now our family pizza nights with the kids are turning out great.The pictures were really helpful too.

Offline Johnney

• I Love Pizza Like I Love My Women, Spicy and Meaty
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 03:01:15 PM »
Here's the real thing, I missed Chicago Style Red Hots for a long time until I found this site, Now I have the real thing all the time, Thought Id let you all know. http://www.viennabeef.com/

I grew up on pizza & still love it @ almost 50. during my high school days (early 70s) we would hang out at our local Shakeys. I had 4 buddies who worked there 1 later became a assistant manager almost every night & we would get 1 of our buddies to make us a super custom pizza: double cheese & wall to wall toppings. The good old days! I asked  the 1 who was  mang. about the sauce & skins. He said Shakeys would send pre-mixed spice pacs to add with food service canned tomatoes the dough flour was pre-mixed too. I have been making pizzas ever since they closed Shakeys in the 80s. I live in the deep south we have 2 local pizza joints that have New York style pizza 1 has a wood burning oven. I have been reading you'alls forums & have a few tips, 1st flour measuring if you use a measuring cup do not pack or tap the cup you will add up to 1/3 more flour, this mistake will cause your dough to be hard to roll out, either sift or fluf up the flour with a fork. I also read some of you are looking for the brand of pepperoni that some famous pizza joints use, Sams club has food service brand of Hormel pepperoni that says on the 5lb pac " for high temperature ovens"  It dosen't burn at at less than 600deg. I don't know if this is the stuff your lookin for or not. I use it exclusively it just fine. I taught my 11 year old how to make pizzas, the other day she rolled out a skin so thin it was semi transparent (she likes thin crusts) Hey lets wheel & deal I want some Vienna beef hot dogs they don't sell em here. We have a local grocery store who sells King Athur high gluten bread flour in 5lb bags, If anyone is interested in swaping dogs for flour I have a UPS account & would send you a shipping cooler & a pre paid UPS shipping lable. You would have to bring it to a UPS store. we can match $ for $ a bag of flour is about $4.50 plus tax I will ship to you at my cost (having a UPS account means I get a big discount on shipping) post a reply with a link to your email if anyone is interested. Thanks & happy pizza!!! .........Bond-- James Bond
"Never drive faster that your guardian angel can fly!"

Offline porprock

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 03:29:41 AM »
I just ate at the Shakey's located in Maple Valley Washington a week ago and the restraunt didn't look anything like they used to, with the newspaper tables, dark wood walls etc, but we ordered a Shakey's Special, mojos and a picture of rootbeer, just like when I was a kid and it was great, just like I remembered from back in the early 80's at the Saugus, CA location. I'm gonna be 34 this May and have eaten a lot of pizza over the years and have yet to eat some as good as Shakey's.

There are only two locations left in Washington. Shakey's is like drive in movie theatres, they are becoming very rare. Shakey's in almost extinct is because they didn't diversify (delivering) when Pizza Hut, then Dominos began flooding the markets in the late 80's. I really do hope they make a comeback here in the states, but they better do it right if they plan on making it, it's a big task. I love Shakey's pizza!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 03:37:26 AM by porprock »

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »
Oh I do miss Shakeys, good times & good eats. I found a recipe for the Mojos. I coulda been here, I don't remember ???

Offline sangle

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 08:58:07 PM »
The original Shakey's Pizza.

The only one for me was the Public House Special. Some cheese, green peppers, pepperoni and the
crust was very thin and I haven't had one for 30 years and I can still smell how good it was and
how different it was.

Is there anyone here that knows how great this pizza was and has been to any current Shakeys that
still has the same pizza?

I am on a quest to find someplace that has this pizza and the makings and knowledge to be able to
still make them.

There was one listed in Montclair, California and the news article said people said it tasted like when
they were a kid.

Would love to know how and what to be able to make and eat this quality of pizza again.

I have never in the last thirty years had anything that even came close to the memory of a
Shakey's Public House Special pizza.

Thanks.

Offline sangle

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 09:02:10 PM »
Regarding the Shakey's pizza,

What about any sauce, cheese type and pepperoni?

Offline barryjyoung

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »
Hello Shakeys fans!

My second job was at a Shakeys in 1976 in Everett WA. I was a Pizza Chef there for two years. Later after a stint in the military I was the Assistant Manager at the very same Everett location and also the Lynnwood WA location. All of our dough was made with a bag of spices from Shakeys Corp. and a bag of flour. We never made dough from scratch. The dough was always rolled through the sheeter right away to make skins except for a pound or two that a couple of us would keep to toss skins manually for the throngs of kids that would gather at the window of the kitchen. We never used the hand tossed skins for customers pizza unless they asked for them.

The sauce was made with Tomato Sauce not paste and was mixed with another mysterious bag of goodies from Shakeys.

The cheese was probably the largest difference between Shakeys and other pizzarias. We took large blocks of Mozzarella and cut them into two pound chunks that would fit into the cheese grinder (Hobart brand of course, just like the dough mixer). We would load a block of Mozzarella, then a slice of Provalone, then a chunk of Romano and finally a handfull of Parmesan then started the grinder with a 1/8 inch orifice plate in the end. We just kept adding this alternating series of cheeses until the Mozzarella ran out. I have ground as much as nine bus tubs of cheese at a time.

I can back up the fellow who told you about the Shakeys on Petrovitsky in Renton WA. I got off the phone with them about half an hour ago, my girlfriend should be home with my thin crust Shakeys Special any minute now so I had better go get ready. Oh, there is another Shakeys in Black Diamond Washington and about 30 in the Phillipines too.

bye

Barry

Offline barryjyoung

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 11:41:09 PM »
See above for cheese types. In 1986 all the Shakeys I have access to changed to pure Mozzarella which was a serious mistake. The Shakeys of today is no where near as good as the pizza of the 70's. I think the cheese change is the reason. It is still the best pizza around, but not what it was.

We used Oberto Pepperoni sliced onsite from large sticks about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Our Salami was large sticks of Gallo brand hard dry wine slami. The Canadian Brand Bacon was a water added ham product that came in 2 inch diameter sticks sliced in the Hobart slicer. The ground beef was ground from chubs in the "skullery" (back room) and there was a bag of Shakeys beef mix added and mixed in before grinding. We did the same with sausage using Shakeys sausage mix.

Regarding the Shakey's pizza,

What about any sauce, cheese type and pepperoni?

Offline barryjyoung

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 11:48:40 PM »
And the MoJo's were rolled in the Shakeys chicken breading then cooked in the pressure cooker.

Barry

Oh I do miss Shakeys, good times & good eats. I found a recipe for the Mojos. I coulda been here, I don't remember ???

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 01:04:00 AM »
Barry, Can you tell us a little bit about the Shakey's sheeter technique. How many times did you run it through? Did you fold the dough between sheetings? How soon after sheeting could you use the skins?

thanks

Offline barryjyoung

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 02:57:25 AM »
elsugundo:

The sheeter was a standard small bakery sheeter. The dough was doubled five or six times until it felt right to the dough roller Jeff who is still my best friend to this day thirty years later. it was run through until it was about 3/32 inch thick for thin crust skins. The skins could be used immediately and had to be used the day that they were made. Several times we had to run a batch of skins on an unexpectedly busy night and used them immediately. Generally we made more Family size skins than we thought we would need because they could be cut down to any size except super saver. If we ran out of those, we could always roll two family size skins through the sheeter just to make one super saver skin. We hardly ever sold any of those. I made one in a Deli once, right after they were introduced, when they still had lots of ingredients. That pizza weighed over ten pounds.

Barry Young

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 01:04:50 AM »
I worked for and owned an Abby's Pizza franchise for many years...I believe this was another spinoff of Shakeys.  I had always understood that Shakey's mixed their dough and bulk fermented the dough overnight in the walkin, using the dough the next day to sheet their skins.  If Abby's skins were anything similar, the water/flour ratio was between 34 and 37 percent.  The dough was extremely stiff and very hard on the mixers..in fact we broke two or three shafts in the eight years I worked for them.  As for the skins, the sheeting method can produce fantastic skins but can be very inconsistent.  The more you fold and roll the dough, the more tough they become....We roll ours through twice (in my current restaurant).  We use the same hydration ratio, bulk ferment at room temperature...sheet the skins to weigh about 20 ounces for a sixteen inch skin, we then stack skins between sheets of wax paper, cool overnight and use the next day.  Unfortunately, with so little water in the dough you are at the mercy of your flour...we find some skins let heat pass right through, while others take a long time to cook the toppings...so one has to be constantly vigilant about the changes in flour from lot to lot, and try to adjust with water.  

John

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 12:48:57 AM »
If Shakey's Sacramento was the greatest pizza joint ever created, Abby's in Oregon was a close second especially Lincoln City and my favorite in Florence. I watched the dough man through the glass at the Florence location do the sheeting and knew I would spend the rest of my pizza lifetime duplicating the technique on a small Atlas.  I had seen wizard behind the curtain.

Low hydration and a double pass sheeting with correct folding.

When Abby gets it just right, the crust is crunchy chewy fantastic.

thank you guys for the info

from Sacramento

Offline cdoyle

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
sorry for bumping an old thread, but just wanted to say a couple weeks ago we went to the Shakey's in 4 Corners WA.

As a kid I remember going to Shakey's and just loved the place, and was so disappointed when all the ones around me closed down in the 80's.

When I heard there was still a couple left in our state, we made the drive up to 4Corners.  It sure wasn't worth it, the building itself was part of a strip mall, so it was nothing like how I remember the chain being as a kid.  Inside was so dirty, and so many flies flying around, and I'm not kidding there were bugs flying everywhere.

What I found odd was, if you had missed the sign on the top of the door as you walked in, you wouldn't even know it was a Shakey's you were in.  No signs anywhere inside saying 'shakey's or anything.  Even the take out boxes were blank, just white cardboard.  I thought that was really odd.

The pizza was awful and nothing like I remember, I remember the sauce having a 'spice' almost to it, and being really good and unique.   The pizza we had here, was almost grocery store pizza.  Sauce was very bland and almost pure tomato taste to it.

I was really sadden by just how bad it was, the bright point was that the mojo potatoes were good.  So at least the drive up there wasn't a total lost.

Does anyone know if the other Shake's in Maple Valley WA is any better?

Offline tulsaboyw

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
Shakeys was the best pizza I've ever had.  I remember when the Hunt brothers bought the chain and proceeded to take it to ground.   I'm looking for someone who remembers the exact ingrediants so the pizza can be re-birthed.     There was another chain that copied Shakeys, it was called Shotgun Sams and it was virtually the same product.    If you have this info. I wopuld be interested to communicate with you.     Sincerely,    Jim Thykeson

You have it backwards... Shotgun sams was before SHakeys and for a bit was more successfull.

I worked there for 10 years total back then, and the sauce & toppings were plain and not uniquely different from anywhere else... What was unique was the pizza skin and cooking style, never using any product that was greasy (other than sauce)  in the usual sense...

As far as shakeys, maybe so, but some of the shakeys were in fact transformed by that particular franchisee into one of the best pizza chains in this Region.

II kn

Offline tulsaboyw

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »
;)Shakey's -Pizza is ALIVE and WEll.   Shakey was in world war II where he developed Malaria which gave him the Shakes.....thus the Name Shakey's.....he just move to the Philippines in the early 1980's and is the biggest pizza chain there now.....I Just ate a Shakey's pizza there about 6 months ago...exactly the same as in the '70's but really the sauce is more Grease than sauce....JUST LIKE MAZZIO's.....you know the industry practice is to brush on Bacon Grease ....ON TOP ....to melt the cheese faster.....YUCK>..makes me eat more frozen pizza.....Cholesterol City...
    Shotgun Sams had real sauce.....and corn meal on the bottom...how ever the business was left the the son and daugther in the late '70's and the remodled and remodeled and run the business in to the ground.

Most of what you say is wrong... I worked at Shotguns 10 years...mazzios is not greasy, and is very similar in quality to mazzios.
 It was never left to the son/daughter, as Tom&Gay WInslow did not leave the biz to the kids, as they eventually sold it  after The Ramond King Sisters raised the rent on the land.

Doug Jones/raymond king were the original owners, and Doug sold a minority chunk to Tom&Gay Winslow who eventulaly became the major owners when Doug sold what was left.
Raymong King left his share to his daughters.

Tom&Gay who were the primary owners toward the end, never left the biz to anybody, and it wasnt till Gay Winslow died that Tom went back to Realestate in his last years.

Shotgun Sams was doing well, well into the mid to late 80's. 
By then though Mazzios/Crystals for a bit, and others were as good as Shotgun sams and it was hurting.
Plus Shotguns tried to 'get fancy' which is what hurt the biz most.

They tried to go 'italian deli' at 21st street location..  instead of doing same on 51st location (fancy part of town)...  That is what brought them down...  not ownership or pizza quality.

It was remodeled a total of 2 times only before it left pizza offerigns for a italian type fancy layout.

Both of the two remodels did not impact the biz negatively and in fact doubled it for years.

It surprises me how people get the facts wrong, but then I actually was there throught there early bigger successes and most of their later successs and failures.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:00:54 PM by tulsaboyw »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 11:34:47 PM »
Another piece of the puzzle (possibly): a 750 degree oven.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Lthrlady

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
 :chef:
Greetings ya'll  ;D I just had to post about the raves I'm getting on my pizza now, THANKS to this forum. I found it purely by accident. Hubs & I have a standing pizza Date on Thursdays when Survivor season is on. I'd usually just buy an expensive frozen one. I've made pizza before but it was always different each time so my search began for a great pizza recipe. That's when I found ya'll. I loved everything about Shakey's and was heart broken when they closed the one here in town. It was hands down my fave place to go for Schlitz Dark beer, pizza, & mojo taters! I attached a pic of my final product. It's a bit out of round, but I fixed that by using a cake cardboard to cut the shape, a few dabs of water on 1/2 inch of the edge, fold over & seal slightly. Voila! Now. not only do I make great pizza, but mojo taters too. I have people begging for the recipe. I love this pizza warmed up as left overs (or cold) I usually make a double recipe so we can have it 2 or 3 days (depending on how hungry we are). Anyhow, I just had to post a pic & say a huge THANKS soo much. I can't even force myself to buy frozen or commercial pizza now. LOL