Author Topic: How do you get a pizza to HOLD?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
How do you get a pizza to HOLD?
« on: April 24, 2005, 02:08:23 PM »
When you take a slice of pizza...i always want slice to hold straight....i dont like it when the pizza folds over...i currently weight my pizza balls at 180 grams but recently increased it to 185 to improve its hold..you see the problem i face is that I have to make the thinnest crust possible!!! i might increase the dough ball weight to 190..but thats as far as im going to go.....and these are for 12 inch pizzas

any suggestions?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How do you get a pizza to HOLD?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »
DCPM,

If my math is correct, for the three dough ball weights you mentioned, the crusts would be very, very thin--about half the thickness of a typical NY style crust. So, to have the dough not fold or bend, I would think that you might use a strong flour, like a high-gluten flour, use few and lightweight toppings, and a bigger than normal rim, which will move more of the weight of the crust to the rim while keeping the rest of the crust super thin. You might also be able to use a slightly lower hydration, although I don't know how that might otherwise affect the finished crust in terms of quality, texture, etc.

Peter

Offline D.C. Pizza Master

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 06:46:28 PM »
DCPM,

If my math is correct, for the three dough ball weights you mentioned, the crusts would be very, very thin--about half the thickness of a typical NY style crust. So, to have the dough not fold or bend, I would think that you might use a strong flour, like a high-gluten flour, use few and lightweight toppings, and a bigger than normal rim, which will move more of the weight of the crust to the rim while keeping the rest of the crust super thin. You might also be able to use a slightly lower hydration, although I don't know how that might otherwise affect the finished crust in terms of quality, texture, etc.

Peter

yes..they are very thin...i was thinking about using a high gluten flour to give it some extra support....and i would love to use lightweight toppings...problem is that customers flip out and complain when not enough toppings are used...i think im going to increase the dough ball weight to 190 and add some high gluten flour..probably sir lancelot

Offline pizzamagic

• I Hate Bad Pizza!
    • ScottBergerPhotography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 10:53:23 AM »
I hate pizza that droops or folds over. I have been experimenting and I have found the following gives a pizza that holds up. You can grab the crust and it stands out straight:
1. Thicknesss factor of 0.13 (25 0z of All Purpose KA flour)
2. 60% Hydration
3. 1% IDY for a quick pie or ADY for 1-3 day delay.
4. A well formed dough ball. I now use the DLX 2000.
4. Pre Heat pizza stone/oven at 500 degrees for at least one hour.
5. Strain any watery liquid from the sauce and don't overdo the sauce.  This seems to be very important.
I plan on trying 55% hydration next weekend.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:03:48 AM by pizzamagic »
Best Regards,
Scott

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 05:50:12 PM »
pizzamagic,
Good looking pie. Thanks for sharing.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com