Author Topic: Star Tavern Pizzeria Orange, NJ  (Read 613 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Star Tavern Pizzeria Orange, NJ
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:46:50 PM »
I got to visit Star Tavern Pizzeria in Orange, NJ today and their pizzas have been added to the list of the best pizzas I have ever tried.  I would say this was one of the tastiest pizzas I have ever eaten.  There is wonder why Eater National Pizza rated Star Tavern Pizzeria in the top 38 pizzerias in America in March.   http://eater.com/archives/2014/03/17/the-38-essential-pizzerias-across-america-march-2014.php   

I had been talking to Walter about Star's pizzas and he gave me Gary's phone number to call in case I ever got to visit Star.  My daughter had said she would take me to Star a little while ago, but then it snowed and other things go in the way so this week my daughter said she would take me to the Star Tavern Pizzeria on Saturday.  I got up the nerve to call Gary, but was kind of hesitating because most owners of pizzerias are not too welcoming to people that want to talk about their pizzas.  I told Gary I was a home pizza maker and also I also have the small market stand at Root's Market where I sell pizzas.  I told Gary I liked to taste different pizzas and also try to make them at home and in my market oven just for the fun of doing that.  Gary said he would gladly to talk with me and asked me when we planned on coming to Star Tavern Pizzeria.  I told Gary on Saturday.  Gary said he would be away on Saturday but would be willing to show me around Star and talk to me today, tomorrow, Tuesday or Wednesday.  I could not have asked for more of a polite man to bull%$# about pizza with.  Gary gave me the full tour of Star Tavern Pizzeria and we talked about pizza for about an hour, or maybe longer.  I can't say enough kind words about Gary.  Gary told me the history of Star Tavern Pizzeria.

To get to down to talking about Star Tavern's pizza.  My daughter and I ordered the pepperoni pizza and I ordered a Moon draft and my daughter ordered water.  The waitress we had at Star was very nice.  I watched while our pizza and other customers pizzas were being made from the booth we sat in.  The employees at Star are very efficient and hard workers.  Gary later told me that many of his employes have been working at Star for many years.   

The finished pepperoni pizza was very delicious from beginning to end.  The slightly charred spots tasted like heaven and the cheese and sauce combination made a great tasting pizza.  The non charred place on the bottom crust and rim edge crust were delicious too.  The pepperoni was perfectly cupped and added a delicious taste to the pizza.  The thin bar style pizza of Star is something I never really experienced before in a pizzeria.

Gary told me a funny story about the draft beer and the bartender also told me about the same story.  In the one photo it can be seen how the draft beer comes down from heaven now.  It used to come from exactly the opposite place before.  Gary told me different interesting stories about Star Tavern Pizzeria which I enjoyed very much.

When we left Star we stopped at Shop Rite to get some tomatoes, sauce and also some mozzarella for me to try on other pizzas.  I wish we would have more time to spend around Orange, NJ, but we had to get home to let our older dogs out.  Walter gave me loads of links of other places to eat at and told me of a lot of places in that area we could have visited.  Maybe someday I will get back to Star Tavern Pizzeria to be able to enjoy their pizzas again and also visit other places in the area.  It took us about 2 hrs. to get to Star Tavern Pizzeria and about the same amount of time to get back by car.

I would highly recommend Star Tavern pizzas to anyone!  :drool: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Star Tavern Pizzeria Orange, NJ
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:36:08 AM »
Norma:  I am glad to hear you made there and it was a worthwhile trip.   I wish I could have been there especially after seeing the photos!   Star is a historic pizzeria in Essex County and IMO a must stop for all pizza lovers passing throught the NYC area.  Gary sure treated you 2 good :)  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »
Norma:  I am glad to hear you made there and it was a worthwhile trip.   I wish I could have been there especially after seeing the photos!   Star is a historic pizzeria in Essex County and IMO a must stop for all pizza lovers passing throught the NYC area.  Gary sure treated you 2 good :)  Walter

Walter,

I am so glad we made it too Star too.  I wish you could have been there with us.  I agree that Star Tavern Pizzeria is an historic pizzeria and must stop for all pizza lovers passing though that area.  Gary told us Star opened in 1945.  I also agree that Gary treated us very well. 

Thanks so much for your help in making the trip happen.  :D

Norma

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:57:09 AM »
So far in my life, pizza people and pizza owners are the nicest folks I have ever met!  It is good to see that your experience continues the pattern! 

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »
That pizza looked wonderful. Some places can create pizza "magic" that cannot be easily duplicated.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
So far in my life, pizza people and pizza owners are the nicest folks I have ever met!  It is good to see that your experience continues the pattern!

I agree Dave!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
That pizza looked wonderful. Some places can create pizza "magic" that cannot be easily duplicated.

Jonas,

The pizza was wonderful.  Star Tavern sure knows how to create that pizza "magic".

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »
I have eaten there more times than I can remember.  Living so close to it made that easy and I would have eaten there a lot more too as a kid if I had the $ to regularly buy a pie!  Growing up in Essex County was a pizza dream and Star is top of the list IMO.  My family still frequents Star.  When they tell me about it and when I read Norma's report I get hungry for one of their pies.  I have done some clones but I prefer to wait till I get the real deal.  Besides my pie, Star is my favorite :)   Walter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
@Norma, were the pies cooked on pans or just on the deck floor? Nice score on the Sclafani tomatoes, enjoy. I could be wrong but I don't think the Sorrento/Galbani cheese sold in 1# bricks in the grocery store is of the same quality as the 5# blocks sold through food distributors. I've used both and the food service cheese always has a slightly firmer consistency than the store bought.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
@Norma, were the pies cooked on pans or just on the deck floor? Nice score on the Sclafani tomatoes, enjoy. I could be wrong but I don't think the Sorrento/Galbani cheese sold in 1# bricks in the grocery store is of the same quality as the 5# blocks sold through food distributors. I've used both and the food service cheese always has a slightly firmer consistency than the store bought.

The pies are first put on oiled pans and in ovens for a bit then slid off direct to the deck and finished.  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
I could be wrong but I don't think the Sorrento/Galbani cheese sold in 1# bricks in the grocery store is of the same quality as the 5# blocks sold through food distributors. I've used both and the food service cheese always has a slightly firmer consistency than the store bought.

Dave,

Thanks for telling me you don't think the Sorrento/Galbani cheese sold in those 1 lb. bricks in the grocery store are the same quality as the 5 lb. loafs.  I can not purchase either in my area.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »
Dave,

Thanks for telling me you don't think the Sorrento/Galbani cheese sold in those 1 lb. bricks in the grocery store are the same quality as the 5 lb. loafs.  I can not purchase either in my area.

Norma

I'm surprised it's not available near you, Shop-Rite stores around me often sell this stuff on sale for $1.99 a lb. They also name products under the "Precious" and "President" name plate, perhaps you can find one of those.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm surprised it's not available near you, Shop-Rite stores around me often sell this stuff on sale for $1.99 a lb. They also name products under the "Precious" and "President" name plate, perhaps you can find one of those.

Dave,

There aren't any Shop-Rite supermarkets in my area.  I never saw any mozzarella cheeses listed under Precious or President either.

Norma

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
Norma,

Your pictures in this thread are great. I can see now that I was putting too much cheese and not enough sauce on my attempts. I would guess the hydration to be around 52-54% from your crumb shots. It also looks like a high oil content compared to standard NY dough.

Offline Zing

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »
For anyone wondering why there are two brand names on the Galbani/Sorrento mozzarella cheese  package, here are Lactalis Retail's explanations. For the east coast:
http://www.sorrentocheese.com/about/
For the west coast:
http://www.preciouscheese.com/about/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:56:47 PM by Zing »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 09:02:31 PM »
Norma,

Your pictures in this thread are great. I can see now that I was putting too much cheese and not enough sauce on my attempts. I would guess the hydration to be around 52-54% from your crumb shots. It also looks like a high oil content compared to standard NY dough.

Thanks Dave!  It was nice to be able to talk to Gary since he operates such a high volume pizzeria.  I was very nervous at first to talk to him, but Gary put me at ease very quickly.  I don't know what hydration Gary' dough is for his bar style pizzas.  I tried a few attempts at a Star Pizza on Walter's thread.  I will be trying some more attempts when I find time.

Norma