Author Topic: "Bowl residue" explination,I did search, but cant find, sorry to ask  (Read 1343 times)

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me

Sorry, This site is usually very good with a simple search. I am sure it has been covered, but I cant find it..

Can some on get me an Explanation on what the "bowl residue %" is.

Thanks,

Sino

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: "Bowl residue" explination,I did search, but cant find, sorry to ask
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
its an amount of dough that sticks to the bowl partially un-mixed.  i ignore this factor as i think its irrelephant to the home doughmaker
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »

Sorry, This site is usually very good with a simple search. I am sure it has been covered, but I cant find it..

Can some on get me an Explanation on what the "bowl residue %" is.

Sino,

The idea of using a bowl residue compensation came from Jeff Varasano, now the owner of the eponymous Varasano's in Atlanta. He used the bowl residue compensation when he made his pizzas at home, before he opened his pizza place. I wonder whether he still uses that feature today.

I incorporated the bowl residue compensation feature into the various dough calculating tools. One place where the feature is described is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025.msg42542.html#msg42542. I use different values of the bowl residue compensation based mostly on the type of machine used to make a particular dough and also the nature of the dough or preferment I am making. For example, for my basic KitchenAid stand mixer, I use a BRC value of 1.5%; for a food processor, I use 1%; for a bread maker, I use less than 1%; for a very highly hydrated dough or for a wet preferment such as a poolish, I might use around 3.5%; and so on. I am not aware of any pizza operator who uses the BRC with the possible exception of Norma.

Peter

Offline SinoChef

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »

Pete. Compl3X,

Thanks for the info, and digging that up.

I get it, but it seems maybe specious?

If you have all your %'s where you want them. The bowl residue is going to be what it will be?

I am using a spiral mixer, and playing around with 85%+ hydration. Its a big sloppy mess. It would seem an easy 3.5%.

I guess I am looking for the advantage of knowing what the expected BRC is.

I am not aware of any pizza operator who uses the BRC with the possible exception of Norma.

So I won't lose any more sleep on it then..... ;D

But thanks,

Sino

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
Sino,

When we were designing the dough calculating tools and anticipating the programming requirements, we considered whether we should put in the bowl residue compensation (BRC) feature. Since we were most likely only going to have one chance to include the BRC feature, and since we knew that there were many Varasano fans who were using that feature and were likely to use one or more of the dough calculating tools, we decided to program in the BRC feature. In practice, without a BRC, the final dough weight will usually differ from the calculated weight. In almost all cases, the finished dough weight will be less than the target calculated dough weight. With the BRC, I usually end up with a finished dough weight that is a bit more than the calculated dough weight. I just trim the dough weight back to the calculated dough weight on my scale. Remember, also, that the calculated weights are based on the conversion factors built into the dough calculating tools. In practice, the actual weights of ingredients used by users can be more or less than the values programmed into the tools. The BRC feature is not obligatory. Users can use it or not as they wish.

Peter

Offline SinoChef

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:08:42 AM »

Peter,

Ahhhhh, ok....

Sorry, I am a little thick. ::)

With that explanation. Now it makes perfect sense. The reason for it. Not specious at all. In large batches this would really come in to play.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Sino.