Author Topic: Queens NY, IMHO, the best pizza in all the boroughs, better than Brooklyn  (Read 934 times)

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
I searched the forum and now recall the name of the pizzeria was Pizza Palace.  I posted about it at Reply 142 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=8341.msg76421#msg76421 

Did you ever eat pizzas at Pizza Palace?

Norma

I just posted a reply, but I think I accidentally deleted it via edit.   I'm sure your pizza standards are much higher now than in 2009.  Basically wrote Pizza Palace is a tourist trap, so would avoid. It's right on a major intersection in Astoria off a major train line.  Astoria has been going through gentrification lately, lots of out of state young people moving in, and you can feel some hipster dilution coming in.  Young people can't afford Brooklyn anymore, NYC rent prices are crazy.  Now people moving to Astoria and Sunnyside Queens, Harlem and South Bronx, believe it or not. 

Make sure to try Lucia on Roosevelt Ave, it's the last Italian business left in the Chinatown section of Flushing Queens.  A real hole in the wall, and the owner refuses to move.  I believe it's the best slice in all of NYC.
Stop by Amore Pizzeria in downtown Flushing, and then get a grandma square slice at Louie's in Elmhurst.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:20:58 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Lillian Pizzeria, Forest Hills, Queens

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Alfies Pizza, Richmond Hil Queens
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:56:13 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Sunnyside Pizza, Sunnyside Queens.  Sesame seed crust.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 02:04:45 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
I love this thread.   I thought the pizza of my youth was gone,  but it seems it still exists in Queens.  My parents were both born and raised in Queens (except for when my father's parents moved to Washington to operate an apple orchard for a while before the war).

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Lillian Pizzeria, Forest Hills, Queens

Really enjoying this thread. When I moved to NY I lived across the street from Lillian. That's where they'd give me a side of sauce in the flimsy Italian Ice paper cup.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:31:52 PM by hammettjr »

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
My mom's side of the family is from Corona and most recently Flushing. Now I can't wait to go back on a road trip for a cherry ice at the Lemon Ice King, an espresso at Mama's café and a pie from Amore. Maybe I'll sit and watch some bocce in the park across the street ("Spaghetti park" as it was referred to me as a kid) for old times sake while I eat my ice. Loved walking a few blocks to watch the fireworks at Shea too. Great memories..

I love visiting Queens, Mets games, the US Open, Flushing Meadows and the fountains in the summer, our family went to church in Astoria in the 70's and 80's.. lots of good memories.  There is also a nice integration of the various ethnic groups that makes Queens the true "melting pot borough" of NYC.  IMHO, the best food in NYC too for a myriad of cuisines.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:21:40 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I'm sure your pizza standards are much higher now than in 2009.  Basically wrote Pizza Palace is a tourist trap, so would avoid. It's right on a major intersection in Astoria off a major train line.  Astoria has been going through gentrification lately, lots of out of state young people moving in, and you can feel some hipster dilution coming in.  Young people can't afford Brooklyn anymore, NYC rent prices are crazy.  Now people moving to Astoria and Sunnyside Queens, Harlem and South Bronx, believe it or not. 

Make sure to try Lucia on Roosevelt Ave, it's the last Italian business left in the Chinatown section of Flushing Queens.  A real hole in the wall, and the owner refuses to move.  I believe it's the best slice in all of NYC.
Stop by Amore Pizzeria in downtown Flushing, and then get a grandma square slice at Louie's in Elmhurst.

HarryHaller73,

I know my pizza standards are higher now than when I went to Pizza Palace.  After you learn how to make pizzas, and taste different pizzas your taste buds know what you like. The friends my daughter lived with in Astoria lived there from the time they were born.  I know young people can't afford Brooklyn anyone.  I went on The slice of Brooklyn bus tour last summer with Tony Muia and he showed and told us about that.

I think I am about done trying different pizzerias in NYC.  My youngest daughter lives on Staten Island so I don't think I will get to Queens again.

Norma

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
HarryHaller73,

I know my pizza standards are higher now than when I went to Pizza Palace.  After you learn how to make pizzas, and taste different pizzas your taste buds know what you like. The friends my daughter lived with in Astoria lived there from the time they were born.  I know young people can't afford Brooklyn anyone.  I went on The slice of Brooklyn bus tour last summer with Tony Muia and he showed and told us about that.

I think I am about done trying different pizzerias in NYC.  My youngest daughter lives on Staten Island so I don't think I will get to Queens again.

Norma

that's a shame.  do you think you tried too many trendy commercialized pies in nyc of the past 10 years.  it seems you are uninspired to trek over, but your experiences with places like pizza palace, williamsburg pizza and best pizza would probably explain that.  they are mediocre.   the reason i brought up this thread was to capture roots of ny pizza in neighborhoods which have not been influenced yet via the media and gentrificiation.   staten island pizza comes down to a debate over 2 pizzerias.  denino's or joe & pats. both are very good but different.  they share similarities to nj tavern style preparations.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:59:46 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
that's a shame.  do you think you tried too many trendy commercialized pies in nyc of the past 10 years.  it seems you are uninspired to trek over, but your experiences with places like pizza palace, williamsburg pizza and best pizza would probably explain that.  they are mediocre.   the reason i brought up this thread was to capture roots of ny pizza in neighborhoods which have not been influenced yet via the media and gentrificiation.   staten island pizza comes down to a debate over 2 pizzerias.  denino's or joe & pats. both are very good but different.

HarryHaller73,

I don't think I tried too many trendy commercialized pies in the last 10 yrs.  I learned a lot along the way, and know about what I like and what I don't like in my own pizzas, friends that make pizzas, and also pizzas from pizzerias.

Your thread is very informative and I enjoy reading it. 

Norma

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
HarryHaller73,

I don't think I tried too many trendy commercialized pies in the last 10 yrs.  I learned a lot along the way, and know about what I like and what I don't like in my own pizzas, friends that make pizzas, and also pizzas from pizzerias.

Your thread is very informative and I enjoy reading it. 

Norma

i often wonder about the lost flavors in the coming generations.  many pizza operators had children who just refused to take over the family business and they closed.  that void has been filled by new entrepreneurs who mostly don't have a history in pizzamaking and redefining it.  i often think this is the problem with the dilution of the new york slice.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
i often wonder about the lost flavors in the coming generations.  many pizza operators had children who just refused to take over the family business and they closed.  that void has been filled by new entrepreneurs who mostly don't have a history in pizzamaking and redefining it.  i often think this is the problem with the dilution of the new york slice.

HarryHaller73,

I also wonder about the same thing for the coming generations.  As long as this forum exists there will be many great NY style pizzas made by members and hopefully for the next generations.  There are a lot of talented pizza makers on the forum.

Do you also make pizzas, besides eating different ones?

Norma

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
HarryHaller73,

I also wonder about the same thing for the coming generations.  As long as this forum exists there will be many great NY style pizzas made by members and hopefully for the next generations.  There are a lot of talented pizza makers on the forum.

Do you also make pizzas, besides eating different ones?

Norma

i am a chef.  but my heart is with pizza.  i bake pizzas yes.  i also try as many pizzerias as possible.  my favorite pizzerias make divine eggplant or meatball heroes better than media rated restaurants.  there is a HUGE disconnect these days imho.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:28:58 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
i am a chef.  but my heart is with pizza.  i bake pizzas yes.  i also try as many pizzerias as possible.  my favorite pizzerias make divine eggplant or meatball heroes better than media rated restaurants.  there is a HUGE disconnect these days imho.

HarryHaller73,

Thanks for telling me you are a chef but your heart is with pizza.  Glad to hear you do bake pizzas.  :) Interesting that you try as many pizzerias as possible. I used to do that too, plus try all kinds of pizzas at home and at market.  I still am experimenting but not as much as before.  I know there is a media disconnect about some really good food places.  I don't know how that can be corrected. 

Norma

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
HarryHaller73,

Thanks for telling me you are a chef but your heart is with pizza.  Glad to hear you do bake pizzas.  :) Interesting that you try as many pizzerias as possible. I used to do that too, plus try all kinds of pizzas at home and at market.  I still am experimenting but not as much as before.  I know there is a media disconnect about some really good food places.  I don't know how that can be corrected. 

Norma

Well, on some level, I am happy that my favorite pizzerias and family Italian restaurants are not blitzed in the food media, I surely do not want to wait an hour to get a slice at those places.  My only concern is that this past generation, the youngsters do not want to take over the family business, and once the lease ends, the rent skyrockets, and they close.  I have seen it too many times, it is sad.  Luckily, places in Queens have not gone through the same gentrification as lower Manhattan and NW Brooklyn..... as of YET...   I worry that it will one day, and once they close, that food will be gone forever and replaced by corporate generic flavors or cheapened workflows.   I am sure there are talented folks on this forum (like yourself), but for every 1 person here, there's 4 others operating a dollar slice pizzeria as a quick low quality cash play in NYC.  I live in Manhattan, I think it's really pathetic that I need to take a subway ride to go to a good slice joint.  Believe me there is alot of awful pizzerias in NYC these days especially in Manhattan.

Mimi's pizza just closed in the upper east side.

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2016/06/mimis-pizza.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 11:56:59 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
The great old places are doomed if they don't own the building.

Online HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
The great old places are doomed if they don't own the building.

yes.  landlords have been pricing out landmark bars and restaurants that have been there for decades, so that some hipster can open up a bathroom tiled, faux vintage, home brewed sudsy eatery that charges $18 for a plate of finger tacos, $22 grass fed beef sliders on a pretzel bun, and $10 cheddar curds that will close down anyway in a few years.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:24:27 PM by HarryHaller73 »

wordpress