Author Topic: we got an incredible review today  (Read 530 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
we got an incredible review today
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:05:50 AM »
we got an incredible review tonight on Yelp from a serious pizza lover.   I am very proud to touch such a soul with our pies.  Here it is: 

8/17/2016

Raised in Brooklyn, my go to joint was DiFara in Midwood, where the master Dom De Marco practiced his craft. It was a pilgrimage at the time, even if you lived in Brooklyn, because it sometimes involved a long wait. Once, I picked up 3 pies and put them in a pizza bag with dry ice to bring back to the West Coast.

I have reverse engineered DiFara in search of good pizza, going as far as building my own oven to make my own pies. (For the unfamiliar, our home ovens don't get hot enough (700-800F) to properly cook NY pizza.

Sure, we have Grimaldi's, Campo, South Creek, and other locations that offer decent representations of pizza styles. But Walter's joint brought me straight home.

We have Grimaldi's, which is revered in NY. But the Reno/Sparks location doesn't do it justice. Smiling with Hope has the right equipment and the know-how of how to make great dough. If you thought making good pizza was a simple task... look online. The dough is the key to the operation. You've got to consider the mixtures of flour, the gluten content, the temperature it rises at, the humidity, the air pressure, the time it's left to rise and the temperature at which it's cooked to name a few. Walter has a gas oven that goes to 800F, just like DiFara, and seems to know the real secrets to great dough and great pizza.

Smiling with Hope Pizza is an incredible place, for two reasons:

1. They employ persons with disabilities

2. They make the best New York pizza outside of New York and New Jersey! They make better NY pizza than 90% of joints in both states combined.

After being in Reno for 3 years, I've finally found a place that brings me back home with exceptionally good pizza.

Walter (chef) and Judy are great. Friendly and easy to strike a conversation with. They'll remember your face and connect with you on a personal level. Walter is from NJ, and trust me, NJ pizza has surpassed NY for NY style pizza, with few exceptions for specialty places. For example, DiFara doesn't serve NY pizza. L&B doesn't either. Nor does Totonno's or many others. They are great in their own regard. But this is the place for NY pizza to for a multitude of reasons. If you're looking for really good pizza, it'll do. Trust me, it will do.

Try the classic pie with homemade Italian sausage. Or the white pie (no tomato sauce) with crushed garlic. You will not be disappointed.

SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • Photos
Re: we got an incredible review today
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
A great testament to to what you are doing there Walter!
Hans

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:04 AM »
A great testament to to what you are doing there Walter!

Sooo well deserved Walter!
Bob

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »
Thanks guys :)  It amazes me how much support we continue to get for our cause and our pizza.  Walter

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:19 PM »
So good to read that review.  I sure hope I have a reason to go up to Reno sometime soon.   

You don't keep your ovens at 800F do you?  I have always understood you baked around 575 to 600.

Best regards,

TinRoof

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »
So good to read that review.  I sure hope I have a reason to go up to Reno sometime soon.   

You don't keep your ovens at 800F do you?  I have always understood you baked around 575 to 600.

Best regards,

TinRoof

Trade secret :)   We will look forward to your visit.  Take care.  Walter

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:24:18 PM »
Trade secret :) 

Your bake temp is a trade secret?  Goodness.  Could you spill it those of us that contributed many, many dollars to your start up costs?!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:44:57 PM by parallei »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
Your bake temp is a trade secret?  Goodness.  Could you spill it those of us that contributed many, many dollars to your start up costs?!

I will be glad to feed you on the house but to be honest several people in the business including a well know pizzeria have tried to get my recipes and info for nothing so as to make profit off it.  I know most people here have no intention of doing that but the net is a wide open forum to the entire world.  I love to give it all away but my wife and lawyer have told me to not do so.  I am sorry.  I say bake the pizza you love and it is and always will be the best in the world. That is all I try to do each day and luckily people like it too. Walter
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:30:08 PM by waltertore »

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »
I will be glad to feed you on the house but to be honest several people in the business including a well know pizzeria have tried to get my recipes and info for nothing so as to make profit off it.  I know most people here have no intention of doing that but the net is a wide open forum to the entire world.  I love to give it all away but my wife and lawyer have told me to not do so.  I am sorry.  I say bake the pizza you love and it is and always will be the best in the world. That is all I try to do each day and luckily people like it too. Walter

I have no desire to be fed on your house.  Many people here already helped to pay for your house.   The way I see it, you've already profited from me and others.  Are you a not for profit business?  Many professional pizza makers have discussed, in some detail, their methods on the forum.  Unlike you, I don't think any of them have asked, here, for free money to start their business. Someone asks "what temp do you bake your pies at?" and you chose to claim your lawyer states you can't say what temp you bake at.  Get real.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:29:53 PM by parallei »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
I have no desire to be fed on your house.  Many people here already helped to pay for your house.   The way I see it, you've already profited from me and others.  Are you a not for profit business?  Many professional pizza makers have discussed, in some detail, their methods on the forum.  Unlike you, I don't think any of them have asked, here, for free money to start their business. Someone asks "what temp do you bake your pies at?" and you chose to claim your lawyer states you can't say what temp you bake at.  Get real.

Sorry to offend - can't please everyone.   

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 09:45:42 PM »
I'm sure if you did a little digging on here, you would be able to find out what temp Walter bakes at. And quite possibly more information than that. No need to bust the guy's stones.
Chaz

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 11:26:47 PM »
I'm sure if you did a little digging on here, you would be able to find out what temp Walter bakes at. And quite possibly more information than that. No need to bust the guy's stones.

I have no interest at all about what temp Walter bakes his pies at.  I mean, how trivial is that?

To me, the thought that someone wouldn't tell what temp they bake at is 180 degrees out from the spirt of this forum.  This is especially true when so many people here given moral and finical support to Walter.  But as Walter said, you can't please everyone.  I'm sure his lawyer would agree.  Please don't sue me!

So, my deepest apologies if I offended anyone. 

Offline JAG

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »
The spirit of this forum and running a successful business on a shoestring budget have no commonality. For those of us that have given Walter moral and/or financial support do it from the goodness of our hearts and our belief in his cause. We all may be interested in his process, because his pizza is incredible, but if Walter wants to keep it proprietary that should be no reason to be a sarcastic, cynical *^%$. That is not the "spirit of this forum"

JG 

Offline invertedisdead

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
if Walter wants to keep it proprietary that should be no reason to be a sarcastic, cynical *^%$. That is not the "spirit of this forum"

JG

I thought surely he was being sarcastic saying his oven temp was a trade secret lol.
Ryan

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 10:48:18 AM »
For those of us that have given Walter moral and/or financial support do it from the goodness of our hearts and our belief in his cause.

JG

That is very true.  As noted above, sorry if I offended anyone.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 11:24:07 AM »
I appreciate all the responses. I have learned running a business with pizza opens a door that is completely different than making pizza for a hobby.  We are a mom/pop operation and our profits are no where near big enough to give our secrets away. I have been amazed at how many people want us to share our process for free yet if I was to ask them the secrets/free advice of their business they would refuse to share trade secrets and give free advice that would result in us no longer requiring the use of their services.  Much of my process is here on the forum but the processes to run an all day, all week pizzeria, have caused my pies to evolve to new processes on many levels.   I have refrained from posting much on the pizza making process since opening our business and now can understand why most pizza owners don't post here.  We deeply appreciate all the support people here have given us for our social cause, have no intention to offend those that have supported us, and hope that is clear.  Walter

PS:  Our main goal is to help people with disabilities work and have meaning in their lives. Pizza is a distant 2nd but essential to our being able to make the main goal work :)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:24:32 PM by waltertore »

wordpress