Author Topic: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx  (Read 24413 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
Nearly a year ago I started this thread.
A few days ago, I invited Peter (Pete-zza) to lunch at Il Cane Rosso.  With proper security measures taken, and a "light screening" we enjoyed lunch together today.  If that wasn't enough, Jay was there, and "supervised" each bite of the Margherita and the Luana pizzas that we ordered.  The oven was toasty warm on a cold day here in Dallas.  They were knocking out garlic knots, bread and brunch items, left and right.  Toward the end of the meal, the line had beginned to form.  The place was orderly, clean and structured as far as the oven area went.  

Dallas is very fortunate to have a VPN restaurant.  I am very fortunate to have 2 great friends to share lunch with today.  The Neapolitan pizza was outstanding.  It was equal or above Antico in Atlanta.

Jay is doing well, expanding the existing store, still doing the mobile thing, and rumored to be opening another location.  Maybe even another style pizza location.

Thanks Peter and Jay, I had 2 great pizzas, an even better visit and an unrivaled story of a pizza lunch with 2 hardcore pizza fellows :chef:

>>  Guy Fieri tagged Jays wall.  The DDD Dallas still has not been aired.  Jay complimented Guy and his crew while filming, I suspect Guy will do the same.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:07:31 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 10:32:05 PM »
I, too, had a thoroughly great time with Gene and Jay, even after I removed my mask, hat and fake nose and glasses. And, after frisking Gene to make sure that he didn't have a camera with him and wasn't wired, we proceeded to have a very nice lunch and an enjoyable conversation with Jay. Jay is a genuinely nice, down to earth guy. I had arrived at Cane Rosso a bit earlier than Gene and spotted Jay at one end of the bar next to a pretty young lady with her iPad (we were later told that it was his daughter, Emma). I approached Jay, extended my hand, and said something like: "You don't know me but I think you know me". Seeing the puzzled look on his face, I quickly added that I was from the pizzamaking.com forum and I was the guy called Pete-zza. He smiled and said he knew who I was. That prompted a discussion on how I came to know what I know about pizza, shortly after which Gene arrived. We ordered the pizzas that Gene mentioned and had a nice conversation with Jay about a wide range of topics pizza related. By the end of our meal, I felt that I had known these guys for years. Maybe it is because our forum creates virtual friendships that can materialize into real friendships with ease.

Thanks again, Gene, for inviting me to join you for lunch at Jay's place. And, thanks, Jay, for being such a good and gracious host.

Peter

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »
Sounds like you chaps had a lovely time.  Now let's see some pictures of Pete-zah....I mean Pizza, the Pies!  :-D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:02:07 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
What a great get together! You guys must have had a blast.

John

Offline Tman1

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
If I ever get to Dallas, Il Cane Rosso is on my list. I follow him on Facebook and he's putting out some other amazing looking stuff too.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »
They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. And, in that vein, Jay mentioned that there are some people who come into Cane Rosso with cameras and take photos of his pizzas, including upskirt photos, and try to pump the servers for information about the pizzas. Of course, he doesn't know if they are just pizza hobbyists or someone trying to start a business. He has chosen not to tell people that they can't take photos of his pizzas.

Jay also mentioned the perils of running a mobile pizza business in Texas, especially during the summer. This past summer was brutal, and that prevented Jay from operating the mobile business for a few months during the summer. There was just no way to keep the dough balls cool.

I forgot to mention earlier that Jay has what looks to be a killer brunch menu. That gives his customers some very creative options if they do not wish to have pizza. The details of his brunch are set forth at Jay's website.

As we were getting ready to leave, I teased Gene about not going dumpster diving behind Jay's place. He is the best at that sort of thing than just about any member I have seen. It is almost instinctive that he do it as a part of his ritual. Jay got a good laugh out of this.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time together and enjoyed talking about pizza and also getting to try Jay’s pizza.  Nice report!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
I also Tag along with Jay and his constant pics on Facebook, yes, he is doing some amazing things there for sure. I believe He was my first glimpse of the  Mobile WFO business many years ago when he started. I was hooked with the story from the Corporate world and the product neapolitan, which I had just started to attempt in my home oven. Rest was downhill  and I eventually dove in. Jay was encouraging and helpful and even offered me to come work some events  with his mobile crew to see what it was really all about. The timing was off or yes I would have jumped on it. I would love to get there some day to meet and eat!  :P Very nice guy. Reminds me of Paulie Gee in some ways, and I believe he is good friends with him as well? Paulie does not say no to pics either, which is really cool, as evidenced in our NYC tour,  but does not give up any secrets, tomatoes OR  fermentation! If you can figure it out fine but I ain't tellin ya! Personally I love that, and would never push for info if not offered !
Peter Your comments are true on the virtual friendships here.  I love getting emails with questions from members new and old.  They ussually start with nice  comments on Flirting With Fire, the mobile WFO bus., that they are interested in how it works, and want to give it a go. I  will allways  help out whenever and whoever I can. I do have some real friends here now and very thankful for all everyone shares.
Now its on to to make pies like Craig and John, and who knows? when that perfect spot comes up ???
 Cane Jr. opens when?
 Congrats on your success Jay !
John
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:08:13 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
Sounds like you chaps had a lovely time.  Now let's see some pictures of Pete-zah....I mean Pizza, the Pies!  :-D

Chau, I had a camera hidden in my pants leg but Peters "people" found it pretty quick.  Otherwise, I would have some great pictures to post. :'(

Jay was calm, cool and collected.  His GM (new ?) has taken quite a load off of Jay.  They bought the place to the side of them and are going to knock a hole in the wall to access the next door facilities.  Included next door is a new "dough" room.  This guy has things going on....

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
Hey All - it was awesome to get to meet THE Pete-zza and of course Gene.  It was just by pure luck that I was there for brunch - I coach my daughter's lacrosse team and practice was canceled so we went to go hang out at the restaurant.  Glad we made the detour.  We are celebrating our 1 year anniversary this week (technically it is on 2/14, but we are having our party on Monday).  Seems like we've been open for a LOT longer than a year.  As I told Pete & Craig, making pizza has been the easiest part of the job...but I certainly don't miss my old corporate gig!  We have lots of good stuff planned for this year...hope to have some of you other guys wander in sometime.

Jay
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:35:51 PM by jjerrier2450 »

Offline scott123

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 02:18:17 AM »
He has chosen not to tell people that they can't take photos of his pizzas.

So, let me get this straight- he does allow photos of the pizzas or he doesn't?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
So, let me get this straight- he does allow photos of the pizzas or he doesn't?

scott123,

They can take photos.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »
As was mentioned earlier, Guy Fieri paid a visit to Cane Rosso for a DDD segment to be aired later this year. I found an interesting article on Guy Fieri this morning that Jay and our members may wish to see. It is at http://www.successmagazine.com/food-network-star-guy-fieri/PARAMS/article/1009.

Peter

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »
Just found out that our episode of DDD airs on 4/30!

Jay

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
That's awesome. Your going to be even more busy then you already are. Is it time to open a second location???

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
Just found out that our episode of DDD airs on 4/30!

Jay

Just a reminder....  I'll have one of the kids set the recorder.  God knows I couldn't do it. :-D

Offline NickT66

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Had read about you here on the Website......  Flew over from El Paso for a seminar this weekend.....
First night here we had an "Emma" and a "Bianca"!!  Awesome pies!!  =)
Keep up the good work!
Beautiful oven!!

Nick

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 08:41:59 PM »
My dear loving beautiful wife set the dvr for 9:00 central per the time slot advertised on Direct TV.  I am on pins and needles, I'm going to mow part of the 5 acres to calm me down.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
My dear loving beautiful wife set the dvr for 9:00 central per the time slot advertised on Direct TV.  I am on pins and needles, I'm going to mow part of the 5 acres to calm me down.
Same here, minus the cutting 5 acres part.

I always wondered how DDD was shot. Is he there all day or multiple days?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Same here, minus the cutting 5 acres part.

I always wondered how DDD was shot. Is he there all day or multiple days?

For lack of a better term, I'm guessing it is bang and go. Depending on the location and whatnot...

P.s.  I didn't do all five.  Start close to the house and work your way ti the :pizza: road...

pizzapan