Author Topic: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx  (Read 26099 times)

scott123

Re: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
Today, I donít believe that a 24 hour ferment with bakerís yeast will produce a noticeably better baked pie than a 12 hour ferment.

So, let me get this right, you're telling me that a 24 hour IDY and a 12 IDY are virtually indiscernible, while there's a world of difference between a 24 SD and a 12 SD?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
So, let me get this right, you're telling me that a 24 hour IDY and a 12 IDY are virtually indiscernible, while there's a world of difference between a 24 SD and a 12 SD?

Yes - assuming the SD is handled properly - that's what I'm saying.

Should I duck and run for cover now?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »

This is what I have been saying for a long time now.  This holds true for CY and ADY as well too.  The difference is negligible.  It is even negligible between a 24h vs 36, 48, and beyond.  Most folks including most members will not be able to taste the difference.  Differences in flavor profiles in the sauce, cheese, oils, and toppings amount to a bigger difference in overall taste.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:39:00 PM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »
Yes - assuming the SD is handled properly - that's what I'm saying.

I think this is a conversation for another time  :) These are topics that are near and dear to my heart, but, in the context of this thread, it's difficult broaching these subjects without looking like I'm being critical of Jay, which, at this point, is not my intention.  It's going to take me a while to get my head around the idea that a 9-13 hour dough can be so incredibly sublime, and I may have to take another look at the relationship between texture, time and flavor, but with your hearty endorsement, Craig, I have no other choice.

I'm truly glad that your visit was so momentous and that you finally have a stellar Neapolitan pizzeria in your area for when you don't want to fire up the Garage.  This is yet another well deserved feather in Cane Rosso's cap.

Edit: Good to see you Chau! :)  Feel free to gloat.  You've won this battle, but I'm not conceding the war  ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:55:37 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »
Me gloat?  Not my style Scott.  ;D  I just report my findings that's all, or I use to anyway.   But just because I think the differences are negligible, it doesn't take anything away from all the members that can appreciate the small difference.  It's great that we can all make what we like. 

From Craig's description of Jay's Crust, it sounds a lot like my kind of crust for NP.  I need to make a trip down to Dallas soon.  Nice write up Craig.  okay im going back into my hole now.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2012, 10:36:17 PM »
I'm truly glad that your visit was so momentous and that you finally have a stellar Neapolitan pizzeria in your area for when you don't want to fire up the Garage.  

A 4 hour drive probably doesn't qualify as "in my area" even in Texas.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
Iíd like to know what his HR is. Iíve been working with 61-62%, and that might be part of it. Iíd guess he is higher. I donít know what flour he uses either.

In the TripleD airing he made dough using Caputo.

Offline communist

« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
I think this is a conversation for another time  :) Edit: Good to see you Chau! :)  Feel free to gloat.  You've won this battle, but I'm not conceding the war  ;D
  Scott, your dignity and class are impressive!  ( contrary to foolish accusations from your critics in the past )   ;DMark

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »
We've used Caputo Blue, Caputo Red...and if Craig had it this week it was San Felice.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
and if Craig had it this week it was San Felice.

Interesting - now two of the best Margheritas I've had were made with San Felice.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2012, 10:24:31 PM »
It should also be noted that Cane Rosso doesn't technically use same day dough.  The workflow goes something like this:  dough mixed at 9am, balled at 10am, dough ready to go to cooler around 6-7ish.  The next day pulled from the cooler, after a few hours it comes back to room temp and then it is used.

scott123

« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:57 PM »
It should also be noted that Cane Rosso doesn't technically use same day dough.  The workflow goes something like this:  dough mixed at 9am, balled at 10am, dough ready to go to cooler around 6-7ish.  The next day pulled from the cooler, after a few hours it comes back to room temp and then it is used.

Rob, unless they've changed recently, the regime you describe is not correct:

The dough recipe is Dino's from Naples, so I'm not sweating any authenticity or flavor concerns.  We do let it rest in bulk for about an hour before balling it up.  Whatever we don't use that day goes into the fridge and is brought to room temp before we stretch it.  The dough is really light.  We don't use any starter - just flour, water, salt, & yeast.  I'd love to do a 24 hr bulk ferment at room temp then ball for 6-8 hrs, but with our volume of 500-600 per day, it is logistically not possible.  Dough that has never been refrigerated makes fantastic pizza. Room temp is the absolute key for us.  When it's cold dough, the cornicione is flat and dense.

Your description is not that far off- the only difference is that you have them refrigerating all the dough, while Jay is refrigerating only leftover dough. For our conversation, that's a pretty big distinction, though.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
Interesting - now two of the best Margheritas I've had were made with San Felice.

Craig,

I like mine with Milagro Tequila but I guess that's another story :)

Seriously, though, I was just reading all the way through this thread and it was interesting, to say the least.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2012, 11:21:57 PM »

I like mine with Milagro Tequila but I guess that's another story :)

And some Grand Mariner?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2012, 11:25:22 PM »
And some Grand Mariner?

I don't do half-assed jobs, bro :)

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
I don't do half-assed jobs, bro :)

After my own heart.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
After my own heart.

Also...Simple syrup and a salt/lime/sugar mix for the rim. Not to forget freshly squeezed lime juice.

Are we straying from the topic at hand, though?  ???
Mike

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »
Are we straying from the topic at hand, though?  ???

Someone really should start a Margeritas! thread in the Off topic foods section...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
Someone really should start a Margeritas! thread in the Off topic foods section...

While I enjoy a margherita with gran mariner using a reposado tequila as the base, the classic margerita which should be a base for everyone should celebrate the unadultered taste of good agave tequila, which means a high quality 100% silver/blanco tequila.

Blanco tequila, raw agave nectar and fresh squeezed lime. Period. Done. No funny business with the rim either. It's like a good margherita pizza or good taco.....stop effing around and keep it high quality and simple.

If there are purer, more simple flavors that reflect the summer sun, I haven't found them.....although a good caipirinha or paloma comes close. Again, I like other margarita styles and love straight up reposados and anejos. But at the end of the day it either comes from the agave plant or a lime or it doesn't make it into the glass! Signed, a stout margarita purist.

Now I've had Il Cane Roso very high on my most wanted list for a while. It just got bumped up a notch....awesome Jay! -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:22 AM »
Now I've had Il Cane Roso very high on my most wanted list for a while. It just got bumped up a notch....awesome Jay! -k

Don't forget The Garage is only a couple hours South of Cane Rosso...
Pizza is not bread.