Author Topic: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx  (Read 24164 times)

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Il Cane Rosso- Dallas, Tx
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
A little better....
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
Don't forget The Garage is only a couple hours South of Cane Rosso...

How could I. The Garage is #1 on my pizzeria wish list.

A Southern tour of Il Cane Rosso right into The Garage and then to Sante Fe for Bill and Chau would be dope! --K

Offline othafa9

« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2012, 01:47:03 AM »
Rob, unless they've changed recently, the regime you describe is not correct:

Your description is not that far off- the only difference is that you have them refrigerating all the dough, while Jay is refrigerating only leftover dough. For our conversation, that's a pretty big distinction, though.

I can say for sure this IS the workflow that we use since I started here in early April.  Also, Craig, next time you come in say "Hi".  If you see a tall white guy with a Baltimore Orioles baseball cap, that'd be me.  I'd love to give a tour.

Offline scott123

« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2012, 02:15:32 AM »
I can say for sure this IS the workflow that we use since I started here in early April.  Also, Craig, next time you come in say "Hi".  If you see a tall white guy with a Baltimore Orioles baseball cap, that'd be me.  I'd love to give a tour.

Rob, let get this straight.  Are you saying that, since April, all the dough at Cane Rosso has spent a night in the cooler?  Are you there most of the time?  Is there any possibility that a different workflow is followed when you're not there?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »

Will do. Hopefully I will need to get to Dallas pretty soon.

Thanks!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
It should also be noted that Cane Rosso doesn't technically use same day dough.  The workflow goes something like this:  dough mixed at 9am, balled at 10am, dough ready to go to cooler around 6-7ish.  The next day pulled from the cooler, after a few hours it comes back to room temp and then it is used.
  this is the same method that amano's uses.amano uses 2 ounces of wet yeast for 55 pounds of flour.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »
And it  can and does stay in the fridge for more than 1 day if not needed  correct guys ? I have to use fridge but do 7-9 hours 68-73 then  Ball and into fridge.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:43:42 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline othafa9

« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
And it  can and does stay in the fridge for more than 1 day if not needed  correct guys ? I have to use fridge but do 7-9 hours 68-73 then  Ball and into fridge.

Correct.  But that is very rare for us,  It is very busy here.  Yes,  As I stated, this is the workflow.  Only a couple times have I ever seen us use the dough same day, at which point it was essentially emergency dough.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
Figured that  ;) I am sure there are little to no leftovers at ICR
thanks !!
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
I am going to climb out to where the limb barely supports me and hand you a saw and then say that your customers can not distinguish between your ideal workflow dough and the "emergency" dough.  Good or bad, and no comment either way, but that is what I guess the reality is.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2012, 03:02:48 PM »
I am going to climb out to where the limb barely supports me and hand you a saw and then say that your customers can not distinguish between your ideal workflow dough and the "emergency" dough.  Good or bad, and no comment either way, but that is what I guess the reality is.

Tom, this topic comes up at times with pizzamakers and/or shop owners.

While some customers certainly could pick out the difference, I would agree that the majority cannot.

The answer to this question is very telling of the owner and/or pizzaiolo.

With the correct answer from such a person being, "I can tell the difference". That's what matters.  :)

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2012, 08:51:05 PM »
OK - for the life of me, I cannot understand why everyone has their undies in a bunch over how we make dough...but I will attempt to clarify and then vanish from this board before I blow my brains out:

Rob is correct...I misspoke earlier.  The CURRENT Workflow is that we mix dough in many batches starting at 9am.  Each batch rests for about an hour or so...then we ball it up...then leave it in our dough room or outside our dough room at room temperature all day.  If we look like we are running low at the pizza station, we will use some of the "same day" dough generally between 9-11pm at night.  Otherwise, we roll it into our walk in, then pull it out first thing the next morning and when it comes to room temp, we'll use it all day.  The workflow has changed dramatically from when we first opened - we always dipped into same day dough at the end of the day and I hated the pizzas.  Now we have a bigger staff and more dough trays, so we don't have to dip into same day as much...it's pretty rare.

To further complicate things...Rob & I sometimes do not think the dough gets to temp quick enough for the lunch shift which begins at 11am.  So on the day before, we MAY make a batch that will proof at room temp all day and all  night to be used for lunch the next day - if we have time and space.  Workflow: mix at 3pm with FAR less yeast, let rest in bulk all day (just for you Scott123) and then ball it up at 11pm.  Holds in dough room overnight at 65 degrees.  We're trying to figure out the logistics to be able to consistently do this every day, but there are a lot of moving parts. I guess the point is that between Dino, Rob and me...we constantly tweak the workflow of how/when we make dough to come up with a pizza that we all like.

When I was on DDD with a million people staring at me, lights in my face and HD cameras doing proctology I may have said that after 8 hours or so the dough is ready...technically it is, but it is better with the other 2 ways.

No, most of our customers can't tell the difference between same day, refrigerated, or room temp dough - but we can, along with a handful of other regular customers (and of course all of the seasoned, internationally traveled Yelpers and other bon vivants that have "had pizza exactly like this in Venice and Rome"). The dough is a critical component of our pizza for sure, but we also are looking at the big picture of house made fior di latte (is it salty enough, creamy enough, too hard, too wet, too soft?), the sauce (is it ground too fine, is there enough salt, not enough salt?), toppings (is the soppressata sliced thin enough?), pizzaioli (are they opening the dough properly, stretching too much, too little?), Oven (too hot, too cold, is the wood wet?).  So the dough is a critical component - but it is one of many.

At the end of the day, regardless of how/when/who made the dough, I think our pizza tastes really good.  Not sure who here has had it or not.  But if you like it, great.  If you don't like it, I'm sorry.

Peace out (drops mic).

jamie

« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
@Jay. Wow. You went above and beyond to provide that awesome detail of your workflow. You really didn't need to go to that trouble on account of people who have no real interest in tasting your pizza in the first place or any experience of what it takes to do what you do, day-in day-out. You guys do amazing work with an incredible set-up. Long may your success continue!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:11:08 PM by jamie »

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »

Peace out (drops mic).

Awesome. Can't please all the people all the time.

Offline Ev

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2012, 11:43:25 PM »
 :o :o :o    I'm figuring I'll wake up soon, and none of this will have really happened.

Offline scott123

« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:53 AM »
I'm figuring I'll wake up soon, and none of this will have really happened.

Fair enough.  I edited my post and shared my feelings privately.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
....Now that the smoke has cleared....

I am so far behind, I didn't know Jay was featured on DDD.  I found it on YouTube and came away very impressed.  Jay does all the grunt work and still finds the time to piss around with us little people.  We all want to know the secrets, formulas and strategies of the folks who "made it".  Remember how we all fawned and pored over the UPN videos a couple of years ago?  Its what drives this forum and the direct cause of the wonderful pizzas that some have achieved here.  I can only imagine the pressure of performing each day to a house full of customers who expect to be amazed by close up and personal table magic.  But secretly they all want the guy on high wire to fall so they can say they were there and the pizza just ain't worth it.  Keep it up, Jay, you have great balance.  And please don't leave.

I do have a question for you.  These episodes are probably not in sequence.  I watched the next one which featured Marla's Caribbean Cusine.  Did Guy stick his arm in your oven?  He is sporting a burn stripe on his right forearm. 

Offline communist

« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2012, 11:04:21 AM »
OK - for the life of me, I cannot understand why everyone has their undies in a bunch over how we make dough...but I will attempt to clarify and then vanish from this board before I blow my brains out:

Rob is correct...
  We are just passionate about pizza.  Don't leave and don't hurt yourself, we like you!  As usual, Scott was right!  Wow!  Mark

jamie

« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
Quote from: Scott123
<edited: well apparently Scott removed his um...."passionate" post - I was reading a cached copy apparently>

Well I'm glad to say Scott does NOT speak for ALL of us.
Personally, I feel that the presence of professionals like Jay, Rob and others are exactly what makes this forum special. @Jay: To echo what I posted earlier - your contributions are above and beyond and hope you continue to feel welcome and appreciated here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:09:44 PM by jamie »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:06 PM »
<edited: well apparently Scott removed his um...."passionate" post - I was reading a cached copy apparently>

Jamie,

In my role as Moderator, I deleted the post after scott123 had deleted the entire content (members can't delete posts). That is my standard operating procedure.

Peter

pizzapan