Author Topic: March 2011 Monthly Challenge: "upside down"  (Read 7275 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
March 2011 Monthly Challenge: "upside down"
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
ready, set, go
I'm on too many of these boards

buceriasdon

Re: March 2011 Monthly Challenge: "upside down"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »
I call it a Boy Scout upside down pizza. The "tin can" inside was brushed with oil and then sprinkled with Parmesan. I then filled it with Asadero cheese, salami, diced poblano and mushrooms with tomato sauce on each layer. Topped, or bottomed with another layer of cheese and tomato sauce. Draped a skin over the can and trimmed the dough at the bottom, er, I mean the top. Baked in my funky toaster oven until golden brown. Flipped it over and the can was twisted off. Listo!
Don
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:31:18 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
ready, set, go

You should do this challenge in the summer so all us WFO guys can showcase all the pies that we drop. ;D

Matt

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:49 PM »
 :-[
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Guts

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »
I call it a Boy Scout upside down pizza. The "tin can" inside was brushed with oil and then sprinkled with Parmesan. I then filled it with Asadero cheese, salami, diced poblano and mushrooms with tomato sauce on each layer. Topped, or bottomed with another layer of cheese and tomato sauce. Draped a skin over the can and trimmed the dough at the bottom, er, I mean the top. Baked in my funky toaster oven until golden brown. Flipped it over and the can was twisted off. Listo!
Don

I really like this idea the combinations are endless. are you using the regular pizza dough for this or is there a special dough that you use? very creative and I think I'd like to try this one. Thanks for the pictures along with the post.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
Thanks Kim, Yes, this idea has many possiblities. I've never made deep dishes before the last couple of weeks and find it difficult for me to get the pizza out without damage. This solves that problem. It also solves the problem of dough not wanting to stay up the sides of a pan as gravity helps the dough stay put when reversed. I made a same day dough, nothing fancy except for the addition of semolina($7 dollars for 680 grams) and used the deep dish calculator here. I am doing one more 4" reverse cheeseburger, bacon and mushroom pizza with BBQ sauce today, then on to a 7" pan.
Don

I really like this idea the combinations are endless. are you using the regular pizza dough for this or is there a special dough that you use? very creative and I think I'd like to try this one. Thanks for the pictures along with the post.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:42 PM »
ahem
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
I was given some fresh caught tuna steak today so I changed the menu for tonight's upside down. First layer of Asadero cheese followed by raw diced tuna, then some chopped black olive and another layer of Asadero. The sauce was made from fresh plum tomatos, diced then crushed along with chopped basil and garlic. The flavors were allowed to blend for several hours then drained. I was curious to see what would happen if I didn't punch down the dough like yesterday and allowed to rise again. Puffed up more than I would have liked so it's punch down for same day dough. A gourmet pot pie for sure. :D
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
I work where I live(manage a hotel) and often I am interrupted while cooking and made a rookie mistake while making pizza. Tonight I forgot to oil the outside of my can therefore the can did not slip out cleanly and of course such things happen when you are having friends over for dinner to taste test my lastest mad experiment. :-[ I did get it somewhat presentable before serving and my friends where very pleased with the zucchini, mushroom, fresh tomato sauce with my vegan cheese subsitute. It is quite a challenge to come up with a wow vegan pizza, but we all said wow. Anyways, oil the inside AND the outside if trying this method.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »
 La pizza de esta noche es Margherita con tomates chiquito, albahaca y queso panela con ajo y orégano secado. Los cuadros muestran la secuencia de preparación. ¡Muy rico!

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
Tonight's cherry tomato, basil, panela cheese upside down pizza. I decided after the photo to take out some of the cherry tomatos but as it turned out it would have been fine. I had some unfounded concerns about being able to drape the skin on the top and tuck it down to the bottom of the pan. Panela is a soft but unmelting cheese, I use it alot here and love it in pizzas like this. After baking in my toaster oven I took it out of the pan and placed it under the broiler to finish. Outstanding, next time a 9" pan so I might have leftovers.
Don

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
This is going to take some imagination.

So I imagine myself in my kitchen making pizza. I am transported on a line from Santa Fe, through the center of the earth, to a point on the other side - now I'm upside down. My kitchen is rapidly filling with seawater since I have landed in a remote part of the Indian Ocean. As the rising waters churn around me, I manage to grab my plastic tub of 00 flour, a pizza makeup board, a pizza peel, and a Caputo apron - all of which I fashion into a makeshift raft with a sail and barely make it on-board.

Just as my kitchen disappears into the deep, I snatch up a ball of Di Palo fresh mozzarella and paint a face on it. I name it "Mutzy" and it becomes my silent, yet comforting, companion on a perilous journey through typhoons, pirates, and shark attacks. Days, maybe weeks later, my lifeless, emaciated body washes up on the shores of Madagascar. Workers from a nearby vanilla plantation spot me on the beach and rush to my aid. They can barely make out the words my parched lips with enormous effort are trying to form to give voice to the only thought that has kept me going through the entire ordeal: "is .... it ...... still ...... March .... 2011?

Steve sends the Pizzamaking.com Gulfstream to fly me back home. On the flight, I use the SatPhone to negotiate a deal for the movie to be made of my ordeal. Brad Pitt will play me and Angelina Jolie's lips will play Mutzy. Mutzy and a big bag of Madagascar vanilla accompany me on the flight home.

Soon I am back in my kitchen making a pie for this month's challenge. I'll miss Mutzy.    

A few years ago I actually acquired a big bag of Madagascar vanilla beans with which I made a batch of vanilla extract - really good stuff. One of my favorite things to make with it is Vanilla Shrimp from a Patricia Quintana recipe: Camarones a la Xanath from her book Mexico's Feasts of Life. This dish is in the section on Lent, which starts this week.

Shrimp are marinated in vanilla extract, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. The shrimp are then sauteed in butter. A thick, rich sauce is reduced from the pan juices, chicken stock, white wine, and more vanilla.  

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:36:26 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
Bill,

Your whole post had me cracking up, until I saw the beautiful upside down pizza you made.  Great post and pizza!

What an imagination!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »
Tonight was cacciatore chicken with Asedaro cheese in a 7" pan.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
This is going to take some imagination.

**like**
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Tonight was cacciatore chicken with Asedaro cheese in a 7" pan.

Don,

Your upside down  cacciatore chicken with Asedaro cheese pizza looks delicious!  :) What kind of formula and flour combination are you using for your crust?  It looks good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
Don your pies are looking amazing!

buceriasdon

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Norma, Thanks, I'm using a fairly generic recipe for the dough with oil. A mid 50s hydration with the oil to aid in workability. The dough has to be supple in both uses, draped over a can or simply draped over toppings as with the chicken cacciatore. I haven't tried brushing with egg white yet, though I may, I've been brushing with olive oil before the bake to help with browning. To me the crust takes on a more bisquit like flavor when baked in reverse. Pleasant change of pace.
Don

Don,

Your upside down  cacciatore chicken with Asedaro cheese pizza looks delicious!  :) What kind of formula and flour combination are you using for your crust?  It looks good.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
Thanks Seles, That means alot to me. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking down a lonely road in these monthly challenges.
Don

Don your pies are looking amazing!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »
Thanks Seles, That means alot to me. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking down a lonely road in these monthly challenges.
Don

You're not alone. I'm on the sidelines cheering you on!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.