Author Topic: March 2011 Monthly Challenge: "upside down"  (Read 6719 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re: March 2011 Monthly Challenge: "upside down"
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
I might actually post my pictures for this months.  We'll see this weekend.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
Thanks Seles, That means alot to me. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking down a lonely road in these monthly challenges.
Don

Don all of your work is very artisinal.  I enjoy looking at what you will come up with next.  Keep up the good work.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

buceriasdon

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 05:16:32 PM »
 I bought a Red Bull drink, 250ml. can. I draped the skin over it and removed the excess dough with scissors. Not the way to do it. Would have been faster and easier to cut a rectangle and rolled that around the can, then added a round to the top, er, the bottom of the cup and sealed the edges. Next time. I'm not used to this oven but the crust overall turned out much better. Still could have shortened the parbake a bit. The filling was diced steak, green pepper, onion, cheese and homemade BBQ sauce with Habanjero chilies I had on hand. I think the cone is easier to eat than the cup when it comes to the finish.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 05:35:52 PM »
Oops :-[ I forgot to post this deep dish upside down. I three quarter filled, parbaked then flipped it over removed the pan and topped it off, then finished baking. The sauce is some Prego that some guests here gave to me when they left and I wanted to use it up. Eh, just ok but the pie was very good none the less. Salami, mushrooms,green pepper and olives.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
My entry for this “upside down” challenge is this pizza made with pasta for the crust. The crust was made with egg yolks, grated cheeses, flour and pasta.  The dressings can be changed from what I used.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
Norma, I'm liking it. I'm liking it a lot.  Tell more.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
Norma, I'm liking it. I'm liking it a lot.  Tell more.
Don

Don,

Thanks, this is where I posted what I did. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13238.0.html If anyone wants me to scan in the recipe, I can, but I used more ingredients than the recipe called for, because I used a bigger deep-dish pan. A deep-dish pan doesn't have to be used.  Any pan with edges can be used.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
The dough, cheese, and bacon are all upside-down.  I just couldn't bring myself to place the spinach and broiled chicken upside-down as it didn't look right.  I tried to spread the sauce on upside-down, but it proved to be excessively polarized.  I decided not to turn my oven upside-down for this one.  Maybe next time.

- red.november

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »
Its 'upside down' for me since I never have pizza for breakfast, only lunch or dinner  :-D

buceriasdon

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 08:52:35 PM »
I wanted to revisit this particular pie and attempt some fine tuning. I picked up some queso fresco, a none aged crumbly cheese that doesn't melt with an acidic taste to counter the sweetness of the cherry tomato. As the pie is quite juicy from the tomatos roasting it must be eaten with a knife and fork, no crispy crust here, but no matter, just an outstanding taste from the cherry tomatos layed with basil and queso fresco. I gave half to my foodie friend Donita and she absolutely loved it. I agree with her. Completly different than any pizza I've ever made.
Don

ps. If anyone who tries this method but doesn't want such a soggy crust do this: Use a throw away aluminum pie pan and poke some holes in the bottom and set on another pan and elevate slightly so the tomato juices drain out while baking. I may try that myself.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:13:20 PM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:47 PM »
My no salt dough was ready to go but when I went to the store for cherry tomatoes all they had were a bit larger than I like, but what are you going to do? I forgot to take a picture of the cheese layer also. I used my spice blend on the tomato olive level and was quite pleased with the taste it added. The aluminum pan trick with holes punched in the bottom worked fine, it did bake different than my black enameled pan, though still very juicy. I just happen to have a few green olives I threw in. I didn't miss salt. I'm going to try an olive one next.
Don

Offline SELES

• I design stuff.
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
You're not alone. I'm on the sidelines cheering you on!

Craig

That's right Don. You've got fans here. I'll be trying your cherry tomato pie as soon as I can get my hands on some.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
It was ugly, but taste good.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
I was hungy so ate a slice before taking more pictures.