Author Topic: Serious Eats Pizza Lab: Best low-moisture Mozzarella for Pizza  (Read 13158 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Serious Eats Pizza Lab: Best low-moisture Mozzarella for Pizza
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »
Ted ,
Bit off topic but do try their (wallyworld) Great Value brand of crushed tomatoes I think they are OK, but  a lot of great things have been said about them as well.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
Ted ,
Bit off topic but do try their (wallyworld) Great Value brand of crushed tomatoes I think they are OK, but  a lot of great things have been said about them as well.
John

I agree with John,

...off subject here myself,I use the Great value puree ,or GV whole tomatoes as well as the crushed and they are all excellent for sauce bases.Its funny,I was telling a friend that it seems all the better stuff Im finding to use is the GV brand.I also did my own side by side taste test at home with all my local brands and the walmart GV won.
Red gold,red pack,hunts,del monte,furmanos,etc all lost to GV.I cant find cento or SM so I did not compare those,but you get the idea.Its good stuff.
 :)

-Bill

Offline TedW

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »
Thanks for going a bit off-topic! Helped me a lot!

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »
Ah OK so it is Wal Mart. That is just so funny that these store generic cheeses are so popular. Great news
Yep. WalMart. It's got a little "slime" (leftover brine, I guess) in the package, so it feels a little "eh" in the hand but it's really great cheese. No idea who makes it, but it's great. It's literally the ONLY thing I buy at Wal Mart.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:47:17 PM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline TedW

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Well I need to get over there!

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
I've used the "Great Value" Walmart brand whole milk mozz in the 1lb block. Saw it next to the Polly-O for 60% the price of Polly-O.

It's pretty good. I recommend trying it.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »
isn't the world great!  we can celebrate all of our different opinions!

I deal with pizza parlors every day... and test these products on a commercial level.

Since Kraft bought Polly-o... they have changed the cheese over the years... and I really do not like the product.

Grande is a great product... but i have been turned on to Bel Gioioso... and I am sold.  Bel Gioioso is the best in my opinion.

BG also has great burrata, crescenza, and absolutely the best, wonderfuly-creamy Gorgonzola.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 01:30:42 AM »
Bel Gioioso is the best in my opinion.

Bel Gioioso is good. I've liked everything I've tried from them. I have yet to find any whole milk mozzarella from them that's not "fresh mozzarella" in my area, though.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
Where can Belgioso be found and how much is it?

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
Where can Belgioso be found and how much is it?
Wegman's store brand mozzarella blocks of cheese are belgioso. I will be trying it on my next pizza. If I remember correctly, it was $5 for 16oz. Last time I bought cheese I didn't go with it because it was more expensive than sorrento, and also it seemed to have a lot of moisture in the package. It sounds like that might actually be a good thing though?

Whenever I made pizza I don't seem to get that milky white cheese that you see on neopolitan pizza. I imagine it has to do with the oil from the pepporoni and red from the sauce. Is there anything else that leads to patches of milky white cheese on a pizza? Is it a certain type of mozz cheese?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:45:02 AM by mttfrog13 »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
Actually you might be surprised that one of the top pizzerias in the country (and one of my favorites) is using it.   

I agree with Essen1.......at least its better tasting than Grande!  It also has massive heat resistance, so it is good for coal oven temps. 

Yeah, I agree...Polly O curd is better than Grande curd, and the brick mozz is quite good.  At first, I didn't believe it cause I always associated Polly O with those nasty cheese sticks.....but, after a while, there was no denying it.  Its expensive....and not my first choice (besides the curd), but its waaaaaaay above average......prefer it to grande.

pizzapan