Author Topic: Serious Eats Pizza Lab: Best low-moisture Mozzarella for Pizza  (Read 13411 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Serious Eats tested 11 low-moisture mozzarellas from different brands.

Polly-O took the top spot, which doesn't surprise me at all. It's a great cheese and imho better than Grande. I have used it many times before until they pulled the plug on CA retailers such as Safeway.

Trader Joe's cheese was the runner up, which doesn't surprise me, either. TJ's low-moisture whole milk & part-skim are excellent cheese to use for an authentic NYC style or any other style for that matter. Another added bonus of TJ's mozza is that it is a couple of bucks cheaper for a 16 oz. block compared to brands such as Precious or Belgioioso.

Here's the link to the article:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-pizza-lab-the-best-low-moisture-mozzarella-for-pizzas.html

And the slideshow with a detailed description of each cheese:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/the-pizza-lab-the-best-low-moisture-mozzarella-for-pizzas-slideshow.html

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Serious Eats Pizza Lab: Best low-moisture Mozzarella for Pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
Awesome.  Polly-O and TJ's mozz are 2 of my favorites.   I also like Stella from Sam's club but that didn't make the list.

I like this line from the article.

if it don't got the stretch, then tasters will kvetch :-D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:06:03 PM by Jackie Tran »

scott123

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »
Before Kenji can start judging cheeses, he first needs to learn how to make pizza.

Polly-O has no opacity/creaminess, like Monterey Jack, and very little richness, even with the whole milk version. It's is a lot like King Arthur.  Twice the price it should be and never found in any self respecting pizzeria.  Foodservice mozzarella is as synonymous with NY pizza as bromate. It may be the least expensive option, but it completely massacres national brands. For most of the nation, foodservice = supermarket private label.

I went to college in Illinois in the 90s, and, at the time, I could walk into a supermarket that was pretty much in the middle of no where and buy private label mozzarella that was as good as I could get at home. I'm not saying you can get good private label cheese everywhere, but it's got to be at least most of the east coast and a good chunk of the midwest- and most likely further.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:00:46 PM by scott123 »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
Before Kenji can start judging cheeses, he first needs to learn how to make pizza.

Twice the price it should be and never found in any self respecting pizzeria.  

Actually you might be surprised that one of the top pizzerias in the country (and one of my favorites) is using it.    

I agree with Essen1.......at least its better tasting than Grande!  It also has massive heat resistance, so it is good for coal oven temps.  

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:04:17 PM »
it is damn expensive ......even wholesale, though still a little cheaper than grande usually.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:09:55 PM by scott r »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »

Polly-O has no opacity/creaminess, like Monterey Jack, and very little richness, even with the whole milk version.

Scott123,

I beg to differ. I found the exact opposite to be the case.  ;)

Polly-O is one of the best cheeses I had the pleasure of eating. It stretched very nicely, had great taste and showcased exceptional melting capabilities. Same goes for the TJ brand.

I might be blasphemous but Grande, for example, oiled off way too much and is in my opinion way too overpriced (more than $7 for less than 16oz). At least here in California. And the taste left much to be desired.

Scotty R,

Actually, Polly-O wasn't that expensive when it was available over here.

It was about the same price as the Precious brand for a 16oz block. Of course, food, and especially diary products, have increased 30% in the last couple of years here in CA.

I tried to find it today and it looks like there's only one place (Say Cheese) in SF that still carries it. It probably also comes with a hefty price tag.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:18:12 PM »
I like Polly-O. The only real problem I have with it is that as that after it's cooked and then it cools, it tends to look a little yellow and waxy. Not a big fan of that... also, it's a little on the bland side. I like a a little saltier flavor in my mozzarella.

One of my favorite WMM is Wally-World's Great Value brand. Not sure who makes it, but I like the flavor and the melt on it a lot. I usually add some Boar's Head sharp provolone to it and the mix is really great.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:19:47 PM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
I like Polly-O. The only real problem I have with it is that as that after it's cooked and then it cools, it tends to look a little yellow and waxy. Not a big fan of that... also, it's a little on the bland side. I like a a little saltier flavor in my mozzarella.

One of my favorite WMM is Wally-World's Great Value brand. Not sure who makes it, but I like the flavor and the melt on it a lot. I usually add some Boar's Head sharp provolone to it and the mix is really great.

If you like a tad saltier mozza, try the one from TJ's. It's great and saves you a couple of bucks.

Mike

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
If you like a tad saltier mozza, try the one from TJ's. It's great and saves you a couple of bucks.

Never heard of TJ's. Is there a link to find out if they sell here in the Austin area somewhere?

EDIT: Ok... Trader Joe's... sorry, I'm a little slow tonight. We don't have a Trader Joe's here.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:30:33 PM by Ronzo »
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
EDIT: Ok... Trader Joe's... sorry, I'm a little slow tonight. We don't have a Trader Joe's here.

Have a beer, Ron! Sounds like you had a long day.  ;D

Sorry I wasn't more exact, but I meant Trader Joe's. My bad.

I just did a quick search and there's no TJ's in the entire state of Texas!  ???  That's surprising.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:37:32 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline Ronzo

• New Texian Brewery
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »
Have a beer, Ron! Sounds like you had a long day.  ;D

Sorry I wasn't more exact, but I meant Trader Joe's. My bad.
Bed time in a few... I'll do two beers tomorrow to make up for it.

Not your fault. It's mine.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »

I tried to find it today and it looks like there's only one place (Say Cheese) in SF that still carries it. It probably also comes with a hefty price tag.

My sister lives in walnut creek, and less than a year ago Lunardi's had poly o, 6 in 1's, a good selection of san marzanos, and some crazy rectangular pepperoni that was out of this world good.   Pizza making heaven!   Also Genova had poly-o, imported buffalo mozzarella, and the same tomato selections as well, but the poly-o was only in half pound pieces that were pretty expensive.     

Good luck!   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
So I was a grande fan and since lost interest only liked the east coast blend because it held up in the WFO I also like the boars head $ pricey as well not too good in the high heat.
So yesterday put the Polly O thru the paces in the WFO I cooked /  demoed a smaller barrel oven will post some pics later. The Polly O held up great. I picked it up at restaurant depot 5lb bag similar price to the Stella they also sell. Used bagged only because I was soloing this event and had to do so much other stuff did not have time to shred my new Go To thanks scottr for the recommendations. Great stuff
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »
Jconk, if you don't mind can you do a comparison between the polly-o and stella.  How does stella stack up against polly-o?

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
Jackie,
I really liked the Stella in the home oven however I have the same problem in the WFO brown a bit to quick.
The string/stretch factor is as good as any in my opinion with the Stella. But now I  gotta go with the Polly-Polly-O  ;D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »
I hear ya.  Wish I had access to Polly-O but am happy to have Stella.  It's all good. ;D 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »

My sister lives in walnut creek, and less than a year ago Lunardi's had poly o, 6 in 1's, a good selection of san marzanos, and some crazy rectangular pepperoni that was out of this world good.   Pizza making heaven!   Also Genova had poly-o, imported buffalo mozzarella, and the same tomato selections as well, but the poly-o was only in half pound pieces that were pretty expensive.     

Good luck!   

I completely forgot about Lunardi's.

I had one right down the street from me in Belmont before I moved. There's one in San Bruno which I need to check out and see if they still carry it.

Thanks for refreshing my memory, Scott.  :)
Mike

Offline TedW

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »

Are you referring to Wal-Mart? Can't get Poly-O here anymore. I used to have it brought back from Buffalo NY with the mom-in-law but the local stores there don't carry it either. Not sure why

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
I agree with Ronzo,

Walmart has 2 Great Value mozz cheeses I really like.One is their whole milk mozz,comes in a 1 lb package.
Its very good and melts nicely.

The other is the large pre-shredded mozz cheese,low moisture,in the big 2-3 lb bag.(sorry forgot the weight at the moment)

This is one of the best cheeses I have ever found to date for the money.They have helped my NY style pies taste like more the places I grew up at.

I do not buy the smaller,shredded cheese hanging in the cheese display in small bags.Those are way too small,and burn faster in the oven.

Get the larger shredded cheese in the Great value bag with the green print on it.

These bags I use are usually laying down flat,too large to hang up.
 :)
-Bill

Offline TedW

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
Ah OK so it is Wal Mart. That is just so funny that these store generic cheeses are so popular. Great news

pizzapan