Author Topic: Serious Eats Pizza Lab: Best low-moisture Mozzarella for Pizza  (Read 16578 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Re: Serious Eats Pizza Lab: Best low-moisture Mozzarella for Pizza
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
I've used the "Great Value" Walmart brand whole milk mozz in the 1lb block. Saw it next to the Polly-O for 60% the price of Polly-O.

It's pretty good. I recommend trying it.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »
isn't the world great!  we can celebrate all of our different opinions!

I deal with pizza parlors every day... and test these products on a commercial level.

Since Kraft bought Polly-o... they have changed the cheese over the years... and I really do not like the product.

Grande is a great product... but i have been turned on to Bel Gioioso... and I am sold.  Bel Gioioso is the best in my opinion.

BG also has great burrata, crescenza, and absolutely the best, wonderfuly-creamy Gorgonzola.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 01:30:42 AM »
Bel Gioioso is the best in my opinion.

Bel Gioioso is good. I've liked everything I've tried from them. I have yet to find any whole milk mozzarella from them that's not "fresh mozzarella" in my area, though.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »
Where can Belgioso be found and how much is it?

Offline mttfrog13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
Where can Belgioso be found and how much is it?
Wegman's store brand mozzarella blocks of cheese are belgioso. I will be trying it on my next pizza. If I remember correctly, it was $5 for 16oz. Last time I bought cheese I didn't go with it because it was more expensive than sorrento, and also it seemed to have a lot of moisture in the package. It sounds like that might actually be a good thing though?

Whenever I made pizza I don't seem to get that milky white cheese that you see on neopolitan pizza. I imagine it has to do with the oil from the pepporoni and red from the sauce. Is there anything else that leads to patches of milky white cheese on a pizza? Is it a certain type of mozz cheese?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:45:02 AM by mttfrog13 »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
Actually you might be surprised that one of the top pizzerias in the country (and one of my favorites) is using it.   

I agree with Essen1.......at least its better tasting than Grande!  It also has massive heat resistance, so it is good for coal oven temps. 

Yeah, I agree...Polly O curd is better than Grande curd, and the brick mozz is quite good.  At first, I didn't believe it cause I always associated Polly O with those nasty cheese sticks.....but, after a while, there was no denying it.  Its expensive....and not my first choice (besides the curd), but its waaaaaaay above average......prefer it to grande.

pizzapan