Author Topic: KA mixer  (Read 999 times)

Offline cranky

KA mixer
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »
I mixed up two batches of dough in my KA mixer tonight.  At the end of the second batch the dough crept up just a little bit above the dough shield and got onto the stainless steel connector and retainer spring.  No problem.  Happens all the time.  As I lifted up the hook out of the bowl the dough stretched off the steel rod and spring and was black grey.  I suspect the lube in the mixer head leaked out.  Maybe a seal gave out.  I also suspect that the gears will go next unless this is relubed and sealed.  I know other people have rebuilt these, but has anyone seen this happen before where the lube leaks out of the mixer head?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: KA mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:30:13 AM »
black gray is aluminum wearing down when it gets wet
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline cranky

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »
black gray is aluminum wearing down when it gets wet

Thank you!  I am amaized it is not stainless.  Cheap product!

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »
I've had this same issue, and it actually was one of the reasons I went to the Bosch (just yesterday, in fact).  Nothing worse than battling a larger amount of dough, to finally get it kneaded, then have to go through and try to find the "black dough" to remove!

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
Was wondering what the advantage to the Bosch I have been hearing alot about here lately?

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
@forza, do a search for Bosch, and you'll get what you want.  Scot r did a great write up.  My first blush attempt was last night...I dropped in a titch over 2000 gr of AT for a 61.5% hydration dough.  Something my KA would have puked about before I turned it on.  This is almost double what my HD KA could handle.  The Bosch never broke a sweat.  It hummed along like a damn Porsche and chewed through the dough like none other.  I did NOT like the temperature of the dough, but that is most likely user error and I'll make adjustments for that.  It's a beast...and from the texture of the dough that came out after a bench rest...wow, amazing results.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Ok will do but to summarize I bet you dont get that burnt motor smell when mixing and Im assuming holds more mass than a KA

pizzapan