Author Topic: counter top oven home use  (Read 7182 times)

Offline selprop

counter top oven home use
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

First post and thank you all for the information I been obtaining on here,, my question is I am searching for a counter top oven for home use that will stand up to most kitchen ovens as far as the cooking pizza aspects, can you recommend a brand ... model that will fit my needs,, just starting out so I will be experimenting,,,, I see many models and different specs. just trying to find the right one the first time rather than making that mistake and not being happy,,, 110v price range up to $600 and temp at least reaching 650 minimum.Any guidance and info would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: counter top oven home use
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
That is tough... have you checked on ebay for the bakers pride models?

I know they have one model that has separate top/bottom controls.

I had looked into mini versions of Jeff varasano's BakePartner oven and I think they were like 2000 dollars :(
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »
I have spent years researching these types of countertop ovens.   You could mod a bakers pride px14 or px16 with a stone, but then I think your max stone temp is going to be around 600, so no chance of neapolitan temps for you.    There are a number of chinese import ovens showing up on ebay claiming to do 850 or so, but even with these, I think a 750 degree floor temp is about max.    You can find them in your price range, so I think that would probably be your best bet.  Beware that the more powerful models often require a 220v outlet.

Good luck.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:35:19 AM by scott r »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »
I decided to check back on my old e-mails... The model was a 450ED and it was $2300 shipped.  That will fit a 16" pizza though.  I wonder if the one that fits a 12" pizza is much cheaper. 
Patrick

Offline selprop

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
I appreciate all the info you are giving me,,, I thought I was looking in the wrong places,,, so it is a touch call, I guess I just need to move up my price range,,,, any other recommendations what I should do just to start out,,, should I lower my expectations on what I am looking for and start at a one with a lower temp... my oven at home does not get that hot,,, should I just invest in a stone and try it that way ,,

Offline Tman1

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
Well, you couldn't quite do it on the countertop, but i spent less than $100
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/building-oven-14269.html

(I just posted this in another thread but it seems somewhat pertinent here- cheap option to cook pizza!)

Good luck with your pending decisions!

buceriasdon

Offline selprop

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »
I appreciate all the recommendations, I have already researched all of them,, It is just hard really to know unless someone has experienced with them or is familiar with the unit,, my search goes on,, all info is greatly appreciated.
Mark

Offline Cass

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
I have this little oven, and I'm very happy with it.
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »
That's one of the Chinese ovens I was talking about.   I think that would be your best bet.   Other than that you are going to see a huge price jump for not much more temp.   This oven will do everything but Neapolitan temps with ease.   

Offline Cass

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
It makes awesome NY Style pizza, cooked right around 700.

I think it paid for itself in about four months. 

No more hours long oven preheats/broiler always on electric bills!   :-D
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »
Yes, 220v equates to lower electrical usage. Selprop, do you have an available 220v out at your breaker box as a new line will have to brought in from the box?
Don

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
That's one of the Chinese ovens I was talking about.   I think that would be your best bet.   Other than that you are going to see a huge price jump for not much more temp.   This oven will do everything but Neapolitan temps with ease.   

It'll do Neapolitan Temps & then some.  The major issue is that when you max out the temp on both elements the bottom stone gets so hot that the bottom will turn to charcoal in seconds.

Matt

Offline selprop

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 04:43:01 PM »
I will take a look

thanks
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:49:36 PM by selprop »

Offline selprop

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
I dont have 220v old building on the beach

I appreciate it

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
Ok, Then it's the Bakers Pride if you can't bring in a new line. I posted that link as you did say 110v.
Don

I dont have 220v old building on the beach

I appreciate it

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
what is the link to the chinese oven please?    Do you mean the Bakers pride?

Has anyone tried those... my concern is you cant control top/bottom elements separately...
Patrick

Offline Matthew

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
what is the link to the chinese oven please?    Do you mean the Bakers pride?

Has anyone tried those... my concern is you cant control top/bottom elements separately...

Which one?  I have the Sage oven & it's awesome.

Matt

buceriasdon

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 03:42:40 AM »
Wow that is a neat little oven.  Does that oven have any ratings?  CE or UL or anything?  Have you posted pics of pizzas made with the sage oven?   Sorry I have been MIA on this forum for a while and must have missed out on this.    Could you share about how you set the elements for even bakes?  thanks so much.

At one point like Scott R I spent days scouring eBay, and google for counter top ovens with separate top/bottom controls and 700+ F temps.

It is difficult to tell witha lot of these ovens if they actually have separate top/bottom controls (like most of the Bakers Pride ovens, it looks like they have a Timer, and a single temp control....and they oven don't bother to tell you unlike this sage guy on ebay).

Is the problem that most people do not have 240v outlets in their home?????  Not that this is cheap... 454 bucks shipped but much cheaper than many alternatives.  

Guys 240v isn't that tough!    And to the original poster... almost all homes are going to deliver 240v to the panel.   You would just have to figure out where you want your oven and pay someone to run it or you might do it yourself if you feel comfortable.

If you could see me I have mini pizzas instead of eyeballs right now  :pizza: :pizza: thinking about 750F counter top ovens with separate top bottom heat control  >:D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:59:39 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick