Author Topic: counter top oven home use  (Read 6842 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: counter top oven home use
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »
Wow that is a neat little oven.  Does that oven have any ratings?  CE or UL or anything?  Have you posted pics of pizzas made with the sage oven?   Sorry I have been MIA on this forum for a while and must have missed out on this.    Could you share about how you set the elements for even bakes?  thanks so much.

At one point like Scott R I spent days scouring eBay, and google for counter top ovens with separate top/bottom controls and 700+ F temps.

It is difficult to tell witha lot of these ovens if they actually have separate top/bottom controls (like most of the Bakers Pride ovens, it looks like they have a Timer, and a single temp control....and they oven don't bother to tell you unlike this sage guy on ebay).

Is the problem that most people do not have 240v outlets in their home?????  Not that this is cheap... 454 bucks shipped but much cheaper than many alternatives.  

Guys 240v isn't that tough!    And to the original poster... almost all homes are going to deliver 240v to the panel.   You would just have to figure out where you want your oven and pay someone to run it or you might do it yourself if you feel comfortable.

If you could see me I have mini pizzas instead of eyeballs right now  :pizza: :pizza: thinking about 750F counter top ovens with separate top bottom heat control  >:D

Patrick,
I did start a thread on it.  You can see it here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12165.0.html
These were the last pies that I made with it.  The temp is tricky & requires a little practice because it can get real hot real fast.  What I do is preheat the oven at 150C on the top & 250C on the bottom.  After about 45 minutes the stone temp is about 650F.  The top element takes about a minute to come on so as soon as I stretch the pie I crank up both the bottome & top controls to 400C.  By the time I'm ready to load the temp is about 700ish.  I also changes the stone to 3/4" corderite instead of the standard 1/2" stone that it comes with.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:58:14 AM by Matthew »

Offline matermark

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »
There's a used 120V model with independent upper & lower heat, 650F, that is NSF & UL rated for $350-$400...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bakers-Pride-Commercial-Electric-Pizza-Oven-14-/300531779149

Specification:

120V/60Hz/1500W/1Ph
USING REGULAR 120V PLUG

Weight: 45 lbs

Dimension: 19-5/8"W x 16.5"D x 8-3/16"H Exterior
13-1/4"W x 13-7/8"D x 3"H Bake Deck

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:00:12 AM by matermark »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:02 AM »
It'll do Neapolitan Temps & then some.  
Matt

I have a similar but (unfortunately) much more expensive italian version of this oven.  At any temps above about 725-750 floor the bake is not even, even when I crank the top element all the way up when the pizza goes in.   725 makes a great pizza, but its more coal oven style than neapolitan.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:29:05 AM by scott r »

Offline Cass

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Here is one from last night:

The deck temp hit 769 when I turned it off to do the prep work.  16" on a screen and then I turned the top element back on when I loaded it.  Then off the screen to finish on the stone.
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »
yeah, these babies can definitely do a great coal oven style.    Looks like im going to have to go ahead and get a wood burning oven to really do neapolitan, though.     The crazy thing is, my old maytag range  could do it on the cleaning cycle!   I could hit 950 ambient and 850 stone temps with that oven, and it cost under $400.   

Offline Matthew

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Here is one from last night:

The deck temp hit 769 when I turned it off to do the prep work.  16" on a screen and then I turned the top element back on when I loaded it.  Then off the screen to finish on the stone.

That's exactly how I do it.

Matt

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »
Thanks for all of the answers....Could you do this straight on the stone without the screen.  Maybe if you lowered the deck temp down a little?
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »
I only need to use the screen every now and then when the floor temp runs away from me.   

Offline Matthew

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
Thanks for all of the answers....Could you do this straight on the stone without the screen.  Maybe if you lowered the deck temp down a little?

Of course.  It is worth noting though that at 700-750 in that oven, the use of a screen does not compromise the end product what so ever.  Scott & Cass; do you agree?

Matt

Offline selprop

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
Scott,

what make and model do you have.

thanks
mark

thank you everyone from all your imput

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 06:47:51 PM »
Of course.  It is worth noting though that at 700-750 in that oven, the use of a screen does not compromise the end product what so ever.  Scott & Cass; do you agree?

Matt

I guess I agree,  I just feel like I would rather have the temp right and not have to use it.    Maybe its just superstition, and because I usually HATE pizza made on screens.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:49:54 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
Scott,

what make and model do you have.

thanks
mark

thank you everyone from all your imput

http://www.gourmetpizzaexpress.com/products.html

I have the infared version at the bottom that can do 18 inch pizzas.   

Offline Matthew

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
I guess I agree,  I just feel like I would rather have the temp right and not have to use it.    Maybe its just superstition, and because I HATE pizza made on screens.   

I do too but it's very hard when you have the top element radiating crazy heat on the bottom stone.   The stone temp can jump by 100 degrees in mere seconds.

Matt

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:39 PM »
really, ok, if your temp can move that fast then it sounds like you have a more powerful top element than I do.   If so I think you can get some real neapolitan pizzas out of that baby.     Have you tried letting the oven sit at about 825 top and bottom for a while, then cranking the top element all the way up as soon as the pie goes in?   If you have more power than I do you should be able to get an even bake and a 1-1.5 minute pizza with this method.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:43:15 PM by scott r »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:18 AM »
really, ok, if your temp can move that fast then it sounds like you have a more powerful top element than I do.   If so I think you can get some real neapolitan pizzas out of that baby.     Have you tried letting the oven sit at about 825 top and bottom for a while, then cranking the top element all the way up as soon as the pie goes in?   If you have more power than I do you should be able to get an even bake and a 1-1.5 minute pizza with this method.  

I have tried it & the results were okay but cannot be compared to the WFO.  If I didn't have a WFO, I would be ecstatic with the results; that's why I say just okay. I stock up my freezer with WFO Neapolitan pizza before winter & have enough to keep me going all winter when I get a craving.  Truth be told, I prefer the reheated WFO Neapolitans over a freshly made in this oven anytime.  The NY Elite/Coal style that comes out of this oven though is untouchable, A+ all the way.

Matt

Offline Cass

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
Of course.  It is worth noting though that at 700-750 in that oven, the use of a screen does not compromise the end product what so ever.  Scott & Cass; do you agree?
I agree.  The results using a screen in this oven are excellent, and nothing like using one in my regular oven.

The NY Elite/Coal style that comes out of this oven though is untouchable, A+ all the way.
I feel the same way. 

I also have a small WFO, but have not made any efforts in this oven for a Neapolitan pizza.
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
From these comments im thinking our ovens are similar as far as top heat goes.    Thanks for taking the time to respond, as its saving me from buying another brand of countertop oven.   

Offline PizzaPilot

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:20 PM »
I recently bought the Chinese Sage oven off of ebay.  the 34"x32" model.  Definitely not a standard kitchen counter top appliance. I opted for the larger model because  I wanted a little bit of extra room inside versus the smaller version.  My work around the 220v issue and not fitting on a counter top was to build a cart with castors and run a  220v line in the garage. This gave easy access to the panel and limited the amount of tearing into walls.  (the neighbors wonder why my garage smells so good  ;D) If you don't understand electricity and know your local codes I would definitely suggest hiring an electrician to do this. 
It takes a few bakes to narrow in on and get the temps were you want them.  This oven does get hot and keep climbing! the bottom temp requiring the most attention. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with the price and performance of this oven! It heats up quick and my GE oven in the kitchen is enjoying not being run at full throttle anymore. 

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:02 AM »
that is great... do you have any pictures of the setup or results?

Patrick

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but FYI I have been in contact with a seller on ebay that sells these chinese ovens from SAGE. He said he is expecting another shipment of them sometime in MAY. So if you're in the market for one of these, try ebay in a couple of months.

pizzapan