Author Topic: What woods can I burn in a WFO?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline Tman1

Re: What woods can I burn in a WFO?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
I would just start off with smaller amounts of wood so that you can gauge if it works for you. No need to buy $300 worth of wood if it burns too slow, or the pieces are too big, or whatever.  Seems like everyone else has given you enough to go on...

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »
Here's a TXT file I keep on my puter that I've used as a resource for smoking food. It can double as a guide to most woods that can be used for food prep, including a WFO.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online flyboy4ual

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
That was quick!  Thanks for all the information!

Scott D.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
After the embers have died, the residual heat makes the oven a perfect kiln.

Fill the oven up with the next days wood, and it will dry out any wood that is damp, or less than completely seasoned.
 I've not tried this with fresh cut green wood...but in theory....?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
After the embers have died, the residual heat makes the oven a perfect kiln.

Fill the oven up with the next days wood, and it will dry out any wood that is damp, or less than completely seasoned.
 I've not tried this with fresh cut green wood...but in theory....?

Dude - brilliant idea.  Especially once the the oven temp drops to a certain level say 200F or less???  Perfect for drying out some moist wood.

Chau

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
A good insulated oven will still be 200 degrees or so the next morning...

I usually wait 2-3 hours after I'm done cooking....just make sure no live embers

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 04:42:49 PM »
A good insulated oven will still be 200 degrees or so the next morning...

I usually wait 2-3 hours after I'm done cooking....just make sure no live embers

A well insulated oven depending on the temps it was fired at shouldn't drop the temps that much especially if you have an insulated door. Typical temp drop with a well insulated oven and door shouldn't be more than ~200F in a 24hr time span. There are other things like the temp of any given day but it wasn't more than around 200F drop.

Remeber to leave the door cracked a little bit so that the mositure can escape. I closed the door all the way the first time and when I pulled it off a stream of water came off the lip on the backside of the door.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Got wood ?
I use a good oak or hardwood. aged  2 yrs plus. I have a friend in the tree business who sets me up,  but shipping might be prohibitive to you !  I am lookng for apple as I have read smell is good. I used to get a 25 lb bag of chunked Hickory from Home depot and would throw in just 1 or 2 pieces , chunks as needed real hard and burned hot. This little electric spklitter kicks !@#$ Cant recall  craigs list, but think I paid $75? !
I use my underside of the oven also to keep it dry and its warm in there also after fire above. Its 2 deep so If i fill it good for about 6 firings min.
John

ps oven still 400 + next day so its ribs not wood I put in there  :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:01:32 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
John have you used a wood chipper before? I wanted to get one so I could use the chipped wood for a blast of top heat. The ones that I saw didn't look like they could chip a twig and was wondering if you or anyone else knows of any good cheap chippers.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »
A well insulated oven depending on the temps it was fired at shouldn't drop the temps that much especially if you have an insulated door.

I never measured the morning temps...I was just trying to point out that if he waits until it gets to 200 , it would be well into the next day.
I think he was fearful of setting the wood afire, instead of drying it out.
I never use my door, I figure that the convection air flow with the door open will help it dry.

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
John have you used a wood chipper before? I wanted to get one so I could use the chipped wood for a blast of top heat. The ones that I saw didn't look like they could chip a twig and was wondering if you or anyone else knows of any good cheap chippers.

in college, I worked for a tree company and like most other things in life, there are not shortcuts...cheap chippers dont work for squat...good chippers are pricey

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
I actually got the chipper (stole it) on craigs list too! before the splitter. I grabbed it because I have an acre  property and frequent twigs sticks all over. It was the 8 hp MTD for like $150 and I knew it sold for close to $800! Went there within 1 hr of listing picked it up guy had 25 calls for it. I tried 1 twig took a picture and sold it the next day for $325 in 1 hr  :P as mentioned what a piece of #$%^@ they just dont work. Gotta spend about $10,000 for a real one NOT. Never tried chips on fire. when I cut down longer longs I would use the last 2-3 inches for smaller chunks.
John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
in college, I worked for a tree company and like most other things in life, there are not shortcuts...cheap chippers dont work for squat...good chippers are pricey

I mean I don't need the rolls royce of chippers that are like $3000+ but I don't want a crappy one either. What do you think a decent one is? Do they rent wood chippers that would chip logs and big branches? Maybe I'd be better off renting one.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »
Yes you can get something that would work for a few 1000. But renting, yes That sounds better, just rent something split it with the neighbor and go to town nice pile in a few hrs time. If the chips don't work out you are only out 1 day rental.  The oven is so hot, if I do put handfull of the chips in from clean up they basically disintegrate. Thats why I use a nice little chunk actually burns for a while and licks the dome a bit  :P

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Chau, regarding chips: local suppliers (e.g. Santa Fe Firewood Co.) sell big bags of chips and small pieces for kindling. Make sure to ask for oak kindling since most of what they sell is piņon.

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:46 AM »
I mean I don't need the rolls royce of chippers that are like $3000+ but I don't want a crappy one either. What do you think a decent one is? Do they rent wood chippers that would chip logs and big branches? Maybe I'd be better off renting one.

you can rent larger ones at home depot or your local rental place for about 150 for 3 hours give or take.  You will need a truck or suv to tow it home.  They should be able to handle 8 inch logs....the big ones like I used could handle up to 14 inch logs - they weighed 6k to 7k pounds

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 12:14:19 AM »
you can build a manual splitter for under a grand that can handle massive logs.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline clwest

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »
Chau,

Living in Phoenix, I use Pecan and Mesquite as oak and others are pretty dang expensive.

It has been a while since I was in Albuquerque, but I remember seeing mesquite up there.  I would talk with some of the local tree trimming guys and see if you could work out a deal.  Many of them will keep wood at their yards for sale, personal use, etc.  You will then need to cut it to size with the tools mentioned.

Hope this helps!

CW

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
This does.  Thank you CW.  Which brings up the topic of lump charcoal.  Anyone burning this in their WFO?
Sams sells a 40lb bag of mesquite lump charcoal for $14 or so.  I wonder how many firings I could get from 1 bag.

Chau
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:20:08 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
JT,  I would not use charcoal,  that wood be outrageouesly expensive!  I doubt you would even get to temp on a bag. -marc