Author Topic: Pastene tomatoes?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline nick378311

Pastene tomatoes?
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
I was wondering if anyone prefers these, I heard they use them in a couple boston pizza places like santarpios. I like them, but have not tried 6-1.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Pastene tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
The santarpios sauce is pastene "kitchen ready", so I am assuming you are asking about that particular product.   They have many others, including some packed in Italy and some packed in California.   KR's are indeed california tomatoes.  They are amazing, but obviously wannabe 6 in 1's.    They remind me of a bad can of 6 in 1's, but are still great.     I get the feeling they are not quite as "fresh pack" as the 6 in 1, and they are of a thinner viscosity.    Don't forget....santarpios is cooking their sauce, so thinner can be good.      I was there the other day and the crust was truly horrible, but the sauce/cheese just amazing.   Im not usually a cooked sauce kind of guy, but theirs is really great.   Places like this scare me, though, as I worry they are using msg in the sauce or something :)
Its funny how they sneak past with the crust sometimes.   Stacks of bromated high gluten flour everywhere is sort of a bummer.     They told me they make a bunch of batches of dough a day, and its a pretty small place mixing 100lbs of flour at a time, so you know theres no long fermentation going on.    
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:37:41 PM by scott r »

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
I've used Pastene Kitchen Ready tomatoes several times with great results. 

Use what you like. Making yourself and your family happy with your sauce is what counts.  :chef:
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline nick378311

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »
Thanks! And yes I agree. I'd really like to try 6 in 1's because i've never heard a negative thing about them but i'd have to order them online because I can't find anywhere in florida that sells them. And I tried the pastenes the other day and they were delicious!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:29:49 PM »
tomato magic will get you there too.....  -marc

Offline nick378311

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:31:16 PM »
Mark, thank you, I've also heard alot of good things about magic tomatoes. I'd like to try them some day

Offline nick378311

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:31:30 PM »
*tomato magic

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:50:14 AM »
Pastene kitchen ready crushed tomatoes are a fine product, not the absolute best, but still a solid choice. Very reasonably price in my area (NY state's Capital district).

pizzapan