Author Topic: "bar pizza" too thick ... how do i make thinner ????  (Read 1132 times)

Offline ellsbells

"bar pizza" too thick ... how do i make thinner ????
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:08 PM »
Tonight I made "mini" bar pizzas for my family (because the reg. 10 inch was just too big  ;)   )  I followed the recipe by Pete for the 2 - 9 in. Greek pizzas and the dough came out OK.  When I put it in the pans it was thin.  I let it rest for about 2 hours in the pan, and they were still pretty thin.  When I baked them (500 deg for about 10 minutes) and sliced them the crusts were really thick and not crispy (although a nice crisp cheese on the edge ...  :-* )  What did I do wrong?  How do I get a less "puffy" crust???
thank you!     :chef: :pizza:

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: "bar pizza" too thick ... how do i make thinner ????
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
Depending on your pans you will probably still need to do a full 45 min (if not longer) preheat of a pizza stone, and put the pan on the hot stone.   Thats the way all the southern new england bar pizzerias do it, pan on hot stone, so you more than likely will need to mimic this procedure to get it just like them.     Maybe the tf is too thick for your recipe.   Just scale the recipe down slightly with our formula calculators off of the main page.   Good luck!  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:33:14 AM by scott r »

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:37:22 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »
that will work, but the crust will not be as light as what is being copied.     The pan rise does not need to be long, just a slight expansion.   The amount of time all depends on how much yeast is being used.  If its a decent amount of yeast like my local pizzerias use only an hour would be enough.   good luck everyone.   

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
I tried a 9" last with the same result as you ellsbells in my toaster oven. Nice edge but not crisp bottom, just didn't brown for me. Could be the toaster oven I use :-D Going to have another go tonight but I'm going to pull it out of the pan and set it on the steel plate to finish. My cheese got too brown too soon. Hmmmmmm. I enjoyed it none the less but a crisper bottom would be better.
Don

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
this makes sense.  You really need a hot preheated stone under the pan.   Another option for those of us with hidden bottom element ovens is putting the pan right on the bottom of the oven.   

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:12:37 AM »
don, flip your toaster upside down and install some brackets inside to keep the rack at the same level.  the double bottom element is designed to radiate a concentrated heat, but not a high heat like the top two seperated elements.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »
Igor!! In the name of science! No time to dally! We must return to the laboratory and perform this modification to the Electron Exciter Receptacle Device this fine fellow compl3x has kindly shared. Now the "monthly challenge" will be mine. Ha HA, Mine I tell you! All Mine!!!!

to be continued...

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
I made due tonight with my "welfare pizza" using some leftover chicken, leftover Coca Cola ketshup BBQ sauce(a test)onion, canned mushrooms and jalapeno with Asadero cheese. Yesterday's dough which was hand stretched then trimmed and placed in the 9" pan. Came out quite thin, maybe too thin but it was successful. Covered the top loosely with foil for 15 minutes then removed and finshed another five. I have a hard time calling this a bar pizza as I find them quite filling, but whatever.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
ellsbells, I made some new dough this morning that I will try this evening but I cut back the recipe by a 1/4C flour for two 9''s as I have been not using all the dough from recipe you mentioned, Peter's reply #31 on page 2 of the Greek pizza thread. Is that correct? I'll divide in half and then see how thick that will be baked. Hasta la tardes.
Don