Author Topic: Not sure where I belong  (Read 1090 times)

Offline GuzziJason

Not sure where I belong
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
Hi folks -

I'm having a hard time figuring out what "niche" here my pizzas belong in. Rather than aspiring to produce pizzas in a specific style, I've always just made them the way I like them, which generally means:

• Hand stretched dough (KABF, 65% hydration)
  • Puffy cornicione, well browned, crust bubbles welcomed here
  • Very thin, crunchy, crust, foldable but not droopy
  • Simple, but sometimes exotic toppings - I love a good margherita, but like to experiment with other flavor I like
  • Hi-temp bake - in my oven, I can usually get my indoor oven to 600+. When I'm outside on the BGE, I shoot for 700-750

In some ways, Neapolitan is my ideal, but I obviously deviate from the Neapolitan formula in many ways. I like NY style, but prefer crisp crust that doesn't droop. My toppings run the spectrum from California-types to traditional - depends on my mood.

So, where do you think I fall on the spectrum? I feel like a mutt that doesn't belong to any particular group  :-D

Attached a a few pics from yesterday's bake.
1. Scallop & bacon - sauce is a shallot/garlic/sherry/cream
2. Shot of the crust from a scallop slice
3. Mushroom - white pie w/shredded mozz, dollops of fresh goat cheese, sauteed shiitakes, minced garlic. After removing from oven -topped with arugula shaved Parmesan, and the ever-so-slightest hint of truffle oil.

Thanks,

__Jason

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Not sure where I belong
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
I really think the amount of heat dictates the style way more than a recipe.   In the 700 degree range I would say you are making NY coal oven style pizza, just without the coal oven!    I have had pizzas made with american flour that are definitely just like what I was served in Naples.   I have had pizzas made with 00 flour and a vpn recipe that are definitely not neapolitan!   One thing that surprised me while visiting Naples was that there was no crunch or crispyness to the pizza at all.   That is something you see more with a standard NY style pizza.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:16:01 PM by scott r »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:31:54 PM »
Welcome and Your pies look great!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »
Jason,

I don't know why you need to brand yourself with any particular style. I see elements of many styles in your pies. I'd say you have found your niche, and it is making darn fine pies. They look great, and the flavor combinations sound incredible.

I would say a great many of the pies posted here don't fit squarely into any one box, and we're probably all better for that. Case in point, I've made bacon wrapped scallops more times and more way than I can count. Have I ever thought about putting them on a pizza? No. Why? I don't know, but that is about to change thanks to your pie.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
Jason - they look awesome!  Do you sear or otherwise pre-cook your scallops before they go on the pizza?  Care to share the details of your scallop sauce? 

Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
Thanks all! Maybe I'll just hang out here in the "general" category for now.

As for the scallop/bacon pie, yes - I do precook both the scallops and the bacon slightly. I season the scallops (paprika, salt, pepper) and sear very quickly in a hot pan. Not trying to cook the scallops, just give them some color so they don't look pale on the finished pie. The bacon I cook for a bit, both to render out some of the unnecessary fat, and also to give the bacon a little more tooth in the end result.

The sauce is pretty simple (forgive the lack of measurements, but I generally just "wing it"):
Mince up some garlic, shallots
sautee briefly with a bit of olive oil
Add (1/4 cup?) dry white wine, and cook down until liquid is almost gone
Add (1 cup?) of heavy cream and simmer, stirring occasionally. Season with a bit of salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of thyme or other herbs. Cook down until thickened a bit. Keep in mind, it will cook further when baking.

The sauce is just me messing around - feel free to play with it if you try it - I'd be curious what other things are tried. For instance, I've considered making a bechemel type sauce, but I do fear it getting too thick on the finished pizza.

__Jason

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »
I'd eat that.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »
Jason,
You belong here with all of us Pizza addicts!

Those pizza you made are salivating!Nice work!
 :pizza:

-Bill

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »
So..... I tried your scallop and bacon the other night.   My friend is a scallop fisherman, lucky me!   anyhow, your pizza was amazing, thank you for that recipe!     

Offline new2dough

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:26:39 AM »
Hi folks -

I'm having a hard time figuring out what "niche" here my pizzas belong in. Rather than aspiring to produce pizzas in a specific style, I've always just made them the way I like them, which generally means:

• Hand stretched dough (KABF, 65% hydration)
  • Puffy cornicione, well browned, crust bubbles welcomed here
  • Very thin, crunchy, crust, foldable but not droopy
  • Simple, but sometimes exotic toppings - I love a good margherita, but like to experiment with other flavor I like
  • Hi-temp bake - in my oven, I can usually get my indoor oven to 600+. When I'm outside on the BGE, I shoot for 700-750

In some ways, Neapolitan is my ideal, but I obviously deviate from the Neapolitan formula in many ways. I like NY style, but prefer crisp crust that doesn't droop. My toppings run the spectrum from California-types to traditional - depends on my mood.

So, where do you think I fall on the spectrum? I feel like a mutt that doesn't belong to any particular group  :-D

Attached a a few pics from yesterday's bake.
1. Scallop & bacon - sauce is a shallot/garlic/sherry/cream
2. Shot of the crust from a scallop slice
3. Mushroom - white pie w/shredded mozz, dollops of fresh goat cheese, sauteed shiitakes, minced garlic. After removing from oven -topped with arugula shaved Parmesan, and the ever-so-slightest hint of truffle oil.

Thanks,

__Jason

Hi Jason, excellent looking pizzas! I love scallops on pizza, you're not alone. ^^
Scallops and tiger shrimps is a combo I often make nowadays.
Perhaps your niche is Californian style?

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
So..... I tried your scallop and bacon the other night.   My friend is a scallop fisherman, lucky me!   anyhow, your pizza was amazing, thank you for that recipe!     

A scallop fisherman.. how convenient! Sure is good to know people... LOL. Anyway, glad to hear the pizza turned out well for you - it's definitely a good way to change things up, and fairly simple to do too.

Cheers!

__Jason