Author Topic: Focaccia -> Sicilian  (Read 2021 times)

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
Focaccia -> Sicilian
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:32:40 AM »
I had such a good result with my attempt a the Pizza Quest Focaccia here http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/126-focaccia-dough-recipe-genoa-style.html that I decided to quadruple it.  I then decided to make most of it into pizza. 

I'm honestly not sure if it really qualify as Sicilian pizza, but since I have a little Sicilian blood in me I take the liberty of posting in this sub-forum.

Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Focaccia -> Sicilian
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:29 AM »
I had such a good result with my attempt a the Pizza Quest Focaccia here http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/126-focaccia-dough-recipe-genoa-style.html that I decided to quadruple it.  I then decided to make most of it into pizza. 

I'm honestly not sure if it really qualify as Sicilian pizza, but since I have a little Sicilian blood in me I take the liberty of posting in this sub-forum.

Tony

Tony,

Your Pizza Quest Focaccia pizzas turned out really looking good.  :) Did you need to put the wet doughs into the pans with a rubber scraper, like is said in the directions and give the doughs different proof times, after in the pan, as stated in the directions?  Was your focaccia light?  I have tried to make Focaccia different ways and am interested in your results.

You did a great job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
I did a bulk/overnight ferment in one container so I had to divide the dough on my board with my bench scraper to be even.  I tried hard to not compress the dough but I'm sure it was worse then if it was just one sheet pan of dough.  But really the dimpling they receive was probably no worse.

I'm not sure what you mean by different proof times.   The two pizza's got baked at about 2 hours of proof time and the last at over 3 hours.   I was making them and taking them over to a neighbor's for a party.

I thought they were very light, I tried to go very easy on the toppings so it would bake quickly and it was not much longer then the oil and rosemary focaccia I did.

Here is one from a few weeks ago, salt & rosemary

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:10:52 AM »
There was some confusion regarding the pan size in the recipe.
What size pan did you use?
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:44:22 AM »
In the directions for the Focaccia on Pizza Quest it says let the dough rest two times (20 minutes each time) while pressing in the pan to relax the gluten, then let the dough rise for two to three hrs. at room temperature (with the olive oil on the dough).  Sorry, if I wasn’t clear about what I meant by proof times.

Your salt and rosemary foccacia really looks good, too!  :) Thanks for posting that picture.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
I used two different sheet pans, 12x17 and 11.5x17.25 and used the roughly same amount of dough to within a few tenths of an ounce, both were fine.

Hope this helps!

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
Thanks Norma!

I did follow the 20min then 20 min but I think I added another dimple at 20 min again because it was still not stretched into the pan.   I also did a little tugging on a one or two to get them to the corners.   

2 hours of proofing in the pan covers a lot of rough handling!

pizzapan