Author Topic: Diabetes Friendly Pizza recipes  (Read 4125 times)

Offline mjwdoran

Diabetes Friendly Pizza recipes
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
Hi guys,

So I'm new to home pizza making, still learning a lot of things, but I thought I could ask for some general guidance from those who have been at this longer than me.  I'm attempting to learn and adapt pizza recipes with the specific goal of being able to make healthy pizza, appropriate for friends and family who are learning to live with diabetes. 

This means that I'm trying to figure out which dough recipes will adapt well to being made with whole wheat or multi-grain flour and topped with light amounts of cheese and lots of vegetables.  So far I've been mostly trying thin crust recipes, because I was guessing that those would be the most easy to adapt, but I thought I could get the opinions of some of you who may have tried something like this before.

So if you were going to make a whole wheat pizza, which recipe would you work with?

Thanks for the help,

Marcus

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Diabetes Friendly Pizza recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:36:21 AM »
Marcus - Welcome to the forum. A WW pizza is a bit more difficult to make than a white flour one, but not impossible. I have used this thread as a master reference for WW:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5682.0.html

It is a long one - just start with the recipe on the first page given by Villa Roma. The hydration is 100% there, but look at some other recipes in the thread for lower levels of water. High hydration can be difficult to work with if you have not done so in the past.

Let us know how things progress. You might want to post your responses directly in the thread referenced above.

John
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:38:33 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:53:44 AM »
Its my understanding that whole wheat or multi-grain flour still have a very high glycemic index, not much different than white flour. So, while WW or MG may provide more nutrients, they may not necessarily be better for diabetics trying to control their sugar. I think the only way to get the glycemic index of the crust down would be to pack it with more actual whole grains (as opposed to flour), or simply make the crust very thin.

With that said, I've not done alot of cooking for diabetics (some, but not alot - and no baked goods).

__Jason

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
Marcus, The pictures aren't very good but in the November Monthly Challenge I did some zucchini crusts using corn flour and have baked several since then that have turned out quite well. I'm not recommending them for all the time but they make a very nice change of pace.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12246.0.html
A google search will yield several sites for zucchini pizza dough but substitute corn flour for wheat. I would seek out low fat cheese and use it. Since my experiments with pizza that is topped all the way to the edge I find for that style of pizza I don't miss a bready rim so a thin and crispy WW crust would work quite well also. In addition to a healthy salad a thin and crispy can be a very satisfying. I am a proponent of low salt usage and suggest using basil, oregano and other herbs for seasoning instead.
Don

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
I'll chime in with, "moderation" :)

My wife has been Type 1 since she was a little kid and for the most part, she eats what she wants, just watches portion sizes closely for the "bad stuff."

Mark

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Agree with moderation also, removing HFCS from the diet is a good start also!