Author Topic: Opening a new place in Baltimore  (Read 10174 times)

Offline PizzaDiFiore

Re: Opening a new place in Baltimore
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
Investor secured, location secured!  Looking for more $$ and working on designing the site.  So Stoked! 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
How much capital does it take to open a pizza place?

Best of luck to you.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »
Depends on the space.  Does it need to be totally built out?  Does it already have a kitchen, ventilation, adequate restrooms, water, electricity, gas.  LOTS of variables.  For what I'm looking to do, it will cost about $200k-250 for the buildout.  That includes everything including exterior signage.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Howdy!  Did you ever get your pizzeria open in Baltimore?  I'd love to stop in.
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
Howdy!  Did you ever get your pizzeria open in Baltimore?  I'd love to stop in.

Unfortunately, no.  Ran into some complications, still working on it though.  Just taking longer than expected.  The original location I had picked was in a severe flood area, and floods a few times a year.  My investor is still in, but then we had some family issues that needed attention.  Scouting locations currently, thinking about the county now instead of Baltimore City, it's getting pretty saturated.  Do you have a place?

Terry

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
Depends on the space.  Does it need to be totally built out?  Does it already have a kitchen, ventilation, adequate restrooms, water, electricity, gas.  LOTS of variables.  For what I'm looking to do, it will cost about $200k-250 for the buildout.  That includes everything including exterior signage.
Hey Terry,
I hope you're able to find a location and soon be able to open up your own pizza restaurant. If you don't mind, could you please take a moment and explain how a lease works when one is doing the type of very expensive "buildout" you were facing with the property you were formerly contemplating. Thanks alot.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
Hey Terry,
I hope you're able to find a location and soon be able to open up your own pizza restaurant. If you don't mind, could you please take a moment and explain how a lease works when one is doing the type of very expensive "buildout" you were facing with the property you were formerly contemplating. Thanks alot.
Bob

Most developers/landlords want you to be successful.  They want your business to thrive, so they can have a guaranteed income and attract additional quality lessees.  In this case, many landlords (not all) will allow you to build-out/renovate your restaurant space rent free, as long as it's an agreed to amount of time.  Many landlords will also give you the first few months rent free to help compensate for the build out and until the word starts to spread. 

The developer I was working with was awesome.  Hands down, if I didn't back away from the location, I would have definitely been open by now.  He liked me, liked my ideas and my concept.  That isn't always true. The space I liked was an old warehouse.  It needed a complete buildout.  There was no plumbing, electric, or AC.  With a 7000+ square ft space, I was looking at a potential $150k build expense.  And the developer was willing to commit to another $100k in building improvement. Unfortunately, I wasn't as ready as I thought and decided to walk away.  I hope they can find someone for the location, I'm sure someone will eventually.

Offline slybarman

Re: Re: Opening a new place in Baltimore
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
Bob:

Landlords will often finance the build out (or a large portion of it) in the form of a tenant improvement allowance. The amount the landlord spends is essentially rolled into a higher rent amount over the term of the lease.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »
Hi Terry,

your project sounds great. I am in the Baltimore area and I have heard of couple of space opportunities. You mentioned in a earlier post a warehouse that was 7K ft, are you looking for something that big or you are flexible?

Let me know,

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
7000sqft is a bit much for our concept.  Ideally, looking for around 2500-3000.  Don't get me wrong, there are alot of locations out there.  Just looking for the right one.

T.

Offline Drivingrain

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »
Hi, good luck to you!  It's so hard to start a business these days...seriously, it takes a special person/team and even then....the chances of getting launched are small, let alone succeeding!

Anyway...how's it going? 

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 03:36:15 PM »
Hi, good luck to you!  It's so hard to start a business these days...seriously, it takes a special person/team and even then....the chances of getting launched are small, let alone succeeding!

Anyway...how's it going?

Life has kind of gotten in the way of my pizza ambitions, lol.  Some family medical issues have caused us to temporarily postpone our search for another location.  Unfortunately, we also lost our main investor because of this, but it will all come around in the end.  I own a couple of coffee shops already and I make pizzas once a week in one, so I get a little pizza fix!

Terry

pizzapan