Author Topic: Opening a new place in Baltimore  (Read 9903 times)

Offline PizzaDiFiore

Opening a new place in Baltimore
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »
Hey guys, wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Terry and my wife and I are working on opening a wood fired pizza place in Baltimore.  We're going for Neapolitan style with house made traditional and unique toppings.  We have a great location in an 1800's mill and are looking forward to the build out.  We currently own 2 coffee shops in Downtown Baltimore and I have recently owned a Diner.  Not a newbie to food service and restaurants, just pizza joints.  Been a home pizzaiolo for some time working on dough and other recipes.

We love pizza, we went to Italy for our honeymoon and visited Naples and Sorrento eating pizza every day!  I've been lurking for the past few months and I just attended Pizza Expo in Vegas 2 weeks ago.

Terry J.
Pizza di Fiore

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Opening a new place in Baltimore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »
Good Luck Terry!!
Please keep us posted story (Good and Bad and the Ugly) on you journey/process. build out , grand opening ... Have you selected an oven ? dough recipe?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »
Good Luck Terry!!
Please keep us posted story (Good and Bad and the Ugly) on you journey/process. build out , grand opening ... Have you selected an oven ? dough recipe?
John

Thanks, I've been working with a dough recipe at home that we absolutely love.  It's a naturally leavened dough using a starter I've been working for a while.  I'm trying to work out the management with the larger scale commercial operation, longer ferment and rise times etc...  The starter gives it a full-bodied taste with minimal sourness by using the starter young.

I'm looking at a couple of ovens, I like the Cirigliano Forni I saw at the Expo, and it helps that they are based out of Maryland as well.  I'm not 100% set, we're still working out the details.  

I worked at Carrabba's as a server and prep cook and worked their pizza station a few times.  They use WoodStone ovens.  I loved it, and it maintained consistent heat.  I really like the CF ovens as they evoke memories of the ovens I saw in Pompeii (brick interior).

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:46:18 PM by PizzaDiFiore »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
One of the best pies I've had came out of a CF.

If you don't mind me asking, what do they cost delivered?

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:54:21 PM »
Craig,  just posted in your thread.  I think you will be in much better shape with your choice.  I too have sat in front on TG's oven,  there was a lot of effort put into cooking the pizzas that night,  and it showed,  not in a good way.  With a great oven,  it should be effortless,  not strenuous.  I am glad you got a good one that night,  but the best are yet to come.  -marc

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
Terry J, congratulations!

Are you opening in Clipper Mill?

May I ask what type of planning and schematic details for the venting of the oven the city of Baltimore approved? 

After several conversations with them, they told me that coal and wood fired ovens are "discouraged" in Baltimore, but could be used if specific details were given on how the emissions from the oven would be vented away from surrounding residential areas (usually by having the venting higher than surrounding buildings).....with maybe even a prevailing wind study needing to be done by the Maryland Department of the Environment in some cases.

Baltimore has waited for far too long for Neapolitan pizzeria and I'm glad to hear you will be the first out of the gate (another chef in Baltimore is looking for spaces right now).

Good luck the rest of the way and best wishes on everything. :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
We're in the planning stages at this point.  Lots of verbal agreements and plans, but everything is still in its infancy.

Offline mente

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »
good luck! i am in a similar position in Southern Calif and I believe it is all about hiring a pizzailio for this type of product. i believe passion for the pie and hot ovens are key. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find one in LA and what type of pay do these guys require?
i was at the show too. CF are very nice ovens. this may be a bad way to look at ovens, especially when you don't have one yet, but it is kind of like having a conversation about Chevy vs Ford. it is all about your preference based on price, your personal experience and great forums like this one. some experiences will be great and other will not be so great. i kind of believe this with all the capital expenses that we are about to incur.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:31:20 PM by mente »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »
Mete- I am from southern california and have eaten at all the neapolitan places there (not that there are many). Where are you thinking to open your restaurant? Also I don't think finding a pizzaiolo and just having them run it is the way to go. Maybe I'm wrong. But most people on here spend years perfecting their pizzas and the art. Farming that part out just seems like a huge a risk and possibly impossible to do. Most famous guys are famous through their own places, Anthony Mangieri and Chris Bianco come to mind right off the top of my head. Once again maybe I'm wrong

Terry- Still waiting for some more updates!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
Lest we forget our man PF Taylor!
Make me an offer on this baby its a CF! I  think the guy went broke and never opened? I may put it on a trailer and or truck bed. Any thoughts if it could hold up to the rigors of the road. Not going 4 wheeling  :) I imagine they are built quite well.
John
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:47:45 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mente

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
Jeffery,
 i understand and agree about the art and perfection. I am coming from the place of growth. if we don't teach the youth of today then where will we be tomorrow. if someone wants to become great pizzaiolo that means that they have to open their own joint? what are the odds of that? spread the knowledge, and the passion will grow. you are not wrong with your statement, but who wants to be famous anyway?!?!?!

side note:
i am looking to buy a gas/wood oven if anyone does know of a good used one, let me know asap. i saw the Italians cook amazing pizza's in them at the Int'l Pizza show 2 weeks ago and frankly, i am not against gas and the option to use gas and wood.
thanks all

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
We're trying to figure out the whole Baltimore doesn't like WF Pizza thing right now.  Hopefully we'll have a solid answer soon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:50:05 PM »
I've been in DC for the last week. They certainly seem to like it here. I went to three places and all were packed. Reviews to come in the next couple days.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline NJPizzaiolo

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
Two Amy's is killing it and my friend Dino is opening Pizzeria Di marco any day now in DC.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »
Yes, we are opening Pizzeria DaMarco end of April in Bethesda, its been a long time coming.  I was in Fells Point in Baltimore a few days ago, and thought that would be a great place for a Neapolitan Pizza Joint.  BTW if anyone has any interest in learning to make pizza, we are hiring for a few spots!
-Rob

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
Yes, we are opening Pizzeria DaMarco end of April in Bethesda, its been a long time coming.  I was in Fells Point in Baltimore a few days ago, and thought that would be a great place for a Neapolitan Pizza Joint.  BTW if anyone has any interest in learning to make pizza, we are hiring for a few spots!
-Rob

Why did they end up getting a WoodStone? I thought they were supposed to get a Stefano Ferrara oven.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
We did get a Ferrara oven, should start a fire in it in the next day or 2

Offline othafa9

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
ok, I know what your refering to.  Your talking about the video of Dino?  That video was filmed somewhere in Seattle.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »
Baltimore is really picky about WFO's.  It's VERY difficult to get the approval.  They have a very sensitive nuisance policy and will shut you down easily if there are complaints because of smoke or smell.  I don't see what the major issue is.  CA has STRINGENT emission laws, and there are tons of WFO's there.  Trying to get through the approval process now.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
good luck brotha!