Author Topic: Opening a new place in Baltimore  (Read 8734 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Opening a new place in Baltimore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »
ok, I know what your refering to.  Your talking about the video of Dino?  That video was filmed somewhere in Seattle.

Thanks for clearing that up. Can we get some pictures of the oven... and maybe a video?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:49:31 PM »
Baltimore is really picky about WFO's.  It's VERY difficult to get the approval.  They have a very sensitive nuisance policy and will shut you down easily if there are complaints because of smoke or smell.  I don't see what the major issue is.  CA has STRINGENT emission laws, and there are tons of WFO's there.  Trying to get through the approval process now.

I wish you the best. The guy I bought the Acunto from sold it because he couldn't get a permit in San Francisco.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline othafa9

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »
Why couldn't he get a permit?  Their are Neapolitan ovens in SF....

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 08:26:39 PM »
In Baltimore, WFO's can't be "x" amount of yards from a residence. Even though there are thousands of wood burning fireplaces.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
In Baltimore, WFO's can't be "x" amount of yards from a residence. Even though there are thousands of wood burning fireplaces.

I figured out the reasoning behind this sometime ago.  Most people do not burn thier fireplaces in the summer when next door neighbors windows are open.  Yes they may have a bonfire one day a summer and that it tolerable,  but a pizza oven burning all day everyday is a different story.  Not to mention the intoxicating aromas that the neighboring homes have to deal with. -marc

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »
Why couldn't he get a permit?  Their are Neapolitan ovens in SF....

I don't know, and there are lots of things other people have that you can't go out and get a permit for.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
Craig,  I forgot to tell you.   I am 99.9% sure your Acunto oven almost ended up being the oven for the new venture in Nashua NH,  Crush Pizza.  Before it got sent here,  with drawings and everything,  the city would not put thier seal of approval on it.  -Marc

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 10:30:48 PM »
I really detest bureaucracy... even when it works out in my favor...

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 10:56:44 PM »
I really detest bureaucracy... even when it works out in my favor...

I can imagine...do any of you folks ever get a studied,detailed,straight,factual based answers of their rejection, in writing,if they turn down an oven you want to use?

Or do they simply vote no based on heresay?

-Bill

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »
studied, detailed, straight, factual based... not words I commonly associate with bureaucracy.

I think these sorts of decisions are generally political.

I have a friend who was just turned down for a liquor license. Dozens already in the same area. The locals simply didn't want any more issued. A few weeks ago, I visited with the owner of a winery that had to be built entirely underground because the locals didn't want to see another winery - a few years before, the same folks were clamoring for wineries to be built to help the local economy.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
Craig,
I was kidding around a little bit when I asked about a detailed report,but yeah you are right,those are words that never go hand in hand there.

That reminds me of a joke,I wanted to share here.
 :)

I met a good fairy today that said she would grant me one wish."I want to live forever," I said.

"Sorry," said the fairy, I'm not allowed to grant wishes like that!"

"Fine," I said, "then I want to die after Congress gets their heads out of their asses!"

"You crafty bastard," said the fairy.
 ;D
-Bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
Cute!! and  true!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jamester

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Hey guys, wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Terry and my wife and I are working on opening a wood fired pizza place in Baltimore.  We're going for Neapolitan style with house made traditional and unique toppings...

Hey Terry, just happened across this thread and will be following with great interest!  I'm in B-more and make pizza, right now as a hobby but with the thought/dream of opening a place myself someday in my area.

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to trying your pizza...

Offline RichPugh

• I'll bet you $1 I can get you to gamble today...
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »
Hey guys, wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Terry and my wife and I are working on opening a wood fired pizza place in Baltimore.  We're going for Neapolitan style with house made traditional and unique toppings. 

Hey Terry. I own a small Pizzeria Tavern right between Fells Point and Canton on Eastern Ave. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know... just lemme use your oven now and again if you get to move fwd with it ;) Woodberry Kitchen already has their oven. If youre in their area, you should be able to slide by. I hate ordinances haha

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
Hey Terry. I own a small Pizzeria Tavern right between Fells Point and Canton on Eastern Ave. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know... just lemme use your oven now and again if you get to move fwd with it ;) Woodberry Kitchen already has their oven. If youre in their area, you should be able to slide by. I hate ordinances haha

Thanks Rich, been to JRads, good pizza, even better atmosphere!  I'll keep you in mind, just trying to get everything in order before we proceed.  There's no sense to me if I can't get the WFO I want.  The city and state seem to be mostly concerned with the exhaust being a nuisance to the residents.  Fortunately, there really aren't any residents!

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 12:34:14 PM »
Thanks Rich, been to JRads, good pizza, even better atmosphere!  I'll keep you in mind, just trying to get everything in order before we proceed.  There's no sense to me if I can't get the WFO I want.  The city and state seem to be mostly concerned with the exhaust being a nuisance to the residents.  Fortunately, there really aren't any residents!

Maybe that didn't come out right.  I REALLY like your pizza!

T.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 12:29:37 PM »

That's not entirely true.

I spent a good amount of time dealing with this issue when constructing a business plan and considering opening a pizzeria in Baltimore.

One of the frustrating things is you may get more than one answer, depending on who you are talking to with the city.

The key issue isn't the proximity of the WFO itself to residential buildings, but the proximity of the venting exit point from residential areas (you may have meant this in your post). This is one reason why searching out a building that is taller, or at least as high as, any surrounding residential buildings would be beneficial (assuming you are opening a space in a more dense inner-city location where most buildings are connected). That way, you can increase the height of the venting out of the roof of the building and into an extension on top of the building....so, for example, the actual vent exit point where any smoke comes out could be 15 to 20 feet higher than the surrounding residential buildings.

This is where a prevailing wind study by the Maryland Department of the Environment may potentially be needed to prove that the prevailing wind is not a downdraft that would blow smoke from your high vent exit point downwards towards the residences.

Needless to say, this could require extensive venting/ductwork (length of ducting) which would obviously increase the all-in costs of installing a WFO in a space. Such a tall vent column could potentially cause issues with proper air/flow exhaust out of the oven.

There are obviously many configurations of venting and potential spaces to open a place in....some spaces maybe not needing as much legwork to get the go ahead for a WFO.

Good luck with your new pizzeria. Attention to detail with your plans and persistence in jumping through hoops will lead you to the WFO promised land, in due time. Best of luck! --K :)

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »
That's not entirely true.

I spent a good amount of time dealing with this issue when constructing a business plan and considering opening a pizzeria in Baltimore.

One of the frustrating things is you may get more than one answer, depending on who you are talking to with the city.

The key issue isn't the proximity of the WFO itself to residential buildings, but the proximity of the venting exit point from residential areas (you may have meant this in your post). This is one reason why searching out a building that is taller, or at least as high as, any surrounding residential buildings would be beneficial (assuming you are opening a space in a more dense inner-city location where most buildings are connected). That way, you can increase the height of the venting out of the roof of the building and into an extension on top of the building....so, for example, the actual vent exit point where any smoke comes out could be 15 to 20 feet higher than the surrounding residential buildings.

This is where a prevailing wind study by the Maryland Department of the Environment may potentially be needed to prove that the prevailing wind is not a downdraft that would blow smoke from your high vent exit point downwards towards the residences.

Needless to say, this could require extensive venting/ductwork (length of ducting) which would obviously increase the all-in costs of installing a WFO in a space. Such a tall vent column could potentially cause issues with proper air/flow exhaust out of the oven.

There are obviously many configurations of venting and potential spaces to open a place in....some spaces maybe not needing as much legwork to get the go ahead for a WFO.

Good luck with your new pizzeria. Attention to detail with your plans and persistence in jumping through hoops will lead you to the WFO promised land, in due time. Best of luck! --K :)

Still working on it.  Have a good plan to make this happen.  Hopefully it works out.  I'll fill everyone in when if and when I get my approval.

T.

Offline PizzaDiFiore

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
Looks like we have the go ahead from the City and State!  It's been a difficult few weeks, back and forth, back and forth!  But I truly believe we're on our way to wood fired goodness in Baltimore!  Now, funding and design!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »
Looks like we have the go ahead from the City and State!  It's been a difficult few weeks, back and forth, back and forth!  But I truly believe we're on our way to wood fired goodness in Baltimore!  Now, funding and design!

Great news T!

Glad to see you saw it through. Good for you.

Please keep us posted on your progress when you get a chance. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan