Author Topic: New Mixer- Hate my KA  (Read 1195 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

New Mixer- Hate my KA
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
So I have a really old KA mixer and it's great for cookies or whatever, but I don't really make cookies. Plus the KA sounds really bad right now and makes weird noises, I assume it's because I've tried to make too large of batches of dough (I have the smaller size). I also hate how the dough just gets stuck on the mixer and just spins and doesn't knead the dough. Oh I also hate how small the batches need to be for it to not get really angry at me.

So I would like some suggestions for a new mixer. Is bosch the clear alternative?

I would like it to be able to plug into a US home without needing 220v, and be able to be on my counter. I also don't want to spend 4 digits. I mostly use it for pizzas, and sometimes breads.

If you do think I should just get a bosch, which package would you get? (I don't have a food processor so maybe getting one in a package would save me money?)

Thanks

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: New Mixer- Hate my KA
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
How much dough do you like to make at one time?

I was going to buy the Bosch,but instead bought a 50 dollar Oster bread machine for now.It makes/kneads dough very well plus can make breads as well.

The reason I bought it,I don't make a lot of dough at once.The BM makes enough for 2 lbs of dough,and I usually make one dough ball(16-18 inch sized dough amounts) at a time.I have no doubt from the forums expertise,the Bosch is an incredible machine.If I ever decide to start making large batches,I will get one of those.

But for now,I can knead enough dough for one or two dough balls at a time if needed,in 30 minutes.Now if only I can lose some of the weight I gained,just as fast!
 :-D

-Bill

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
LOL I know about the weight. But I want to be able to make larger batches, sometimes I make pizzas for around a dozen people. So like 10- 10 ounces pizzas is just over 6 lbs of dough. But sometimes I do make small batches of only 30 ounces of dough.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »
Jeff,
I'm assuming you read Chau's topic on the Bosch? If not here is the link.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11962.0.html

For the amounts you make,a Bread machine is def. too small for your usage.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.That Bosch does look dang good though.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
This year I moved, from a long time with the KA, to the Electrolux DLX Assistent N28.

I still use the KA for meat grinding and pasta making, but with the DLX, the KA don't know my dough no mo'....

Highly recommended. $600 all over the web.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
My new Bosch arrived yesterday and I've mixed though not baked 2 loaves of French Bread and my wife did a loaf of Strawberry bread.  I'll post a report after my first pizza but my initial impression is very positive.  DW was amazed at how quickly her bread came together with the cookie paddles and the dough hook made short work of my pretty wet dough.  (24oz flour + 16oz water). Similar dough made our 15 year old KA struggle and walk across the counter.

We're going away for a week so my first pizza won't be for 10 days or so but I'll be sure to present my findings.

Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
Hey thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep it coming.

Dave- I'm interested to see your results and thoughts.

Jeff