Author Topic: Vegetarian Sausage & Pepperoni Deep Dish... in a toaster oven  (Read 1084 times)

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
Made a tasty deep dish last night with veggie sausage and pepperoni. I hope to get a full size oven soon, but in the meantime it is toaster oven deep dish pies. I used Loowaters Malnati recipe and Polly-O mozzy, which is about all I can get around here. I was going to use the gimme lean sausage as someone else did in the forum but opted for the Morningstar Farms Italian Sausage, which worked great.The pepperoni was Smart Deli thin veggie pepperoni. The pizza was a success. I took a couple of pics since I am still learning on the toaster oven deep dish. The slice pic has a big ol string of cheese that just got out of hand. Although the pie may have looked like a big ol mess.. it sure tasted good.

buceriasdon

Re: Vegetarian Sausage & Pepperoni Deep Dish... in a toaster oven
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
Looks good to me ;D
Don

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
The morning star will work in your favor as there is next to 0 grams of fat coming out of them just like the extra lean sausage that Lou's use.

But tell me, was the pepperoni also vegetarian?

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »
Mick, yes the pepperoni was also vegetarian and of the vegetarian pepperoni, it is my favorite brand, Smart Deli. I must say though that the sausage had the more dominant flavor, which was fine for me. Since I am a vegetarian I have to work with whats available. Unfortunately Bocca discontinued their sausage products. I will probably try the "Match" meats in a pizza somewhere down the line. They are pretty good in texture etc, and are some of the best vegetarian meats, but you can only get them from the Match website as I believe they are still a food service product. For this reason it is something I rarely have on hand. All the Match products are patties that can be shaped, molded, chunked etc into just about anything which makes them very flexible in cooking. Meat substitutes have come A LONG way since the early 80's when I stopped eating meat. I am just thankful that there are products out there that allow vegetarians to make kick ass chicago style pies...smile. I wish Malnati's or someone else would offer that....maybe someone does. Do you know of any chicago joints that offer that? I wish The Chicago Diner made a deep dish pie...smile. I know there are pepperoni guys out there and sausage guys, that feel that a pizza isn't a pizza if it doesn't have ,say, pepperoni on there. Even when I ate meat I was always a cheese pizza guy.Not only is it my fave but I always felt that if a joint couldn't make a good cheese pizza, they couldn't make a pizza period.I guess It's a good thing that I was a cheese guy and not a pepperoni guy... although I have never had great success as a vegan... can't quit the cheese...but if they ever get a decent cheese substitute, and I've tried em all, I will surely use it....but that ain't happenin' any time soon. I just wish I could find deli cheese other that Boars Head.... All the places around here that sold Stella switched to Boars Head...bummer. Polly-O is about the best I have found at the grocery, ,here in Nashville anyway.

pizzapan