Author Topic: Shaping and final proofing  (Read 1178 times)

Offline ScottG

Shaping and final proofing
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
I’ve been making pizza for our weekly family pizza night for the past few months…then I found this site only to realize how much I didn’t know.  (I am getting the terminology down.)

I think I have started understanding bakers percentages (I was going to say it seems like alchemy… but it kind of is....transmuting flour to golden pizza crust.)

I am using a basic Lehmann crust

Flour 100%  (18.7oz) Water 62% (11.6oz) IDY .7% (.5 teaspoon) Salt 4% (1.5 teaspoon) Oil 3% (1 teaspoon)

After kneading my dough I ball it; I place it in tupperware then put it into the refrigerator for a couple of days to cold ferment.

On pizza night, the dough is warmed up to room temperature (2 hours or so).

I shape the pizza. I press the pizza dough until I have about a 12” dough then I hand toss the pizza. (I am not very good at it yet… but the kids think it is pretty cool.)

Next I place it on a semolina dusted peel and dress the pizza.

It feels like I should let the dough proof for another 30 min or so between shaping and cooking…but when I do… then the pizza will stick to the peel.

Granted…I am still learning a lot of technique but it seems like once the pizza (skin?) hits this peel the clock is ticking and the longer you wait the harder it is to get off of the peel.

Do I need to let the crust rise again after shaping? If so, should I do it on the peel? If so… is there some trick to getting it off the peel (like getting better at “microshakes”)?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Shaping and final proofing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:02:38 AM »
lately i've been using hogsdon mill whole weat flour as a stretching flour, mixed 50/50 with AP flour.    it seems to do a better job of sticking to the dough and preventing it from sticking elsewhere.    might give it a try, but i would suggest posting pictures of your process so we can visually inspect
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:05:42 AM »
I personally don't let the dough rest a second time after shaping. If I find the dough is too inelastic to shape I will give it more time and then come back. But for the most part, shape top, and pop in the oven.

If you want to wait you could
A) Use more flour
B) Don't just let it set, keep shaking it every couple of minutes to keep it lose.
C) leave it on the counter till your ready then slide it onto the peel.

Jeff

Offline GuzziJason

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
I get the pizza into the oven as quickly as possible after it hits the peel. The longer it sits on the peel, the more likely it is to stick.

However, rather than going right to the fridge after kneading, I let my dough rise the first time at room temperature at that point. Rise for an hour or so to double, then punch down, divide, and then the individual balls go into the fridge.

__Jason

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »
However, rather than going right to the fridge after kneading, I let my dough rise the first time at room temperature at that point. Rise for an hour or so to double, then punch down, divide, and then the individual balls go into the fridge.

Jason,

That isn't necessarily the best way to handle all doughs. There are certain doughs that should go immediately into the refrigerator after forming, based on the amount of yeast used, the finished dough temperature and the intended period of cold fermentation.

Peter

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
Jason,

That isn't necessarily the best way to handle all doughs. There are certain doughs that should go immediately into the refrigerator after forming, based on the amount of yeast used, the finished dough temperature and the intended period of cold fermentation.

Peter

It seems to me like the original poster is concerned with between shaping and baking, not kneading and shaping.

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
I open and shape then flip the skin over onto the peel and top. I wouldn't advise letting the dough sit after stretching out. I learned this trick here on the forum, keep some dental floss nearby and just before loading the pizza pull a length under the pizza on the peel to unstick it. I don't use much flour when I open and this has saved my bacon more than a few times. Good luck and have fun. Oh, I use rice flour on my peel as semolina is impossible to find here.
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:15:44 PM »
It seems to me like the original poster is concerned with between shaping and baking, not kneading and shaping.

I noted that but assumed that Jason used his particular dough preparation method to improve final shaping. I didn't want the statement about dough preparation to stand as applicable to all doughs.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »
Scott,

Have you ever heard of the Super Peel? If not,read this link I'm adding here below.I use it all the time now,never have to worry about the dough or crust sticking again.

I'm still somewhat newbie and don't have a lot of experience using a standard peel and with a limited size stone in a home oven,I needed something that can help me get my crust onto there,on target,every time.

The Super peel works great for me.Just wanted to share...the other thing I love about it,I don't have to use extra flour,semolina,etc on the bottom either,that sometimes,by rookie mistakes,be too much and ruin the taste of the crust on the bottom when it cooks.I have done that before myself.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12120.0.html
-Bill

pizzapan