Author Topic: Fresh Mozzarella Tips?  (Read 1281 times)

Offline mmac06

Fresh Mozzarella Tips?
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
I'll be making a couple of 11" pies in a few days with HG flour. I usually use low moisture mozzarella (probably about 4oz. per pizza), but will be using fresh mozzarella this time. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for how (and how not) to use it on my pizza. For toppings I'll be using tomato sauce, sliced tomato, bell pepper, sauteed mushrooms, and a few dollops of carrot puree (a suggestion I came across in the book American Pie).
How much mozz. should I use? How to slice/shred it? Where to place the cheese on the pizza? How do you know when it's cooked (i.e. should you look for browning as with low-moisture?)? Any other tips? I will also sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on the pizzas.

Thanks!

Offline joiseystud

Re: Fresh Mozzarella Tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
Make sure to squeeze the fresh mozz between a couple paper towels to reduce the moisture content to avoid puddles in your pie.

Also another tip for toppings... most toppings should be precooked before putting them on your pie.  Cooking time is short for the so you cant depend on cooking toppings this way.  An example is I make a buffallo chicken pizza.  Precook chicken breast fillets (I use tyson frozen because they're fast and I like them), then I put hot sauce and finish with cheese. Same idea with meatballs or sausage.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 06:45:26 AM »
Another thing I would say is to be light on the amounts of toppings.  Fight the temptation to pile toppings high.  Usually in pizza making less is more.  You can have a bunch of different toppings, just dont use so much of each.  Even if you are doing a plain cheese pizza, you dont need  much cheese.

Offline kjlued

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
I personally like a little heavy on toppings but to each there own.

I cold smoke my fresh mozzarella which is really simple and cheap to do and gives it a unique taste.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
Hey mmac06

Sounds like a wet-topping pizza...  I would agree with making the toppings light... and it depends on the "Style" of pie you are going after.

Fresh mozz is very high-moisture....  there's a lot of milk still inside.  Tomato, bells and mushrooms... have a lot of water and produce it when cooked on pie.

I would guesstimate 4-6 oz of fresh mozz would be acceptable.

I'd love to see pics of the outcome.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
I use a hand held, it's all I can get here in Mexico, wire cheese slicer for wet cheeses. I don't see why the kind with a arm with a wire wouldn't work also. I allow the pieces to dry on paper towels also.
Don

pizzapan