Author Topic: What am I making (style wise)?  (Read 917 times)

Offline Tman1

What am I making (style wise)?
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
I'm fairly new to the pizza thing, and made a temporary brick oven last fall. We had a few pizza parties and the pizza's tasted great. HOWEVER, I wasn't very specific to recipes and taste/flavor/crumb at the time. I didn't use a scale, and wasn't flour specific. Now that I've had some time to taste different WFO pizza's, I've become more aware of what I'm eating.

The best pizza I can remember (recently) was one I had at Ladusio's in Boulder, CO just about a month ago. On the very first bite, I thought I was eating a nice bread with some excellent toppings (it was a margherita). It was awesome, made better by the fact it was only $5 (Happy Hour prices).

I'm curious about the style of pizza I've been making. We used a popular recipe found online and all liked the crust. (Of course I was dealing with people who buy their pizza, and most likely never make their own dough, so anything might have been good to them!) By weighing the ingredients now, working backwards, and some guesstimating (we always got 4 dough balls), this is what I came up with in REAL pizza lingo   :chef:
Flour (100%):
Water (42%):
ADY (1.5%):
Salt (.9%):
Olive Oil (2.5%):
Honey (1.25%):
Total (148.15%):
Single Ball:
566.43 g  |  19.98 oz | 1.25 lbs
237.9 g  |  8.39 oz | 0.52 lbs
8.5 g | 0.3 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.25 tsp | 0.75 tbsp
5.1 g | 0.18 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.06 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
14.16 g | 0.5 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.15 tsp | 1.05 tbsp
7.08 g | 0.25 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.01 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
839.16 g | 29.6 oz | 1.85 lbs | TF = N/A
209.79 g | 7.4 oz | 0.46 lbs

The hydration seems really, really low compared to what I've been reading/seeing in threads. I should note my skills at forming round pizza's are not good (more like footballs).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:43:54 AM by Tman1 »

Offline Tman1

Re: What am I making (style wise)?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
I  guess I could add that we did a combination of fermentations too. Sometimes we just made the dough and used it (90-120 minutes later), or we made it and stuck it in the fridge and used it next day. I can't say that I paid much attention to differing tastes between the two methods... again, I just thought it was way better than store bought and kitchen oven made... as did everyone else (or so they said).  :)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
Im sure that pizza is great, but you might have an easier time stretching out dough with a higher hydration.    Typically a dough like this would be considered a thin and crispy type of dough.  This dough is almost never hand stretched, and is meant to be used with a dough sheeter.   Also, the salt level looks really low.    You might want to try something more like 2% salt and 60% water and see how you like it (I go up to 2.8% salt myself).     It will probably be close to what you had in CO.    Good luck!

Offline Tman1

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
Now that you mention it, it did tear easily. A couple, more patient people were able to stretch it, but most had a hole of some sort. After baking in the temporary WFO, the crust would easily stand up when cut into slices, whether that was a factor of the dough or just not stretching the pie bug enough, I don't know. I never viewed that as a problem. I don't like my pizza falling. I measured our plates and I would guess we had 8-10" pies typically (we did a make and bake type scenario and each person was on their own for stretching and topping).

Offline Tman1

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
This is a Wolgang Puck recipe, but as I look around the web, I find many variations.. mostly in salt and oil. 

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:43:10 AM »
Is this close to the recipe?
http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/recipes/view/56793/All-Purpose-Pizza-Dough
I don't this recipe is right either.
Don

This is a Wolgang Puck recipe, but as I look around the web, I find many variations.. mostly in salt and oil. 

Offline Tman1

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »
That's close, but not exact.

1 packet yeast
1 cup warm water
1 t. honey
1 T. EVOO
3 cups AP flour
1 t. table salt

(I used those measurements to get weight, then started plugging it into the dough calculator.)

After initial mixing, let stand for 30-60 minutes. Divide into 4 dough balls, and let rest again, 30-60 minutes.

That's basically it.

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
Tman, thanks, that link I posted had way to much water. A stronger protein flour would also help with tearing problems as would reducing the yeast, yours is a same day dough, and cold fermenting. American style.
Don