Author Topic: Super high oven temperature...has anyone tried this technique?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Crusty

• It's all about CRUST
I am trying to get my gas oven to go higher than 500F.  So here is my plan.

1. Preheat stone on second rack for 1 hour at 500F (which is the max setting for my oven)
2. Switch on  the broiler for say 10 minutes since the broiler pumps out 1500F
3. Turn off broiler
4. Wait a few minutes
5. Slide in the pie and see what happens.

In a quick experiment this evening I got the oven thermometer up to 500F and then switched on the broiler and in less than one minute the  oven thermometer was up to 600F.

My concern is that there may be too much residual heat left over on the broiler that will put too much heat on the top of my pie.

Has anyone tried this?   Any thoughts?

Crusty

Offline BradLovesPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Super high oven temperature...has anyone tried this technique?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 10:52:27 PM »
I'll try it if you will  ;D

Actually I tried a more limited experiment with this already based on someone else's suggestion on here. Preheated the oven to 550 (that's how high mine goes), then kicked on the broiler for about 2 minutes, then back to 550 before putting the pie in. Pizza turned out nice. I used a screen instead of a stone though.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 11:09:32 PM »
I do this all the time with my stone. I set it on 500 or broil for an hour at least, then put it down to 500 or 475. A thin crust should cook in 6 minutes or less. I've had wood burning oven pizza and it takes as much time or LESS. I don't think it would work with anything thick ,though.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 12:28:31 AM »
littlebuddypizza,

When you use your broiler element to heat the oven and stone, on which oven rack position do you put the stone? I assume your broiler element is at the top of the oven. Is that correct?

Peter
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:30:08 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 08:23:35 AM »
My oven is standard(?) gas---the broiler is at the bottom. With this type of heat though, you absolutely cannot put anything cold or frozen on it. It will shatter like no tomorrow.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 11:20:32 AM »
I have tried this (my broiler is in the top of my oven) and it didn't work worth a sh*t.   :-\    I forgot what temp it dropped down to but it wasn't good. (http://tinyurl.com/bjgoa)
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."