Author Topic: 2AMYS  (Read 4036 times)

Offline TXCraig1

2AMYS
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »
The family and I spent last week in DC doing the tourist thing, and the first place we made a point to visit was 2AMYS. We got there Saturday, 3/12, around 6pm, and the place was hopping. We hung out at the wine bar while waiting for a table giving us a chance to unwind with a little vino and try some of the small plates such as the goat bocconcine w/ fig jam, the burrata di bufala, and a selection of cured meats. The cheeses were nice as were the sliced meats Ė though I thought the meats were a little overpriced given the portion size.

The wait didnít turn out to be too long, and before we knew it, we were seated. Starting out with the mixed greens w/ lemon, red wine vinegar, and olive oil proved to be a good choice. Next, we ordered a couple Margheritas, a Vongole (the promised cockles turned out to be Manila clams), and a Norcia. When the pies arrived, the only thing going through my mind was ummm, these look pretty tasty. Unfortunately, my first impression ended up being the high point of the meal.

They served the pies uncut (and didnít offer to cut them) which turned out to be more problematic than you might otherwise expect. The crust was very tough, so tough in fact that it was difficult to cut with the steak knife they give you. Even the thinnest part of the curst was difficult to cut, and the thicker parts of the crust were gummy. When cutting through the cornice, unless you gently sawed back and forth through it, it would just squish it into a sticky mass.  Bite into it and tug, and you were likely to pull a tooth out of your head.  OK, it wasnít quite that bad, but it was without a doubt the toughest, gummiest crust I have at a big name place Ė if not anywhere for that matter. The flavor of the crust was OK, but it was really difficult to get past the chew.

The sauce on the Margherita was typical of what you would expect with a respectable flavor, and the buffalo mozzarella is always appreciated.  Maybe it could have been drained a little more as the center of the pie was so wet and sloppy, there was simply no way to cut it without all of the topping sliding off leaving the bottom crust like a lonely wet noodle.

The Norcia had a nice combination of flavors Ė the salami, in particular, was excellent. Though, like the Margherita, this pie was very tough and wet and nearly impossible to cut without making a mess.

The Vongole, was salty to the point of being hard to eat. It is definitely a pie for beer and not red wine. Iím very tolerant of salt; I donít know how someone who isnít would have eaten it. Also, Iím not a big fan of putting inedible things on top of a pie Ė like clam shells Ė but since they only put seven of them on the pie it wasnít much to avoidÖ

I didnít have an opportunity to time a pie, but as I was leaving, I must say I was a little surprised (and impressed) to see that they had at least nine pies baking in the oven at one time, though I had to wonder if stacking them in like cord wood wasnít part of the problem.

Bottom line: Nice place with friendly service and reasonable prices overall, but the pies were a disappointment. I wanted to go back and give them a second chance later in the week, but my family refused they were so underwhelmed the first time.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: 2AMYS
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
Menus
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
I live in NC and have Orioles tix (vs NY) for Saturday night, 4/23 and while driving to and from Baltimore on I95 Saturday and Sunday, my daughter and I were going to try to hit one or more of 2AMYS, Pupatella, and Pizzeria Orso.

I was looking forward to 2AMYS...but, now...ehhh.... :-\

and with Edan McQuaid just leaving Pizzeria Orso, Geebus!
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
I hope you go. I would like to know if my visit was an anomaly.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
I hope you go. I would like to know if my visit was an anomaly.

Craig

Craig, for what it's worth I have been to 2Amys five times now over the past four years or so.

I wouldn't call your visit an anomaly, but the amount of chew you are describing in the crust is at the bottom extreme of what I have experienced there...having been served pies with a pretty damned gummy crust on one occasion.

The pizzas here can be good, but I have never been served a pizza which gave me any "wow" factor...although I have had pies which I thought "this is good", but not like "holy eff I would travel great distances to eat this". 

Now it may be my tastes have evolved over time as I have eaten at more Neapolitan pizzerias over the years (as a direct result of more joints opening in recent times) as well as the ongoing improvements with my own home made pizzas improve (still a long way to go), but my first trip here was better than subsequent visits.

2Amys can and does make a good pizza, but is clearly not in the league of someplace like Keste, Motorino, UPN, etc.

I think as many of us strive to make the best home made pizzas possible, we are more and more likely to be disappointed by retail pizzerias that, while good, are either not putting out a product as good as what we are making at home or it's not to the point where it blows one away. At least that's kind of where I am. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »
Pizza looks small, and also undercooked. Seems the pizza could have used another 15 seconds. That's one uninviting crumb shot IMO, maybe some like that. I mean I love gooey, salmonella bearing, undercooked chocolate chip cookies  that I almost have to eat with a spoon, but not my pizza. After all that though, I would still probably go and try it lol!

Jeff

Offline shango

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
it's a 12 1/2" plate, most likely you are looking at a 10" pizza. 
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
I live in DC and have never tried 2Amys, but I do LOVE Sorriso, which is right in front of the Cleveland Park metro on the Red line:

http://www.sorrisoristorante.net/

If you want more of a bar atmosphere, I like the pizza at Cleveland Park Bar and Grill which is kitty-corner to Sorriso, a block up on the same avenue:

http://www.cpbargrill.com/index.php

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
Nice write up Craig.  Pies look very nice with a puffy cornicione and leoparding.  Too bad the texture was off though and they were too chewy. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
Thanks, Chau. You can tell from the crumb shot just how wet and gummy the cornice was. It's a shame. The have the tools to make a top-tier product. My guess is that they have lost focus on quality and are really only trying to keep their head above water with the volume.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shango

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:15 PM »
I think that they have shifted the focus to the small plates and antipasti.  The wine bar chef is very talented.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline plainslicer

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
2Amy's leaves a lot to be desired as far as consistency is concerned. I'm with Pizzablogger in that I'm no longer wowed by their pizza, but it really seems like a lot of people here on the forum who have tried it somehow end up going on an off night. I was actually there this past Friday and had a very nice crust, not excessively puffy with no gum line at all. In the past I've had a few that were overdone and crispy and a few that were underdone like what Craig described.

It's not in the same league as UPN, Motorino, etc., but I think it's much better than the average Neapolitan place and better than any other place in the District. Red Rocks is about tied but out of the way for me.

In any case, the flavor of the "Two Amy's" (called that on the menu) with just fresh (cow) mozzarella, sauce and olive oil, no basil, is very well balanced and a definite favorite of mine. I actually think it's a notch above the Margherita and a few bucks cheaper, too.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
2Amy's leaves a lot to be desired as far as consistency is concerned. I'm with Pizzablogger in that I'm no longer wowed by their pizza, but it really seems like a lot of people here on the forum who have tried it somehow end up going on an off night. I was actually there this past Friday and had a very nice crust, not excessively puffy with no gum line at all.

It sounds like your pleasant visit Friday might have been the "off night" with lackluster piesbeing the rule rather than the exception. The pies we had did not have a "gum line" either. They were just plain gummy - or the gum line was an inch thick - you choose.

The one obvious difference I see between the 2AMYS pies and the top-tier places I've been to is that I never saw any of them try to cook more than three or maybe four pies at a time - let alone nine.

If this place could get back some consistency on the quality, from a value perspective, it would be tough to beat.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
The volume at 2Amys is indeed very heavy, with the downstairs perennially packed at nearly all times and the room upstairs with people in it as well. I think that is a significant challenge to a Neapolitan joint with as much seating capacity as that to get pies out in a timely fashion while also maintaining quality. Certainly no easy task and definitely not something us home pizza makers need to worry about.

Some of the larger places (in terms of seating capacity) in Napoli have more than one pizza oven, which allows for the pizzas to come out timely and in high quality (assuming caring people on the sticks). Although we've all seen videos of fornaios in Napoli cooking 5-6 pizzas all at the same time and they all come out looking delicious. Long-tenured talent is a definite advantage to such a place. --K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 10:34:32 PM »
If they can't handle the volume while producing a quality product, the solution is simple - take out some tables. That they don't suggests to me that they really don't care much about quality.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline NJPizzaiolo

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
If they can't handle the volume while producing a quality product, the solution is simple - take out some tables. That they don't suggests to me that they really don't care much about quality.

You hit it right on,I have a neapolitan pizzeria and we seat about 55,so we can control what we put in the oven and handle a crowd,and when we are full they wait.Can Never compromise quality.It also works for Bianco.

Offline soflnoles

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
I have always thought 2Amy's was a little overrated.  Good quality for DC but not a top-tier joint.  Mia's in Bethesda is a good but doesn't have the "wow" factor either;.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
I have always thought 2Amy's was a little overrated.  Good quality for DC but not a top-tier joint.  Mia's in Bethesda is a good but doesn't have the "wow" factor either;.

Mia's is a different style of pizza to be sure, but I agree with you.

Pizzeria Da Marco in Bethesda, set to open this month (around the 28th) looks potentally promising. Dino Santonicolla as the pizzaiolo and the sous chef there worked at Settebello in Las Vegas. Ferrara oven too.

Pupatella is my favorite among the pizzerias I've tried in the DC area....I would argue maybe my favorite I've tried south of New York City. --K

Offline soflnoles

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
Mia's is a different style of pizza to be sure, but I agree with you.

Pizzeria Da Marco in Bethesda, set to open this month (around the 28th) looks potentally promising. Dino Santonicolla as the pizzaiolo and the sous chef there worked at Settebello in Las Vegas. Ferrara oven too.

Pupatella is my favorite among the pizzerias I've tried in the DC area....I would argue maybe my favorite I've tried south of New York City. --K

Will have to try Pizzeria Da Marco when it opens.  Thanks for the heads-up. 

Offline PUPATELLA

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »
Thanks for the shout out --K, why didn't you say hi, we didn't even know you stopped by!!  We love Pizzablogger!!

Will have to try Pizzeria Da Marco when it opens.  Thanks for the heads-up. 
You don't have to wait till Da Marco opens to try a real Neapolitan pizza, come by Pupatella!!!