Author Topic: Heading to Chicago in a couple weeks, must visit pizza joint?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Smith1026

I'll have one night in Chicago (4/6). Where should I go for the best experience? I will be staying in the northwest area.  For those selecting "other" please elaborate in a post ;).

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
Re: Heading to Chicago in a couple weeks, must visit pizza joint?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
Sadly, I was not impressed with any of the ones you listed, Uno's was nothing short of horrible IMO.

If you can do the drive to Milwaukee and I can recommend many excellent places, Mama DeMarinis on the corner of Wentworth & Potter is at the top of my list, Zaffiros on Brady & Farwell, Maria's on 51st & Forest Home, Pizzeria Piccolo on 76th & state (<<Neapolitan) and even the lowly 'Ned's Pizza on 27th st. is better than any pie I have ever had anywhere in and around Chicago from 1991-1999 when I worked down there.

The least disgusting of the ones you listed is Gino's east. Tons of people love Malnati's, but it was more like a lasgana without pasta instead of pizza, Giordano's is another stuffed pie if you like that sort of thing.
I believe there are some Neapolitan places open these days, but I do not know the names of them, and with the cheap undocumented workers that inhabit most all the restaurants in that town, it is difficult to find anything spectacular in the way of pizza.

Racine WI is closer than Milwaukee, and Infusino's is worth the trip.

Seriously, it was equal distance for me to travel to Milwaukee or Chicago, and I chose Milwaukee every time I wanted good food. There is a reason people from WI are overweight! WI especially Milwaukee has some of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at compared to other states and cities I have been to.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
Actually, go to Due's (doo-ays). Same as Uno's but this is far better---don't know why. Very tight squeeze everywhere in the place, so if you are over 250, sit at the bar.

Offline NJPizzaiolo

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Spacca Napoli!!

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Yeow.  Sorry, but some -- in my estimation -- are giving some peculiar suggestions here . . . to say the least -- regarding recommendations for "Chicago" pizza.  The poster is coming in for "one night in Chicago."  Now Milwaukee has some great thin crust pizzas, and when visiting Milwaukee one should go to them, BUT only when in Milwaukee.  When visiting Chicago, however, which IMO has some of the best thin crust and Chicago Style deep dish pizzas in the world, I would think the "normal" response of many would include going to some of the classic Chicago pizzerias.  Why in the world would one recommend, when asked about Chicago pizza, to "jump up to Milwaukee? ? ?"  That is a total "puzzlement" to me.

And the suggestion about Spacca Napoli is a good one IF you want a style of pizza that is popular -- in this day and age -- in almost EVERY major metropolitan area in the U.S. (i.e., Neapolitan style).  You can almost get that style and quality pizza almost anywhere.  Spacca Napoli and many of its genre is decent, BUT it is far, far, far away from classic Chicago thin or deep dish pizzas.  That's all I'm saying.  So what is a good recommendation for one wanting to experience good "Chicago pizza?"

A previous recommendation that I made for one visiting the Chicago area was at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8295.msg72764.html#msg72764 .
However, for a "one night stand" for one staying around O'Hare airport in the northwest side of the metro area, it is impractical -- I think -- to expect one to run around the huge metro area (with its crazy traffic pattern) to all the "great spots."  The best thing to do -- bar none IMO -- is to cab it to the Lou Malnati's "Elk Grove Village" location near the airport on Old Higgins Rd.  That restaurant was the second in the Malnati group, is very old, and many (maybe even me) think it is the best of the Malnati pizzerias.  In the NW area that I am guessing that the poster will be in, this is the best suggestion IMHO.  Another in the NW area would be Malnati's in Buffalo Grove. 

I can suggest dozens of other great places for pizza, but is it practical to do so?

--BTB

Edit  --  sadly I didn't notice how old the posting was.  Hope Smith1026 had a good visit and let's us know what the experience was.  Of the three deep dish pizzerias mentioned, I think they are all good, with my preference being in this order for Malnati's, original Uno's, and Gino's East. But all very good.

Am sorry my response wasn't more timely.  Would suggest the posting in the Chicago Style thread as so many don't get into some of the chit-chat or shop talk threads.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
Yeow.  Sorry, but some -- in my estimation -- are giving some peculiar suggestions here . . . to say the least -- regarding recommendations for "Chicago" pizza.  The poster is coming in for "one night in Chicago."  Now Milwaukee has some great thin crust pizzas, and when visiting Milwaukee one should go to them, BUT only when in Milwaukee.  When visiting Chicago, however, which IMO has some of the best thin crust and Chicago Style deep dish pizzas in the world, I would think the "normal" response of many would include going to some of the classic Chicago pizzerias.  Why in the world would one recommend, when asked about Chicago pizza, to "jump up to Milwaukee? ? ?"  That is a total "puzzlement" to me.

And the suggestion about Spacca Napoli is a good one IF you want a style of pizza that is popular -- in this day and age -- in almost EVERY major metropolitan area in the U.S. (i.e., Neapolitan style).  You can almost get that style and quality pizza almost anywhere.  Spacca Napoli and many of its genre is decent, BUT it is far, far, far away from classic Chicago thin or deep dish pizzas.  That's all I'm saying.  So what is a good recommendation for one wanting to experience good "Chicago pizza?"

A previous recommendation that I made for one visiting the Chicago area was at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8295.msg72764.html#msg72764 .
However, for a "one night stand" for one staying around O'Hare airport in the northwest side of the metro area, it is impractical -- I think -- to expect one to run around the huge metro area (with its crazy traffic pattern) to all the "great spots."  The best thing to do -- bar none IMO -- is to cab it to the Lou Malnati's "Elk Grove Village" location near the airport on Old Higgins Rd.  That restaurant was the second in the Malnati group, is very old, and many (maybe even me) think it is the best of the Malnati pizzerias.  In the NW area that I am guessing that the poster will be in, this is the best suggestion IMHO.  Another in the NW area would be Malnati's in Buffalo Grove. 

I can suggest dozens of other great places for pizza, but is it practical to do so?

--BTB

Edit  --  sadly I didn't notice how old the posting was.  Hope Smith1026 had a good visit and let's us know what the experience was.  Of the three deep dish pizzerias mentioned, I think they are all good, with my preference being in this order for Malnati's, original Uno's, and Gino's East. But all very good.

Am sorry my response wasn't more timely.  Would suggest the posting in the Chicago Style thread as so many don't get into some of the chit-chat or shop talk threads.

My recommendation was based on the types of pizza joints he had listed in his poll. Otherwise, we could go on and on for weeks about the best place for Chicago pizza (and it ain't on the North side for sure). :)

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
I was in chicago a few days ago and had wonderful pizza at a little place called Bricks.  Very impressive flavor.  Pretty thin crust that I believe was rolled out, and although its not normally my cup of tea, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

pizzapan