Author Topic: Watercress Pesto & Tomato & Green Peppers  (Read 899 times)

Offline Lou Dog

Watercress Pesto & Tomato & Green Peppers
« on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »
Greetings Fellow Pizza Connoisseurs,

Being that it's March and the month of St. Pattys Day and also when fresh, green watercress comes up in full bloom in a local stream.  I went and picked a ton and decided to experiment with some deep dish.  I blended the watercress with cilantro, extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, salt & pepper until it became a pesto.  I prepared the quick rise dough for a 15" pan with:

1 packet of ADY
7 oz. warm water
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Semolina Flour
1 TB olive oil
5 TB corn oil
1 TB melted butter
1/2 t seasoned salt

After mixing, I let it rise for a couple hours & punched it down and let it rise again for another couple hours before pressing into an oiled pan.  I brushed more melted butter and layered 1.18 lbs (what the deli lady gave me!) of Stella mozzarella.  At this point, a light bulb went off & I got to thinkin about Pequods and their burnt cheese crust.  So as part of the experiment, I tucked cheese behind the back crust on half the pizza.  Then I spooned on some pesto, layed down sliced tomatoes & green peppers and feta cheese and grated pecorino romano and tossed it into a preheated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, gave it a 180 turn and finished it for another 15 minutes.  I do enjoy experimenting with my pizzas and I really enjoyed the garlicy/peppery bite that the watercress pesto brought, but I did miss a full tomato sauce.  The tomato slices helped, but not quite the same.  Still, the feta was a tasty, different addition and I could see using it in a Greek style deep dish in the future.  Oh, and the Pequods-style crust was a success--I'd do that again on a full one.  Here are the pics:

buceriasdon

Re: Watercress Pesto & Tomato & Green Peppers
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:21 AM »
Looks very good!  :D I'm a big pesto fan myself. Sadly here in where I live in Mexico I never seen watercress or I would give it a go.
Don