Author Topic: New Formula advice  (Read 6379 times)

Offline forzaroma

Re: New Formula advice
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
Ok after a long night I finally am finished. The results of the flavor of the dough were probab;y my best ones so far. The cornicione was good but still can be a little better especially after cutting into the dough. My best dough was the ones where I bulk fermented and then balled the following morning.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
The rest.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2011, 10:48:49 PM »
Mike, I'm glad the pies turned out well for you.  Nice job.  Hopefully you have some ideas and a method to work off of.  

As far as my pies went, I made 4.  2 were ~48 hour CF doughs, 1 HG, 1 80/20 blend of 00/hg.  I then made 2 other 24 hour RT pies: 1 hg and 1 80/20 blend as well.  The HG pies were the better ones tonight.  I was trying some new fold methods with the 00 pies and didn't develop the gluten enough.  

Anyways, here is a picture of the doughball that I posted earlier.  This is what it looked like with another 3 hours at room temps of 75F, so a total of 6hrs of RT proof after CF.  

This pie was one of the better ones tonight.  

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2011, 07:43:28 AM »
Your pie looks great. Did you like the cf or the rt dough better? I think I have the flavor I want now I need to work on getting a better puff in my crust. I want my cornicione puffy and light> I'm pretty good with shaping my skins I am wondering if the fermentation process and oven heat have to do with that. To cook these pies I had the broiler method going but didn't get the heat as high as I wanted.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 09:12:41 AM »
Thanks Mike.  For this paricular bake the crust of the night was the 24h RT HG pie, BUT that's not to say that it's better in general.   I have made really good pies with both methods. 

To get the crust that you are describing, especially consistently takes a lot of factors coming together just right.  It's the coming together of texture, flavor, & look.  To get there is a big balancing act of getting a great dough and a proper bake.   Whenever you are able to make a really  great pizza, pay close attention to what the dough looked like and how it behaved when opening.   The bake time needs to also match (or be balanced) with your hydration ratio.  The bake time needs to be long enough to drive out just enough moisture but not too much.  Temp needs to be hot enough to give us the proper lift and crust coloration. 

Mike FWIW, look towards a 3-4 minute bake to get the crust you are looking for not a sub 2 minute broiler method pie.  I found this out after many many experiments. 

Good luck,
Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
Well what I noticed the ones that I reballed after 24 hour cold ferment were tougher to open and the ones that I bulk fermented and then balled the following morning were the best as in easy to open puff and open crumb

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
Well what I noticed the ones that I reballed after 24 hour cold ferment were tougher to open and the ones that I bulk fermented and then balled the following morning were the best as in easy to open puff and open crumb

Mike, I'm not surprised at all.  That's what I figured after seeing the pics of that particular dough.  Had I seen the dough before hand I wouldn't have had you reball those 2 balls, or maybe just one just to see and learn from.  You can see first hand how balling dough before cold ferment AND after cold ferment can really strengthen the gluten.  Not necessarily a bad thing per se.  It depends more on the relative strength of the flour, hydration rate, and kneading that you did prior.  If this had been a 00 dough, that extra folding would have likely helped rather than harm.  IF you are paying attention to dough strength, the more dough you make, the more you will become familiar with what dough should look like and feel like.  You can then make those decisions on when to add more strength to the dough versus when not to and how to go about doing it.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
[quote author=Jackie Tran link=topic=13352.msg132632#msg132632

Mike FWIW, look towards a 3-4 minute bake to get the crust you are looking for not a sub 2 minute broiler method pie.  I found this out after many many experiments. 

Good luck,
Chau
[/quote]

Interesting now I am wondering if I just use my oven at 550 should I be adding oil to my dough to help with coloration?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
Mike, I'm not sure how much of a role oil plays in coloration of the crust.  From what I understand, members usually mix in about 1-2% sugar to help with crust coloration while using oil for it's tenderizing effects on the crumb and questionable flavor profile. 

If you are interested in a 3-4min bake, you can still use a modified broiler method.  Just move the stone further away from the top broiler so that it is more like 8-10" away to extend the bake time.  You'll have to do some testing to see what works best for you.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »
Well I came to this conclusion: if I do 100% 00 i will do broiler method or cleaning cycle method all other flour mixtures I do broiler method and try adding sugar for color but this will be  a constant trial and error adventure.

pizzapan