Author Topic: New Formula advice  (Read 5976 times)

Offline forzaroma

Re: New Formula advice
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
Well what I noticed the ones that I reballed after 24 hour cold ferment were tougher to open and the ones that I bulk fermented and then balled the following morning were the best as in easy to open puff and open crumb

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2011, 11:27:21 AM »
Well what I noticed the ones that I reballed after 24 hour cold ferment were tougher to open and the ones that I bulk fermented and then balled the following morning were the best as in easy to open puff and open crumb

Mike, I'm not surprised at all.  That's what I figured after seeing the pics of that particular dough.  Had I seen the dough before hand I wouldn't have had you reball those 2 balls, or maybe just one just to see and learn from.  You can see first hand how balling dough before cold ferment AND after cold ferment can really strengthen the gluten.  Not necessarily a bad thing per se.  It depends more on the relative strength of the flour, hydration rate, and kneading that you did prior.  If this had been a 00 dough, that extra folding would have likely helped rather than harm.  IF you are paying attention to dough strength, the more dough you make, the more you will become familiar with what dough should look like and feel like.  You can then make those decisions on when to add more strength to the dough versus when not to and how to go about doing it.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
[quote author=Jackie Tran link=topic=13352.msg132632#msg132632

Mike FWIW, look towards a 3-4 minute bake to get the crust you are looking for not a sub 2 minute broiler method pie.  I found this out after many many experiments. 

Good luck,
Chau
[/quote]

Interesting now I am wondering if I just use my oven at 550 should I be adding oil to my dough to help with coloration?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
Mike, I'm not sure how much of a role oil plays in coloration of the crust.  From what I understand, members usually mix in about 1-2% sugar to help with crust coloration while using oil for it's tenderizing effects on the crumb and questionable flavor profile. 

If you are interested in a 3-4min bake, you can still use a modified broiler method.  Just move the stone further away from the top broiler so that it is more like 8-10" away to extend the bake time.  You'll have to do some testing to see what works best for you.

Chau

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »
Well I came to this conclusion: if I do 100% 00 i will do broiler method or cleaning cycle method all other flour mixtures I do broiler method and try adding sugar for color but this will be  a constant trial and error adventure.