Author Topic: Manhattan/Brooklyn Pizza Tour  (Read 4782 times)

Offline pie eye

Manhattan/Brooklyn Pizza Tour
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
Hello all! First post here. Going on a self guided trip in April and plan on eating pizza for lunch and dinner for 6 days. Never hit any of the biggies in Manhattan or Brooklyn, but this trip is for eating pie, traveling (mapping out in detail now) to the places, and seeing whatever else we can squeeze in. The focus is pie. I'm probably setting myself up for an overwhelming amount of opinions, but here is a list of where we are going to try to hit. Keep in mind, I'm aware some of these places are shells of their former selves, but some of them you still have at least duck into, right?

Manhattan:

Lombardi's
Joe's
John's
Patsy's
Luzzo's
Una Pizzeria Napoletana
Artichoke Basille's (?)

Brooklyn:

Totonno's
Grimaldi's
DiFara
Franny's
Lucali
L&B (not my style, but think I gotta go)

Might not be back anytime soon, so if anyone's got some institutions or "new standards" we just have to make it to, chime in. More interested in coal fired, New York (ish) style than Naples VPN- sort of stuff. Cheers and thanks all!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Manhattan/Brooklyn Pizza Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
Hello all! First post here. Going on a self guided trip in April and plan on eating pizza for lunch and dinner for 6 days. Never hit any of the biggies in Manhattan or Brooklyn, but this trip is for eating pie, traveling (mapping out in detail now) to the places, and seeing whatever else we can squeeze in. The focus is pie. I'm probably setting myself up for an overwhelming amount of opinions, but here is a list of where we are going to try to hit. Keep in mind, I'm aware some of these places are shells of their former selves, but some of them you still have at least duck into, right?

Manhattan:

Lombardi's
Joe's
John's
Patsy's
Luzzo's
Una Pizzeria Napoletana
Artichoke Basille's (?)

Brooklyn:

Totonno's
Grimaldi's
DiFara
Franny's
Lucali

Might not be back anytime soon, so if anyone's got some institutions or "new standards" we just have to make it to, chime in. More interested in coal fired, New York (ish) style than Naples VPN- sort of stuff. Cheers and thanks all!

pie eye,

I donít know if you are interested or not, but I had asked for suggestions for a one day visit in NY at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.0.html.  Many members did give me help on pizza places to visit.  I couldnít visit many places in one day though.

You will have a better chance of visiting more pizzerias.  :) I hope you will report back on your visit.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pie eye

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
Norma,

Much appreciated! I'm checking out your recap and pics now! May have to add Keste to the list. Never heard of it before. I will definitely give a recap. It will surely be overload, but all I can do is hope I catch places on a good day. Won't be hard to enjoy ourselves, that I'm very sure of!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
Norma,

Much appreciated! I'm checking out your recap and pics now! May have to add Keste to the list. Never heard of it before. I will definitely give a recap. It will surely be overload, but all I can do is hope I catch places on a good day. Won't be hard to enjoy ourselves, that I'm very sure of!

pie eye,

I havenít been to any other commercial pizzerias that make WFO pizzas but Kesteís.  Kesteís is rated up there in the top 10.  The taste of the dressings is great in my opinion.

You will have a great time tasting all those pizzas in NY.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »
Una Pizza Napoletana is no longer in NY and moved to San Francisco. However it is now the home of Motorinos which is very good and like 10 seconds walking distance from Luzzos, when I went to NY those were the two places I ate. 4 Of us split a pie at luzzos, walked to Motorinos then split another 2 pies.

Jeff

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
In Manahattan, there's also John's Pizzeria at 260 W 44th St and Totonno's, in the upper East side. 1544 2nd Ave between 80th & 81st St. Visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and stroll a few blocks to Totonno's
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
@PieEye

You have some solid places listed there. Sorry in advance for the massive spontaneous dump I am about to take, but in a rush. So many places in NYC, but hopefully this can give you some various ideas for pizza, drinks and lunch.  Let us know if you discover some place new...I am always ready to try something new when in NYC. HAVE  A GREAT TIME!  ;D

---

Regarding the "original Big 5" coal oven pizza joints; Lombardi's, Totonno's, John's, Patsy's and Grimaldi's....I highly recommend that you only visit the main locations of those establishments. Not only for the historical significance, but in my experience the quality of the pizzas are better at those locations. Lombardi's has one location, visit Totonno's in Coney Island (the best of the 5 I would argue), John's on Bleeker Street and Grimaldi's under the Brooklyn Bridge. Although Patsy Grimaldi is no longer involved in the Brooklyn venture...you'd have to go to Grimaldi's in Hoboken, New Jersey to visit one he is still involved with.

You mentioned visiting Luzzo's. If you go to Luzzo's, you are very close to several places worthy of a stop. Definitely hit Motorino, which is literally a stone's throw from there. Artichoke Basille's is only a couple minutes walk from Luzzo's. The margherita slice is good at Artichoke, but the sicilian is even better...one of the best square slices I've had in NYC. Even closer to Luzzo's and Motorino is South Brooklyn Pizza (1st Avenue b/t St Marks and 7th). If you are weary of walking and the day is nice, fresh German beers and an outdoor table can be had at Zum Schneider over on Avenue C (http://www.zumschneider.com/index.htm).

I also second Norma's recommendation to visit Keste in the West Village, being that John's of Bleeker and Joe's are on the same street (and Keste is directly across from John's). I know you wanted more coal-fired pies, but Keste is a must visit if you are in the neighborhood.

When you visit Lombardy's you will be only two blocks from Ray's Pizza on Prince Street. As decent a NYC street-slice as can be found in the city these days.

If you venture for some reason into Hell's Kitchen, which is very close to the Theater District, Sacco Pizza is your place to go for a classic NYC street slice.

April can be a damned fine time to visit NYC...the first warm days of the year. If that is the case, a trip to L&B Spumoni gardens is a must...if you are going all the way to Totonno's, L&B is close t it. Make sure to get a Spumoni ice when there. Outdoor eating!

Since you prefer a more New York-Neapolitan style (which is what the coal oven joints more or less offer), I would recommend Toby's Public House in Brooklyn. Like Lucali, their pies are New York-Neapolitan styled, just cooked in a wood fired oven as opposed to coal. Even more so I would recommend Best Pizza, on Havemeyer Street, in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Williamsburg. Both the regular, the white (caramelized onions with sesame seeds) and Sicilian are all quite good.

Not far from Best Pizza are Roberta's in Flatbush (nice outdoor area as well) which serves wood fired pizzas and Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, which like Roberta's has a very nice space, wood fired oven and offers very good pizzas with some of the most inventive toppings combinations available (in a good way, not in the "gourmet pizza" style of too many ingredients strewn on a pizza). In addition, some of the best chocolate I've tried is being made not far from Best Pizza, at Mast Brothers Chocolate (http://www.mastbrotherschocolate.com/), which is very serious business indeed....conveniently right next to Mast Brothers is the Radegast Hall & Biergarten (http://www.radegasthall.com/), which has very good food, good beer selection and a biergarten (outdoor eating and drinking on a fine day are hard to beat!). Also in Williamsburgh is Fette Sau (http://www.fettesaubbq.com/), which serves some of the finest BBQ you are likely tyo eat.

If you do go to Paulie Gee's, make sure to stop by Brouwerij Lane (http://brouwerijlane.com/) for a quick pint of one of a rotating selection of excellent beers (typically from Belgium or German and including good American micros as well). It's three doors from P Gee's.

If you are in Brooklyn in the morning and want a good brunch, Diner (http://dinernyc.com/) and Egg (http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/egg/) are very solid bets...always have had excellent brunches there. Diner serves great dinner too.Get to Diner or Egg before noon or you will wait a good bit. Just behind Diner is Marlow & Sons. If excellent oysters are appealing, hit this place up.

Finally, if the weather is nice, Astoria, Queens is very close to Brooklyn. Sac's Place serves coal oven pizza there. Get a pie and then venture over to the Bohemian National Hall (http://www.bohemiannationalhall.com/) to drink beers in the outdoor beer garden there. A throwback to olden days when different nationalities had social clubs (Czech in this case), this place is a gem in NYC.

Sorry for the rambling. Report back when you are done, sir. Have fun!  :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:33:50 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pie eye

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:53:34 AM »
Pizzablogger,

You are the man (or very well could be a woman!)! Thanks so much for all the info! I am just in the beginning stages of trying to plot this undertaking- i.e. really get it on paper. To maximize this trip, I need to have it pretty well mapped out. We're staying in Brooklyn and taking the subway/taxis from there. To do this, we literally need to eat pizza a minimum a 2x per day and it's one of the biggest cities in the world that I have no prior idea of how the hell to get anywhere! I've got subway maps and street maps. You have already helped me get an even better idea of how close some of the stuff is (relatively anyway).
I've known about Scott's Pizza Tours for awhile and we may do that for part of a day- 3 places, $30- not really bad. Especially because you can hit some places for just a slice and save time and money by not having to get a whole pie. I do think, however, that to really judge some of the places fairly, a whole pie must be experienced. I want the freshest example, you know. Anyway, thanks so much and I will get back to the forum on my travels. We're getting fried chicken and seeing music at the Brooklyn Bowl too. Supposed to be a pretty killer place!

Offline pie eye

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:05:08 AM »
Pizzablogger,

BTW, thanks for including recommendations for some great beer destinations! Beer is my other favorite on this earth. Will hit up as many of those as I can. We all thank you in advance.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »
 here is a beer pizza combo made in heaven. hit kestes on bleaker for neapolitan pizza then one block up is the blind tiger rated as one of the top craft beer bars in the world. this is my routine any time i visit the city.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:33 AM »
 pizzablogger , i tried south Brooklyn pizza for the first time on my last visit,it was a great slice. the next day i had them deliver a whole pie to the apartment i was staying at. the delivery person asks to come in to cut the pizza it was hilarious. really good pizza.

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
There are 2 Motorinos right? If so is one better than the other because i am thinking of either Keste Motorino or robertas as my next stop.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »
the manhattan location has better potential for giving you the perfect pie.   This is due solely to the oven, which the owner has admitted is much more forgiving of  a pizza that has been cooked a little too long.  At these temps, 20 seconds too much or too little can screw things up, so it has more of a security blanket built in due to its extremely even bake.  The brooklyn location has a tendency to bake the bottom of the pie a little faster than the top, but with the right attention to the oven a great pizza can be made at both locations.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:07:12 AM by scott r »

Offline DannyG

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
This thread intrigued me so I started a map on Community Walk. I plugged in a number of places mentioned in thread, but not all. If I set it up correctly anyone can add or edit it. (I've never done this before so hopefully it will work.)
http://www.communitywalk.com/nyc_pizza/nyc_pizza/map/1023194

Have fun and let me know how it goes.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »
Blind Tiger in the West Village is indeed a killer beer spot.....forgot to mention it. D'oh. Duvel Green on tap = yes!!!!

If you have a smartphone, two apps that are very helpful for NYC Trips are as follows:

NYC Bus & Subway Maps by episode6 - great free app with detailed map of entire subway system, bus system and above ground maps.

HopStop - estimated (usually very accurate) station to station travel times based on time of day you are travelling.

Finally, get a mini notepad and write down which direction the North-South avenues in Manhattan run (generally they are one way). For most of Manhattan, it's like remembering a Mortal Kombat video combination as follows (did I remember it correctly?):

1st Ave = Uptown
2nd Ave = Downtown
3rd Ave = Uptown
4th Ave = Uptown
Broadway = Downtown
5th Ave = Downtown
6th Ave (Ave of Americas) = Uptown
7th Ave = Downtown
8th Ave = Uptown
9th Ave = Downtown
10th Avenue = Uptown

It is invaluable to come out of a subway station, get a bearing of what avenue you are on, look at which way the cars are going and know this info...it helps you to orient direction in a jiffy.

Finally, I highly recommend going to google maps and make sure to look at various street level views and jot down visual landmarks to help guide you on your way.

--K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 01:36:58 AM »
PizzaBlogger

That was a beautiful guided tour of NY.  I feel full and buzzed just reading it.

You can be sure I will printout that entry my next time in NYC.

AZ

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »

Manhattan:

Lombardi's
Joe's
John's
Patsy's
Luzzo's
Una Pizzeria Napoletana
Artichoke Basille's (?)

Brooklyn:

Totonno's
Grimaldi's
DiFara
Franny's
Lucali

How about hitting Deninos in Staten Island and Johnny's in Mt. Vernon, NY.  Since your already in the area both of these are worth the trip.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
How about hitting Deninos in Staten Island and Johnny's in Mt. Vernon, NY.  Since your already in the area both of these are worth the trip.

Also how about adding Bleeker street pizza in Manhattan?

Offline DannyG

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 08:40:56 AM »
The map has been growing. 17 locations now marked.

http://www.communitywalk.com/nyc_pizza/map/1023194

Offline forzaroma

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
If you put Robertas I think you would have to put Paulie gee's

pizzapan