Author Topic: My metal pizza stand is finally being built!  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: My metal pizza stand is finally being built!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
dikemiya, beatiful oven and tile work.    About you being unlucky, I said something similar in my build thread as 2 of my floor tiles from FB have long hairline cracks with just curing.   They are sending me new tiles which is great.   But the extra time and having them switched out is a PITA.   FB is great for the customer service but if you are going with FB, it sounds like you can expect more issues than other manfacturers. 

John, you fireboard seems strong and beefy!  What brand is that?  Are you sourcing it separately from the oven or is it all packaged together. 

Chau

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
The one on the left is what I used, and received from FB a few years back.
It worked very, very well.
Interesting material.
You can break it off with your hand, yet it never compressed even with the entire weight of my oven on it.
The one on the right must  be what they are using now.
I'm of the opinion that the layers of insulation  under my oven account for the even baking.
I may be wrong, but I was told you can't have too thick a bed underneath.
I'd recommend at least a 2" layer under any oven.

Perry

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

Well I hope I am not taking a gamble and ordered a Forno Bravo Premio2G 100  today.   I went to the Forno Bravo Expo saw the oven, talked to James and decided on this oven.  I am hoping I don't have issues like Chau did.  Besides my metal stand design was based on this exact oven.  I also think that if I do have issues that FB will step up to the plate and fix anything that arises.

So now I wait for my metal guy to finish the stand.  I went and saw him today.  He has all the metal cut and will be tacking it together for me to approve the welding.  Hopefully within a few weeks I will have something to take pictures of and post on this thread.

Scott D.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:42 PM »
Scott I bet you have all the problems and then some.   :-D  Totally just kidding.  Congrats on your oven choice and purchase.  Maybe we can go through the growing pains together.   :-\  Misery loves company right?    :-D  Again, I'm just teasing ya.  You'll be taking your pies to the next level soon enough I'm sure.   Congrats again and I look forward to seeing it all set up with a fire inside.

Chau

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »
Beautiful Finish on the oven!! I love the way you finished it, and that  stand is very sweet ride for your new baby.  also looks very well constructed. You can wheel that baby anywhere the party is eh? Very curious in the cost of stands like this If you dont want to share thats ok.  I am thinking you are a mason of some type? As for the floor tiles During my exhaustive research research I have heard of no less than 5 other people  who have had either cracks or pitting so we are still only up to .1 % I  guess. As for the insulation board  personally I am not a fan of what Forno uses seems soft? and oven may settle over time?   see pics below. thumb is pressed into the forno board and  the oher is what  is used under my new oven did you say in the post  you can only get the floor to 600 degrees?
Happy Cooking!!
John

I used to do some metal fab work for race cars but my dad is the one who does mason work.  we took a 200lb slab of stone and trimmed it to fit the base of the oven.  we both took 3 different tiles colors and smashed then and one by one applied it to the oven dome.  ive gotten the oven hotter by using better dried wood and reached 800+ no problem.

stainless steel isnt cheap material so id say i spent about 800-1000$ in just material

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
have you guys tried other oven manufactures?  the reason i ask is that i liked the floor hearth that Earthstone used and didnt get pitted like my FB one.

Also have you seen the previous iterations of the FB ovens, basically the 1st gen Premio, Casa, and other ones that were made by companies in Italy like Pavesi and Alfa.  I heard those floors were really nice to work with. 

http://www.alfarefrattari.it/english/refrattari/forni_per_pizzerie/forniperpizzerie.php?fam=specialpizzeria&nome=Special%20pizzeria%20Ovens

http://www.pavesiforni.it/EN/base.php?L=EN

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 03:01:43 AM »
I finally found a metal fabricator to build me a steel pizza oven stand on caster wheels for a descent price.  I am probably going to go with a Forno Bravo Premio2G100 oven.  I am really excited to get started and look forward to sharing the project.  

Scott D.

are you making it out of stainless steel?

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 03:06:51 AM »
It is being made out of steel. I am having it powder coated when it is finished.  Should I be worried?

Scott D.

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
oh i think it should be fine.  i thought about doing mild steel and powercoating it, but after calculating costs i thought stainless was better for me.  especially since i was doing the labor and powercoating can get expensive

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »
Metal stand almost done.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 10:29:37 PM »
Very nice looking stand ! What is the weight of such a steel stand? I assume the casters are very heavy dutyand capable  between the Stand, oven, and enclosure I would be thinking like 750 lb rating for each caster wheel right? What are the encloser plans after you plop on the premo 2g just insulate under/over? and stucco.What holds the oven pieces, in place ? Cant wait to see this one! you must be getting excited as well.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan