Author Topic: My new KA Pro 600 mixer  (Read 4244 times)

Offline joiseystud

My new KA Pro 600 mixer
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:08:45 PM »
Just got my new KA Pro 600 Mixer in Onyx Black today.  I made a 1000g batch of pizza dough.  It did a great job.  My 1st gripe is that the band that goes around the mixer (hyperlink bit.ly/eOtie7)  is bowed out at the location of the switch.  If you look around the band it goes in and out and just looks like poor fitment.  I sent an email to KA for a replacement.  Have you noticed this issue on your KA Pro 600 or is this just bad luck for me?

Offline joiseystud

Re: My new KA Pro 600 mixer - Should I switch to Bosch?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
Since I got a defect shipped I was going to return it.  I am not sure if I should just exchange for another KA600 or bite the bullet and get the Bosch.  The Kitchen Aid did a good job last night on a 1000g batch of dough.  It is also a good deal since it was 318 on amazon with free shipping and there is an additional $40 mfgr rebate for a total of $278.  Is the Bosch really worth the extra $150? 

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
Re: My new KA Pro 600 mixer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
joiseystud,
Yes it is worth it.  Our pro 600 lived 6 months doing pizza dough..The Bosch universal plus is over a year old and hasn't missed a beat..Not only that, it does a much better job of mixing. Read some of the reviews on this form. Then order the bosch.  FYKitchens in Utah has nice kits. You want the universal plus because it has POWER...While you are at it go for broke buy extras...I know they have gotten a lot of my money for extra bowls , etc...

Ed

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:46:14 PM by PizzaProbie »

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:26 PM »
joiseystud,
Yes it is worth it.  Our pro 600 lived 6 months doing pizza dough..The Bosch universal plus is over a year old and hasn't missed a beat..Not only that, it does a much better job of mixing. Read some of the reviews on this form. Then order the bosch.  FYKitchens in Utah has nice kits. You want the universal plus because it has POWER...While you are at it go for broke buy extras...I know they have gotten a lot of my money for extra bowls , etc...

Ed

When did you have your Pro600?  I know they were upgraded with stronger transmission. Did you mix dough only on speed 2?

I think I am going to take my chances with the KA for now.  The 150 is money i need to save right now. I dont plan to do massive weekly batches anyway.  My batches are typically 500g.  Looking at the feedback on Amazon only 1% of reviews were not good.  That is about the same failure rate as the Bosch transmission.  

I am excited to say that KA is sending me a new machine in a yet unannounced stainless steel looking color called (Cocoa Steel) since m black machine was backordered.  Cross your fingers for me...

Does anyone have a KA600 here that can speak up and tell me they are happy with it?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:52:09 PM by joiseystud »

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »
joiseystud,
Our kitchen aid was purchased new in the summer of 09...Your's should live withe 500 gram size dough mix..Ours overheated at 1000 grams.  The internal circuit breaker would pop and we would use ice to cool it down..The bosch on the other hand mixes 1500 or 2000 gram batches without a whimper.. I think the KA is good so long as you don't push it too hard...We never used  the KA above speed 2..We have a old Ka that we can't kill...
Good luck with the new one..

Ed 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:38:38 PM by PizzaProbie »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »
I have done 900 Gbatch in my OLD KA artisan 500 what a mess and a lot of work !
Now it Bosch UP all the way 1000- 2000 g of flour no problemo! LOVE IT!
go for it Yes  its worth the difference in dough. $$  ;D
john
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:10:51 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »

Does anyone have a KA600 here that can speak up and tell me they are happy with it?

joiseystud,

I donít have a Kitchen Aid professional pro 600, but I did buy a Kitchen Aid professional HD on Ebay.  I have been satisfied with it so far.  I have mixed dough on all different speeds. My Kitchen Aid doesnít seem to strain when mixing. I think my Kitchen Aid also has metal gears.

If you are interested I posted pictures of my Kitchen Aid professional HD at Reply 75 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11700.msg109752.html#msg109752

I would love to have a Bosch, but I didnít want to spend that much money either.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
KA are worthless...I've had 2 of them...the artisan and the pro. They overheat and are not good for making pizza dough. I just bought a hobart d300...now that makes dough...lovely.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »
KA are worthless...I've had 2 of them...the artisan and the pro. They overheat and are not good for making pizza dough. I just bought a hobart d300...now that makes dough...lovely.

I just made beautiful 1000g of dough and the machine barely got warm. I kneaded for 8 minutes on setting 3 with half of the flour and all of the liquids (wet knead). Then I did 10 minutes at setting 2.  Once all of the flour is in I think you have to stay on setting 2.  Not 1 and not 3 but ONLY 2.  Maybe that is the spot it is making the most torque.  Next batch I do I will take some thermal readings, but it seems like the machine is plenty strong and should last.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »
I just got done replacing a stripped worm-follower gear on my KA 600 for the second time in 6 months.  After the first one stripped, I made sure to stay at speed 2 or below with dough, and still it failed.  The mixer is only 2 years old and I just really got into bread and pizza about a year ago.  

I just got a new bosch a couple weeks ago and it is immensely better than the KA.  Although, I haven't used it for cookies/cakes or anything like that.  

My dilemma with the KA is that I also own the meat grinder and a very expensive pasta roller set with it.  So, I repaired the KA and am thinking of keeping it just for light duty work and using the attachments.  If it fails again, I will probably repair it one more time and try to dump it on ebay.

I would strongly, strongly recommend going with the Bosch.  It doesn't even break a sweat working dough.

Also note with the KA, they give you a 1 year warranty and then flood you with mail notices offering to sell you an extended warranty.  Ridiculous for such an expensive machine.  I railed at their customer support, but they just said "too bad, so sad" ... not exactly but for all practical purposes.

You can buy the replacement gears online pretty cheap and also need to plunk down $20 for the food grade grease.  All told, it will cost you around $20 to $35 to repair a gear each time it fails.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
How big are the batches you were doing on your KA?  Maybe if I keep them small enough?

Offline bradtri

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 10:19:52 PM »
The normal batch was 3-4 cups of flour.  Honestly, if you have the option to return it and get the Bosch, I would do that.  My experience and virtually every other post on the internet has shown that the KA will not hold up if you are making bread dough on a regular basis.  I've yet to hear of anyone say their Bosch has failed and most are saying that the Bosch is lasting 20+ years.  Even just after 10 years, the $150 difference will seem negligible. 

Back when KA's were made my Hobart (like my Mom's), they were indestructible.   Now they are cheap foreign junk .....

Sorry for being so blunt, but that's how I feel.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
So now just to convince my wife to allow a white appliance on the counter ;-)  Too bad the Bosch is not available in colors.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
 Now they are cheap foreign junk .....

I was under the impression the KA was american made. Is that not the case?

Offline bradtri

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
I may stand corrected on the place of manufacture as I found the NPR story from 2009.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112620794

But a few hits down on my search turned up this thread:  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 09:41:43 PM »
I may stand corrected on the place of manufacture as I found the NPR story from 2009.  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112620794

But a few hits down on my search turned up this thread:  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/kitchenaid_mixers.html

The site is all horror stories.  I guess if there was a site called "IloveMyKitchenAid.com"  it would dwarf the negative one.

google i love my kitchenaid and you get 1.65million hits

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
Just got my new KA Pro 600 Mixer in Onyx Black today.  I made a 1000g batch of pizza dough.  It did a great job.  My 1st gripe is that the band that goes around the mixer (http:\\bit.ly/eOtie7)  is bowed out at the location of the switch.  If you look around the band it goes in and out and just looks like poor fitment.  I sent an email to KA for a replacement.  Have you noticed this issue on your KA Pro 600 or is this just bad luck for me?

Offline larryroohr

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
Joisey,

The story I've gleaned the last few months is KA was bought out by a large appliance manufacturer a few years ago. Old KA = good, recent KA = not good. That could explain your google hits for "love my KA".

I loved my old KA too, got a hankering for the bigger pro model and ordered one, gave the old one to the ex wife. Big mistake. The thing smells like a burning motor doing a dough. Did the research I should have done in the first place and now I know.

I'm keeping it because of all my attachments (meat grinder).

Too bad because the new spiral dough hook is excellent.

Anyway, I bought the Electrolux and love it, expensive though. The bosch sounds great from everything I've read online.

Just my recent experience 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.

Larry

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »
Joisey,

The story I've gleaned the last few months is KA was bought out by a large appliance manufacturer a few years ago. Old KA = good, recent KA = not good. That could explain your google hits for "love my KA".

I loved my old KA too, got a hankering for the bigger pro model and ordered one, gave the old one to the ex wife. Big mistake. The thing smells like a burning motor doing a dough. Did the research I should have done in the first place and now I know.

I'm keeping it because of all my attachments (meat grinder).

Too bad because the new spiral dough hook is excellent.

Anyway, I bought the Electrolux and love it, expensive though. The bosch sounds great from everything I've read online.

Just my recent experience 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.

Larry

New motors smell like that when they get hot.  This is due to the winding process when the motors are made and varnished. I suspect the Bosch would smell the same if the motor got warm enough.  In my line of work we install and test electrical motors and transformers for industrial.  We install the highest quality equipment and this varnish smell happens under load testing to all of them.

It fades away pretty quickly.(my KA doesnt do it anymore after just a week of almost daily use (i'm excited ok?)

Offline larryroohr

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
Well that's encouraging. Maybe I jumped the gun. Love my electrolux anyway.

Still, in my research, misguided or not, I saw instances where older KA owners just didn't understand the complaints of the new KA owners whose machines were burning out.

The other thing is the bowl is a much thinner steel, the hook to drive attachment is looser, definitely cost reduced IMO. But if you cost reduce right you don't loose quality or reliability, and mine in fact hasn't failed as I stopped using it after it stunk up the kitchen.

Anyway, hope the complaints are isolated and it keeps chugging away for you, they are great assuming it does. Had my old one for 20+ years and I understand your excitement.

pizzapan