Author Topic: My new KA Pro 600 mixer  (Read 3771 times)

Offline joiseystud

Re: My new KA Pro 600 mixer
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
Well that's encouraging. Maybe I jumped the gun. Love my electrolux anyway.

Still, in my research, misguided or not, I saw instances where older KA owners just didn't understand the complaints of the new KA owners whose machines were burning out.

The other thing is the bowl is a much thinner steel, the hook to drive attachment is looser, definitely cost reduced IMO. But if you cost reduce right you don't loose quality or reliability, and mine in fact hasn't failed as I stopped using it after it stunk up the kitchen.

Anyway, hope the complaints are isolated and it keeps chugging away for you, they are great assuming it does. Had my old one for 20+ years and I understand your excitement.

Im not saying youre wrong.  I'm just willing to take my chances to save the 150 for now.  Everything I am seeing so far tells me this thing should last long.  I hope it does.  If not then I really hope it fails during the warranty so I can get it replaced then it will be on ebay next day ;-) and I will buy the Bosch.

Offline larryroohr

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 05:07:01 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to make a bunch'o'pizza.

If you havnt tried it yet try some Tartine bread, made my first batch last night and I'm amazed. If you search Tartine over on The Fresh Loaf forum someone basically laid out the whole process in a review. I've never experienced such billowy soft doughballs, was an eye opener. And I was pretty sloppy with the procedure, next batch I do (2 loaves) one loaf is turning into pizza crust. Plenty of good info on this forum as well. The whole book is excellent reading, recommend it.

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44:02 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to make a bunch'o'pizza.

If you havnt tried it yet try some Tartine bread, made my first batch last night and I'm amazed. If you search Tartine over on The Fresh Loaf forum someone basically laid out the whole process in a review. I've never experienced such billowy soft doughballs, was an eye opener. And I was pretty sloppy with the procedure, next batch I do (2 loaves) one loaf is turning into pizza crust. Plenty of good info on this forum as well. The whole book is excellent reading, recommend it.

Thanks for the info on Tartine.  I put the book "Tartine Bread" in my Amazon wishlist. 

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
Just got my new KA Pro 600 Mixer in Onyx Black today.  I made a 1000g batch of pizza dough.  It did a great job.  My 1st gripe is that the band that goes around the mixer (hyperlink bit.ly/eOtie7)  is bowed out at the location of the switch.  If you look around the band it goes in and out and just looks like poor fitment.  I sent an email to KA for a replacement.  Have you noticed this issue on your KA Pro 600 or is this just bad luck for me?

Just got the replacement of my KA Pro 600.  They didnt have Onyx black so they offered me a new yet unreleased color in the new "Architect's series".  The color is called Cocoa Steel.  Here is a photo. Full size photo at this link http://vhis2w.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pZJJJxUJ_LwENl043gJ5RDw8t63FZnPvUE02smnGdpp99M1q7v-7JykrDAvMbyPdo_IEYRaIHMDfxfTUEL_gYK6eJ4eQxlHM1/100_0470%20(2).jpg?psid=1
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:59:51 PM by joiseystud »

Offline waynesize

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
I have had my KA Pro 6 for six or seven years now.  I got it from Amazon for $175! It was a refurbished unit.  I have been making 40 ounce batches of 63% hydration pizza dough nearly once a week for three years. No problems at all. It never overheats or smells like it is getting hot.  That being said, my experience with the Kithcen Aid is all positive.  I hope you get great service from yours.

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
Several of you have mentioned buying the Bosch equipment from FYKitchen here in Utah; are they the only US dealer?  The reason I ask is that the store is literally walking distance from my house, and I've attending several cooking classes there (including, ha, pizza-making!).  
I use a Kitchenaid Artisan which is about twelve years old, it gets warm after 20 minutes of kneading but I've never had a problem, guess I got one of the "old" ones.  I've only used the slowest speed, may have to try the second speed sometime.  
Joiseystud, I love the finish on your new mixer! 
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
Sorry to Hijack this topic but maybe someone can offer some advice.

I put my attachments in the dishwasher and they turned black (Oxidized I think) is there anyway to clean them?  I Googled and tried to clean them with a citrus cleaner but there's still a few smudges when I rub them with paper towel.  

Edit To Add:

Put them in a 1:1 Boiling Water and Vinegar solution which immediately turned Grey so I think that's shifted some of it!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:17:35 PM by Mick.Chicago »

Offline kevinsky

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 07:05:44 PM »
new king of the hill is the Cuisinart sm55 (5.5qt.) and the sm70 (7qt.).  $249 and $349 (no shipping fee) at Everything Kitchens

Offline tjkoko

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
My KA Pro 600 purchased in 2001 lasted just under a year until the head worked itself loose.  Still under warranty, it was exchanged for a new unit that smoked immediately upon the first startup.  Got my money refunded and I now knead all my doughs manually.  If I were ever to get another mixer, I'd spend less than $800 to get a real HOBART N50 5 quart mixer from ebay.  Built like a tank, the N50's have a 3 speed metal transmission and are used in commercial settings nationwide.

That stated, over the years most the of reviews I've read favor the Bosch over the KA's hands down.

The older KA's built thru the very early '90's were well built, too, but the reputation of the newer ones seem very splotchy.  So get either the Bosch or the Hobart which should last a lifetime.

Oh, and I've heard that for awhile back in the 90's and early 2000's, KA was bought out by Whirlpool.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:31:48 AM by tjkoko »
Home bread baker for 10 years.