Author Topic: Wood fired oven, I want no rise  (Read 1306 times)

Offline pborutin

Wood fired oven, I want no rise
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
I love cooking pizza in my restaurant, we have a wood fired oven that we use for a variety of tasks, but mainly pizza. I keep the deck around 750 and our pizza's usually cook in about 2:30 seconds. I know its not really Neapolitan but its hard to classify, not cracker like either. My hydration rate is around 50%, and we use a 50/50 mix KA Special and a 00 flour. We mix until the gluten is developed and do a short rest then ball it and put it into the fridge for 24 hours. I pull out a few at a time to make the skins. Because we are short staffed we usually have a few skins on hand that just need to be topped.

our goal is to have virtually no rise, and a dough that can support a bunch of great and heavy California toppings with out sagging. I need to make a really strong dough that can stand up to the toppings and will like a 24/36 hour usability range.

Thanks,

Phil

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Wood fired oven, I want no rise
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:14 PM »
Have you tried bocking?

Offline pborutin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »
docking, or docking? no we don't dock, currently there is really no need. we just need a stronger dough that can handle the heavy greasy toppings and last 24/36 hours in the fridge

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:52 PM »
Is your current dough rising too much during the bake, and you want to cut that down? What percentage of yeast are you using? Last question: you want a strong dough in the sense of holding it up without sagging?

John

Offline pborutin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
we use just under 3oz for 25lbs of flour, our current dough does not rise a lot, so I guess that I am looking for a dough that is stronger to support the weight of toppings. It also needs to be able to last in the fridge for 24- 36 hours.

Thanks

Offline pborutin

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
I was thinking of lowering the water or changing the flour mix %, use more of the high protein flour like 70/30

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
that will help, but you will get more browning.    Lowering your temp will help the most.   Its hard to get lots of toppings on any thin crust high temp pizza.  A thicker crust or keeping the pizzas small will help too.  

the usability window is all about getting the right yeast amount.   The amount depends on a lot of factors including the temp of your water, friction factor of your mixer, temp of your walk in, how fast you form balls etc.   A good place to start for a 24 hour fridge rise is around .4%, maybe more with a dough that dry.   You should see the dough at least double before you use it, and if not up the yeast slightly and try again.  None of this (yeast amount) will effect the way it holds up to toppings as long as the dough is always proofed the proper amount.

Good luck!  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 08:46:45 PM by scott r »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
I think it would help to see the entire recipe, preferably by weights of ingredients as much as possible. Also, it might help to know what size pizzas you are making and the dough ball weights that correspond to the pizza sizes.

I also wouldn't ignore the temperatures, especially of the water used to make the dough and the finished dough temperature.

Peter

Offline pborutin

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
I like to use about a 9oz dough ball and that gets me a pie about 13-14 around. as for the rest of the ingredients its just a bit of salt and sugar. I don't use any oil or fancy stuff. I like what you said about lowering the oven temp. What would be a good guide line for the resting and balling process. I don't know how much of that would effect the strength of the dough. but the pizza's that are cooked longer are great in the center, but tend to be crispy and crackly on the edges, is there any way to get the best of both worlds?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
I have done a leftover cracker crust in the WFO , yes lower temp required, and it came out great! Thats down around a 36% hydration recipes on this forum main page, I think this type of dough  would require a sheeter for any type of production setting. But sure can hold up a topping!
Matter o fact I am going to try this again soon as I have not done cracker in some time  :'(
One of my favs!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com