Author Topic: Steel Pan Woes... Suggestions?  (Read 5842 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Steel Pan Woes... Suggestions?
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
Have you ever heard of flaxseed oil for seasoning? It's the most durable method of seasoning cast iron. I've not tried it on steel but I think I'll give it a shot the next time I have some pans to season. Here's the site with the info: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I think her chemistry is a bit wonky but the results are stellar! Cook's Illustrated tested this and said it will even stand up to a trip through a commercial dishwasher. I've seasoned all my Lodge pots and pans and it's terrific.

The most important thing is to put on extremely thin layers, most people have problems because they try to rush the job and use too much oil.

I'm trying this right now, about to do my fourth coat, but so far, so good, and I'll post the results after I try to bake a pizza this weekend.  In the meantime, I just wanted to mention, for anyone else thinking of trying this method, that you can get a one pint bottle of flax seed oil at Trader Joe's for $8.00, which I think is considerably cheaper than what a health food store would charge.

Gene

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »

PizzaBinge,

If you are going to try one of lloyds pans all you have to do is use the expanded dough calculation tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html and check the box that says Rectangular and then put in the size pan you are using and keep all the percentages the same including the yeast amount you want to use. 

Norma

Thanks, Norma! I'm gonna order the pan tonight. I can't wait to try this out. I'm currently using 3 identical pans which I seasoned, but there are some inconsistencies between the crusts; hopefully the Lloyd's pan will eliminate this issue.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 08:07:00 AM »
PB;
Yes, that would be the black Dura Coat finish. Doing the math, your 12 X17 pan is 204-square inches (L X W)
and the 13 X 18 is 234-square inches, a difference of 30-square inches (larger) so, dividing 30 by 204 we get a 14.7 (call it 15%) increase in pan size, so if you're making one dough for one pan, you will need to increase your dough size by 15%. If you have dough left over after filling the pan, then you will need to go with using the "dough factor" method for calculating the weight of dough needed for the new pan size. In this case you would divide the dough weight used with the 12 X 17-inch pan and divide that number by 204 (the surface area) to get your dough loading factor aka dough weight per square inch of pan surface area. Now all you need to do is to multiply the dough factor by the square inches in your new pan size (234) and you will get the dough weight needed for your new pan. Here's a neat trick, put your dough formula into bakers percent and add up all of the percentages (you'll probably get something around 164), move the decimal point two places to the left so now you would see 1.64 and divide the total dough weight by this number, the result will be the flour weight needed to make your new dough size, once you have the flour weight the rest is easy to calculate the amounts of each ingredient. Or, you can just use the conversion tables.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »
Thanks, Norma! I'm gonna order the pan tonight. I can't wait to try this out. I'm currently using 3 identical pans which I seasoned, but there are some inconsistencies between the crusts; hopefully the Lloyd's pan will eliminate this issue.

In case anyone is interested or not aware, Lloyd now offers its pans in the traditional Detroit-style sizes, 8x10 and 10x14:  http://www.lloydpans.com/SearchByKeyword?word=detroit

Gene

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Have you ever heard of flaxseed oil for seasoning? It's the most durable method of seasoning cast iron. I've not tried it on steel but I think I'll give it a shot the next time I have some pans to season. Here's the site with the info: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I think her chemistry is a bit wonky but the results are stellar! Cook's Illustrated tested this and said it will even stand up to a trip through a commercial dishwasher. I've seasoned all my Lodge pots and pans and it's terrific.

The most important thing is to put on extremely thin layers, most people have problems because they try to rush the job and use too much oil.

I am trying this method (baking on my fifth coat at this very moment), but am wondering:  The flax see oil I'm using - organic, from Trader Joe's - has a little bit of "grit" in it - tiny bits of flax seed?  I wipe out the pan between coats as vigorously as I can, I can't get all of out.  After pan bakes and cools, when I run my fingers across the surface, they "catch" occasionally (maybe about every inch or so) on a tiny bit of "grit" that seems to have bonded to the pan - or at least, scraping the bit of "grit" with my fingernail does not dislodge it.

I've only used the Trader Joe's oil; are all flax seed oil brands like this?  Is this okay?  Has anyone else using the flax seed oil method experienced this?  Will these little bits of "grit" cause the cheese to stick to the sides of the pan, even though the overall surface feels smooth?

Thanks.

Gene

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
In case anyone is interested or not aware, Lloyd now offers its pans in the traditional Detroit-style sizes, 8x10 and 10x14:  http://www.lloydpans.com/SearchByKeyword?word=detroit
Gene,

I think your link may be for the lids but I found that this one works for the pans: http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/rectangular-pans-and-disks/detroit-style-deep-dish.

Based on the post at Reply 27 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16820.msg164427.html#msg164427, it looks like Lloyd Pans has been offering the Detroit style pans since about 2011.

Peter

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
Gene,

I think your link may be for the lids but I found that this one works for the pans: http://www.lloydpans.com/standard-pans/pizza-tools/rectangular-pans-and-disks/detroit-style-deep-dish.

Based on the post at Reply 27 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16820.msg164427.html#msg164427, it looks like Lloyd Pans has been offering the Detroit style pans since about 2011.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the correction.  I wanted to post the info because one of the other posters was trying to recalculate his dough recipe to accommodate his different-size pan.  That may be the size he wanted and/or may not want to spend money on traditionally-sized pans, but it also occurred to me that he might be recalculating because he did not know that traditional-sized Lloyd pans are now available.

Gene

Offline dineomite

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »
I've only used the Trader Joe's oil; are all flax seed oil brands like this?  Is this okay?  Has anyone else using the flax seed oil method experienced this?  Will these little bits of "grit" cause the cheese to stick to the sides of the pan, even though the overall surface feels smooth?

The flaxseed oil I used was nice and smooth like olive oil. There were no bits of anything in the actual oil. I bought this stuff at Whole Foods for around $12. With cast iron these thin coats seem to do the trick in about 6 applications. These pizza pans seem to need more (but they also heat up and cool down a lot faster). I put about 10 coats on mine and it turned out great. I actually stripped a very heavy liege waffle maker using the elctrolysis method used in this link:
http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php
Using electrolysis and then the flaxseed oil, resulted in a phenominal finished product. The finish is very hard and has no tackiness at all.

Offline redox

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
I am trying this method (baking on my fifth coat at this very moment), but am wondering:  The flax see oil I'm using - organic, from Trader Joe's - has a little bit of "grit" in it - tiny bits of flax seed?  I wipe out the pan between coats as vigorously as I can, I can't get all of out.  After pan bakes and cools, when I run my fingers across the surface, they "catch" occasionally (maybe about every inch or so) on a tiny bit of "grit" that seems to have bonded to the pan - or at least, scraping the bit of "grit" with my fingernail does not dislodge it.

Thanks.

Gene

I bought a bottle of Barleans from a local health food for about $10. Nice and smooth, nothing solid in it at all. It's available from Amazon, too.
Did you try running it through a fine mesh strainer or a coffee filter?