Author Topic: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza  (Read 28524 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza
« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »
I'd actually prefer to have another pizza geek make me a crude manual sheeter and sell it to me for a little more than it cost to make it (or something like that).
Therein lies the problem. Unless you're set-up to crank(pun intended)these out you can quickly have quite a few hrs. into this type of thing with ordering special parts, running around to hardware store, metal stock shop, the build, package and ship, etc. Multiply those hrs by what the man's time is worth.....well, you know.... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »
There's a reason why I said "(or something like that)" instead of not saying "(or something like that)." Or something like that.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2013, 12:15:12 AM »
Yep....I like the way you think. Well, something like that , if you know what I mean.  ;D

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
Also SquirrelFlight,

Your dough formula is unbelievably stiff for a laminated crust and would probably make you happier if it had some fat in it. I wouldn't even think about trying to laminate that dough (but I would be willing to try it for a single-layer crust). I'd suggest increasing the hydration to at least 43% and also adding 2%-5% fat. My current Tommy's dough is 43% hydration plus 5% shortening, and it's as stiff of a dough as I would even consider laminating by hand. And with each one I make, I think maybe it's still a little more crispy/crunchy than it needs to be.

I'll go ahead and give this a try.  Crispy/crunchy *is* what I'm looking for, after all.  Thanks!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
The percentages I listed are specifically for dough made of either Pillsbury AP or Gold Medal AP. If I was trying to get the same result with KAAP, I'd probably do about 40% hydration, if not a little lower. This is based on the fact that when I switched from KAAP to Pillsbury, I had to increase the hydration of my dough by about 5% to make my Pillsbury dough feel the same as my KAAP dough. But since that was a very soft deep dish dough, I can't say for sure how it might translate for a stiff cracker style dough.

All I know is that 43% hydration plus 5% shortening is working real good for me when I use Pillsbury AP. If you use those percentages with either Pillsbury AP or Gold Medal AP, expect a very crispy crust, with perhaps a bit of crunch.

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
I know it's been a while, but I finally got around to trying again.

In the interest of making small changes, I used my formula from above with the following changes:
0.6% yeast
AP flour instead of the BRM (it's what I had on hand)
I baked at about 500 (the best my apartment's oven can manage) on a stone.

I used a locally brewed Scottish ale for the beer.

Unfortunately, I screwed up my shaping schedule, so it didn't laminate very well.

However, it did come out with a nice flavor, with something like the "crunch" (and structural strength) I was looking for.

I plan to try again soon, this time getting my schedule right to see if that will make the lamination I'm looking for.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »
Good to see you still at it! We must be on the same wavelength. I have skins chillin' for tonight. Dinner at 6 pm, photos to follow shortly thereafter.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »
Pizza came out super crispy tonight. A little too much heat on the rim, but good nonetheless. Also made an all cheese for the kiddos. This was actually scrap dough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
I get the cheese crispies!   :D

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
The cheese is an 80/10/10 blend of Mozz/provolone/cheddar from a company called Schreiber. My local Costco sells it. It's convenient and easy, but not the best tasting blend for this purpose. I may be rethinking some of the ingredients I have been using because I am out of ideas for changing the crust. THAT SMELL still eludes me. I'll probably die not knowing what it is.  :( I must say though, I took the trash out then came back in the house and the aroma was intensely wonderful. I wonder is it's just the accumulation of this aroma and grease in a pizza joint that makes it smell that way. Throw in a few spilled beers on the carpet for that "dank" bar smell and there you have it. Gee that would be so disappointing to have that revelation.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:43:54 AM by DNA Dan »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:38 PM »
I wonder if `the smell` could maybe come from the sauce burning in the oven. I once worked at a joint that used pureed regular old spanish onion in their sauce....that place smelled too good when you first walked in. Especially in the middle of a Chicago winter....step into that nice warm pizzeria and the smell would literally wrap it`s arms around you an give ya a big ole pizza hug.   8)

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
I should probably search craigslist for some 1970's or 1980's pizza booths. I might be able to scrape the resin off of them for further analysis.  ::)

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »
THAT SMELL still eludes me. I'll probably die not knowing what it is.  :( I must say though, I took the trash out then came back in the house and the aroma was intensely wonderful. I wonder is it's just the accumulation of this aroma and grease in a pizza joint that makes it smell that way. Throw in a few spilled beers on the carpet for that "dank" bar smell and there you have it.

I think you may be on to something there, Dan.  ;)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline ChR0n1k

• I Love Pizza!
    • A Great Pizza
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
aaand now i'm hungry for a pizza.. lunch couldn't come sooner.  That cheese crispy looks UNREAL!!!  :chef:

pizzapan