Author Topic: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza  (Read 27459 times)

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »
Okay, this hobby of mine has officially reached the "obsession" stage! :-D

I am now the proud owner of a Belleco Maestro conveyor pizza oven. It has separate top and bottom heating controls, an 18" wide conveyor, with up to a 4" clearance, and the entire unit is pretty compact. You want singed pepperoni?? Oh yeah BABY! I still need to get a 240V outlet installed in my garage. This should hopefully kick my pies up a notch. I can't wait to start cooking on it. I just can't imagine all the possibilities - pretzels, cookies, hot wings, you name it! Stay tuned, there's some good cooking up ahead! :chef:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
DNA Dan,

Congratulations.......nice score!!

I know you"ll put it to good use.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
DNA Dan,

Congratulations.......nice score!!

I know you"ll put it to good use.

Bob

Ditto.  Looking forward to future experiments and results.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
wow, hope you don't mind if I ask, but how much did that thing cost you?   :chef:

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
wow, hope you don't mind if I ask, but how much did that thing cost you?   :chef:

I paid $1K USD cash. Found a guy on craigslist who purchased a bakery and was looking to make it into cafe. His third restaurant he said. They go for about $3500 new.

The closest thing to this one is the cheaper TS7000 from Omcan which can be had on ebay around 600-800USD but the manufacturer states it's not for fresh dough. Only par bake and frozen stuff. Also the Omcan is only a 14" conveyor and I would have to change from my current 16" format. The Belleco was significantly more money, but I feel better about it since it's actually marketed for fresh doughs. Whether that's a super thin NY or laminated style is yet to be seen, but I am feeling like I got a good deal.

I have my black coated pizza disks from American metalcraft on the way!

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
What a steal Dan, way to go! 

Offline David Deas

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Okay, this hobby of mine has officially reached the "obsession" stage! :-D

I am now the proud owner of a Belleco Maestro conveyor pizza oven. It has separate top and bottom heating controls, an 18" wide conveyor, with up to a 4" clearance, and the entire unit is pretty compact. You want singed pepperoni?? Oh yeah BABY! I still need to get a 240V outlet installed in my garage. This should hopefully kick my pies up a notch. I can't wait to start cooking on it. I just can't imagine all the possibilities - pretzels, cookies, hot wings, you name it! Stay tuned, there's some good cooking up ahead! :chef:

Oh yeah, Baby!!  Congrats!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
Dan,

Can't wait to see what you can crank out of that oven! Congrats!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Your pizzas look outstanding Dan.  I'm gonna give this a go this later this month and will post the pics and give you feedback.  The I've never seen bubbling like that on the bottom before!
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement and kind words everyone. I have my outlet installed and I am bummed I don't have any dough ready! The wire for this plug is some thick stuff - about the diameter of a dime! Still waiting on my perforated pizza disks from American Metalcraft. I have some good ingredients lined up and a local microbrew single hop pale ale. Getting closer.. I better make a triple batch so I can dial in the speed.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »
I still haven't received my perforated disks, but I just could not wait to use the oven. I ended up using a coupe style pan that was perforated. I have also been trying some different flours. The following pizzas were made with GM Remarkable flour. In a nutshell, I wasn't impressed. The dough was much softer at the same 48% hydration I always use. This might be a good flour for the rolling pin folks to give a try. I didn't get as many blisters on the dough as I do with All Trumps, but it was super easy to sheet. I could easily see this flour in the low 40's hydration range.

First up, some leftover Easter ham diced up with some pineapple. Ran it through too fast, so I cranked it up and actually used my peel to push it back in the conveyor, so I burnt one side a bit. First the prep, then going into the oven, then the final pie.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »
Next up a larger pie. Pepperoni, Mushrooms (raw), sausage (raw) and fresh garlic. I figure the even heating oven with adequate top heat should allow me to put all raw ingredients on my pies now. First shot is the prep, then the final pie.

Still trying to get the hang of the oven. I don't feel I did too bad for my first pass at it. I think due to the shortness of the oven, the pizza is better cooked slower at a lower temperature. This puts it around the 10 minute mark. I know this is different from RT, but their ovens are longer and probably have more heating elements in them. There is also a height adjustment on the ends for thicker pizzas and clearance for higher toppings, but I think raising this just evacuates the heat quicker.

I re-read a bunch of threads regarding the Patsy's pizza Jeff cloned a while back and I think I need to start taking another look at preferements for more flavor. I know the california three don't use that in their dough, but after seeing how it could be dried, ground up and put in the mix bag, I think it's entirely feasible this could still be the magic bullet to that peculiar parlour smell of these places. I also didn't think about supplementing my brewer's yeast experiments with more ADY just to get the rise out of it. It never occured to me to use a combination approach. This opens up a whole new area for me because some of the brewer's yeasts had good flavors, but did not perform properly with the layers on the sheeter or my weaker old oven. I think I am in a better position now to re-try some of those experiments. Anyone reading this in possession of the Patsy's culture or other cultures care to share please IM me. Thanks!

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
Oh and I might add that singed pepperoni IS part of the taste of the RT pies. The few pieces I had that were singed on the rim of my pie tasted closer to the real deal.

Side note #2 - I think I need to get an exhaust fan for my garage. You should have seen the neighbor's face when I opened the garage door up! It was a total Cheech and Chong moment! :-D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:36:08 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »
Oh, man, Dan, those pizzas both look AWESOME!!! 8)

Now I am hungry for pizza for lunch, but I know whatever I can find near me right now will not be as good as those 2 lovelies you made. 

So, in your estimation, what do you think of the conveyor oven?  I have generally been very skeptical of them in the past, but recent visits to a local pizza restaurant and my visits to RT's have me starting to come around to that way of cooking a pizza in terms of acceptability.

Keep up the great work, and  keep posting those pics.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
I'm really digging it so far. I think what this style really needs is good top heat. This gives a more uniform puffiness to the crust. In my previous oven which had little top heat, the crust would be puffy starting from the rim, but the center would cook before it had the chance to puff up.

The other advantage is the heating time. I can be ready to cook in 15 minutes as opposed to waiting for a stone to get hot. 

Some more direct improvements I saw right away were 1) The singed pepperoni. I will be trying to tweak that direction more since that added a noticeable smoky flavor to the overall pizza. 2) The pan on the conveyor approach gave a more "fried" feel to the crust. I used some PAM spray on the pan and it sizzles in the oven so the crust is super crispy fried. This could probably be reproduced in a regular oven. It's really that blast of hot air from above that makes the bake greatly improved.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2012, 12:29:58 AM »
Just to convince myself that it's the yeast byproducts that flavor the dough I thought of a good experiment for tonight's pie with some of the CY that I recently purchased. I took 100g of yeast and heated it into 2 cups of water. I let this simmer for ~10 minutes to kill all the yeast. I then used this dead cell mass stock to supplement 50% of the water in my recipe. After trying the pizza resulting from this, I am now convinced that the flavor is not from the yeast cells alone, but it's all the byproducts that these critters make. I know this may be obvious to some, but I needed to prove it for myself. I am cultivating some starters now and will be engineering my own in the coming months by trying to create a symbiosis with some brewer's yeasts. There are a few I tried in the past that had good flavor similar to the beer instead of water approach. I was originally turned off because of the lack of gassing power, but the Patsy's thread has reinvigorated my interests in using a sourdough culture for FLAVOR, then getting my performance issue corrected with ADY spiked in.

Still tweaking the oven settings, but this was my latest pie tonight from the dead yeast cell experiment. I actually sheeted this right before cooking it. Oven settings were 425 bottom, 450 top, speed setting 50. (Whatever that means!) This one came out so pretty I had to pan it and serve it on the table. The crust however lacked the flavor of the beer method.  This one is an American combination. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:35:44 PM by DNA Dan »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
Dan,

Picture perfect my man....very nice!!
Please keep after your smell/flavor experiments...there are many of us awaiting your success, Thanks,

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline politon

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
Awesome looking pie..congrats!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
Just to convince myself that it's the yeast byproducts that flavor the dough I thought of a good experiment for tonight's pie with some of the CY that I recently purchased. I took 100g of yeast and heated it into 2 cups of water. I let this simmer for ~10 minutes to kill all the yeast. I then used this dead cell mass stock to supplement 50% of the water in my recipe. I am convinced that the flavor is not from the yeast alone, but it's all the products that these critters make. I know this may be obvious to some, but I needed to prove it for myself. I am cultivating some starters now and will be engineering my own in the coming months by trying to create a symbiosis with some brewer's yeasts. There are a few I tried in the past that had good flavor similar to the beer instead of water approach. I was originally turned off because of the lack of gassing power, but the Patsy's thread has reinvigorated my interests in using a sourdough culture for FLAVOR, then getting my performance issue corrected with ADY spiked in.

Still tweaking the oven settings, but this was my latest pie tonight from the dead yeast cell experiment. I actually sheeted this right before cooking it. Oven settings were 425 bottom, 450 top, speed setting 50. (Whatever that means!) This one came out so pretty I had to pan it and serve it on the table. The crust however lacked the flavor of the beer method.  This one is an American combination. Enjoy!

WOW!!! :o

That looks exactly like an RT pizza, complete with the cooked sauce at the edge.  Oh man, Dan, you have me really rethinking this thing.  I am just not sure I could afford a conveyor oven (or where I would put it, for that matter).  I think I still need to think about getting a sheeter before I would get one of these ovens, but your pics really show off some great results and have turned me around on my opinion of conveyor ovens.

Thanks!

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
I think you'd be wise to put your money towards a sheeter instead of an oven. With the sheeter alone you can get pretty far with this style. It's been an interesting journey incorporating commercial equipment along the way. I have a product that is gradually looking and becoming more "commercial". Even my wife yesterday said, "that looks like a pizza you just brought home".

I could have put it in a pizza box and you wouldn't know that some nut job made that at his house in his garage. :-D

pizzapan