So, I finally got around to trying this again. I used, roughly, the formula I gave above, except that I used the 60/40 beer/water mix (a homemade IPA). I also had a "mystery flour" issue. In the interest of saving space in the pantry, my wife combined everything into a single plastic bin. I'm not entirely sure what it is: KABF, Bob's Red Mill, APF... a mix of all of the above? No way to know. So, I thought I'd try an experiment to see if I could ferret out the right mix "by feel".
I didn't do too badly in that respect, although it was probably a little bit dryer than is optimal.
Also, I started baking on a screen... I think I may be a convert. I took Pete's advice and pre-seasoned it, and haven't had any stickage issues over the two pies I baked on it (sorry, no pics, next time, when I get the hydration better, I may try to snap some before devouring). Still working out the optimal position in the oven. I'm baking ~10min at 450F, and did one on the top shelf and one on the middle shelf. Next time I'll try one down from middle to see how that comes out.
Still isn't looking nearly as nice as DNA Dan's, but I'm pleased with the progress I'm making.